Shadow on keyframe animation

DIYMan

Hi Phil

"....I found it is very easy to accidentally add points without meaning to, when trying to click and drag an existing point for example. ..."

I have to agree but you may notice that the marker changes from open square to orange square if you have grabbed it so that's clue that you aimed correctly. It's sometimes a bit difficult if they are very close together. In the unexpanded preview window they can actually overlap! IMHO I don't think they ever need to be that close as  Feathering should make the outline smoother.

I don't see splitting a clip as being particularly beneficial. If the outline is fairly complex it might be better to start with a number of redundant points that can be used to fill in areas where more accuracy becomes apparent.  Originally I said that a mask can be enlarged. I was wrong, zoom won't work without some phaffy saving of clips first and it's not worth the hassle. Redrawing the mask every 1/2 a second or so (or every few frames) is the probably the best way to proceed. It  is well to remember that the mask can be dragged to the new position and may only require slight alterations. If the enlargement  of the object is regular only two keyframes need be made (Start and End and dragging it to the new position) Also VP transitions smoothly between the two outlines. I think that was what NCH meant when they mentioned mask enlargement was possible.

Nat

In this example no effects were used on the top track.  Before the subject gets to the chair mask, that track overrides.  So, a little cheating in that the chair bounces only once and the cutout isn't perfectly clean.  Nat's method is likely better, but there are only so many hours in the day *_^

Next time, try to more fully isolate the item to be masked;  separating man from chair was tough.

Hi DIYMan

Well......perhaps 30 mins! :rolleyes:

Worked OK here.  All the rough masks....Hope you an make them out. Note you don't have to follow the outline slavishly with this particular project as the background is the same as the object image but make it pretty close where the bench is.

ff.jpg

Nat

Hi @Nationalsolo & @borate

Thank you for you invaluable help. After another 5 frustrating sessions I have finally got the effect that I was after. I think I may have added a couple of nodes by mistake as I was adjusting the polygons. But on export the clip runs smooth. If you want when I finally get the project finished I will post it in here.

Thanks Again Dave.

Good to hear.  A learning experience for everyone.  Seems that the key is to neither add nor delete points.  They must remain constant.

Do post the finished gem.  There's also the Show and Tell 'sticky' at the top of the forum where your efforts can be shared.