Using Effects across Clips

bob-tarrel

I would appreciate any suggestions of how to better create effects across clips.  I have used only pan & zoom, but I would like eventually to use other effects this way as well.

I have been unable either (1) to put two separate pan & zooms on to a single clip OR (2) to extend a pan & zoom across multiple clips.  So I tried the following:

• I created slideshow of 30 images with transitions.
  • I played the slideshow, recorded it with Debut, and saved it as an mp4.
  • I put the mp4 into Videopad where it seems to show as a single clip.
  • My plan was to start pan & zoom in one image and end it in the next image.  And then split where I want the effect to end to allow me to create another effect in the new clip.
  • This didn't work for me - The effects seem to be restricted to the single images even though they are part of a single video.

Can you suggest how I can put images together to allow me to run effects across images or to split large images into multiple clips to allow me to do this.

Perhaps there is some way to use additional tracks to achieve this?

It's possible to invoke two incidents of Pan & Zoom on a single clip but the interaction may prove to be less than ideal.

To span clips with a single effect...

• Select the desired clips, then press <ctrl-C> to copy them.
  • Open a new sequence by clicking the + sign on the Seq 1 tab above the timeline and press <ctrl-V> to paste.  Note that audio won't display, but it's there.
  • Click the focus back to the timeline Seq 1 tab and place the cursor where you want the clips to appear.
  • Click the SEQUENCES tab in the bin (top-left), then right-click on Seq 2 and PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.

Now you can apply the P & Z to this single clip composited clip.

Your method of importing a single clip, then splitting it, should also succeed.  There will be an FX on each newly split-out clip.

Hi bob

Pan & Zoom are all or nothing and act on all the clip, you cannot stop it at any particular point apart from the end. This particular effect was conceived as a Ken Burns effect principally to enhance slideshows.

If you want control over the extent and duration of this type of image movement  you need to use the Zoom effect. The rectangle here can be moved as well as resized making the effect a pan and zoom with the added advantage that you can stop it at any point within the image.

Note also that Effects only work on single clips but some effects (like Zoom ) CAN be fairly easily  made to continue into a second or subsequent image clip. (although TBH I am not sure what you expect to see apart from each image zooming/panning) Anyway, here is how you can zoom from one clip to another which doesn't require you to export first or create sequences..

• Set up dual previews in Options/Display as this makes it easier to monitor things
  • Place all the images on the timeline as per a side show
  • Click the FX for the first image and select Zoom
  • In the graph side of the  zoom properties window move the red cursor line to the start of the clip (LHS)
  • Set the AR and adjust the the zoom rectangle to enclose the required start area.
  • Create a keyframe.
  • Slide the effect cursor line to the end of the clip (RHS)
  • Readjust the rectangle to enclose your mid zoom area.
  • Create a second keyframe. (In effect you have simply done a Pan and Zoom.)
  • Now note down the position values in the zoom effect's parameter window.
  • Close the window
  • Click the FX on the next image clip
  • Select Zoom effect and adjust the red cursor line to the LHS
  • Enter the values you just noted and set the same AR (Nothing should actually alter with the values). The next image will zoom into where the previous image finished.
  • Create a keyframe
  • Move the cursor line to the RHS (or the end point of the zooming action)
  • Adjust the zoom rectangle to the outline the final area
  • Create another keyframe

Your zoom (and pan) should start on the first image and continue onto the second image.

If the second image it different to the first image then it will still just look like a zoom so I am not sure what you are aiming at.:unsure: Nevertheless that's how you can do it.

As mentioned , you can stop the effect at any point by setting the keyframe before the end of the particular image clip and the current parameters will remain in force until the clip ends.

You CAN split an image clip into several if you want but why not just add the image several times Their durations (which default to the global setting in Options)  can easily be adjusted by dragging their ends in and out or by right clicking and selecting Change Duration

Nat

Thank you,

I was hoping to be able to use a Ken Burns effect over a number of images in the way he did in his movie.  I'll work on your suggestions.  Thank you for the detailed instructions - I expect I may be able to accomplish what I want with what you've suggested.

Bob

Hi

"..... I created slideshow of 30 images with transitions.

I played the slideshow, recorded it with Debut, and saved it as an mp4.

I put the mp4 into Videopad where it seems to show as a single clip......"

Saving your slideshow as an mp4 has converted it into a single clip and you no longer have individual slides. For the KB effect you require separate slides.

Currently you have to do this manually per slide which, with a big slideshow is a bit tedious. All the different Pan & Zoom  variations are present from the effects window but have to be used individually or the same effect chain applied applied to all selected clips option used, which is still a bit of a chore.

I have therefore suggested to NCH that they might implement a randomize option for this particular effect as seen in the transition feature. Meaning every slide  (selected slides) got a random pan&zoom (including no pan & zoom.)  This may get implemented shortly

Now...I've been looking at a workaround for you to get an effect to act over a number of clips.

As you can't create a sequence of separate tracks or grouped clips in the timeline -

Do this...

• Put all your slides on the timeline.
  • Where you want an effect to go over a number of clips.....
  • Select and group those clips
  • Drag the group up to Video Track 2 and then back to the start of the track (or close the gap)
  • Click the "eye" at the left end of Video Track 1 to prevent it exporting.
  • Export the project. It will export just your selected clips.
  • Load the exported clip back into VP
  • Delete your grouped clips on Track 2
  • Move the cursor line to the start of the gap in Track 1 where your grouped clips were removed from
  • Place the new clip at the cursor. It will fill the gap.

In effect you will now have a "multiple slide" in the form of a short clip.

Add your effect to this clip.

Nat

• 1 month later...