Strange green bar on exported video

valuenyc

Gosh, I hope someone can help me again. I've barely done anything else for four days and now I have an awful problem.

I'm rendering an MP4 video, and intermittently, a bright green bar is showing up on the right side of the window. I believe that they correspond to places where I made a very very very tiny split. I had to do it to boost the volume and, even more, to mute an annoying click.

Please tell me there is a way to get rid of this. I will be studying it very carefully while watching this space every minute.

Jeanne

EDIT: I might add that I've had other very small fragments before and never seen this. I do believe it is a problem coming from the audio track very specifically.

EDIT 2: I thought it was related to using the mute checkbox in the clip (speaker icon). So I changed that to zero, but it didn't help. This almost never happens when I amplify but it does twice in those clips. So I'm thinking the narrow clips are the problem and I'm really stuck. The clicks are just not acceptable.

And it happens once in the middle of a long clip with no audio effects. That's baffling.

Upload and share, someone will check it out.  Don't upload the export, just the PORTABLE project - per these instructions...

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable, public link to post.

Again a million thanks to both of you, Borate & Nat.

Nat: Correct, the green bars are NOT in the source files I've linked to the VideoPad project, only on the exported *.mp4.  This is the exported video, upload-share.mp4, with the first green bar at about 1:45:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyar3weofr6hre5/upload-share.mp4?dl=0

You'll see no green bars in the project file (upload-share.vpj). Here is the portable project file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ikkelknlpwvv4i/AAAVr5hiYZEwedkPVD8Rfz7Ia?dl=0. The clicks ARE in the source files. You'll find them in many of the most slender clips in the timeline, tho I have muted them. Some other slender clips have the sound amplified.

Thanks so much, 

Jeanne

Hi valuenyc

Still checking for the green line you mention in your post. I have the project from Borate's link and am going through it. Here a few suggestions so far.

Because the project is basically a question/answer style video where the questions are cut out but the answers are recorded, there are  places where the audio needs trimming but straight editing is difficult to do without creating difficulties..For example at around 24 seconds in, the word well has been trimmed off from the reply..... " Well ....for decades...." 

The phrase end up ....(It's an answer to a trimmed off question)..."...for the average listener.... /question/ "For decades...."  Which is OK on paper but here it leaves no gap/pause between the words   listener and For decades  Normally you can extend the split into that few seconds to create a pause, provided the visuals are the same on each clip

This style of interview and editing needs a second or two of silence between the question and the reply without any movement of the interviewee. (but spontaneity need to be maintained which is not easy.)  

In this particular  instance after saying "listener" the interviewee looks down but after the trimmed off "Well" he is looking up. This means that extending the LH clip to get the pause, there is a sudden jump to a different posture in the visuals at the split. So, faced with this how can we get any pause at all and still have reasonably smooth visual. The answer here is to split just after the word listener and then split again where the interviewee's head is about to move.....about 0.18 of a second in this case. All that is needed now is to make this tiny clip play for a around 1second by altering the clip speed to 20.

Now that particular split will play smoothly with hardly any head movement noticed and with a pause between sentences...and no "Well.."    and  No transitions or effects.......

aa.jpg

OK..Now at 1:04 there is something similar   ".....I didn't know myself......" This needs a precise cut at the end of "...myself"  so place the red cursor at this exactly this point (0.01:03.564) and split the clip. Mute the section you trim off. .    (There may be something following this word but it's not intelligible)  Now delete the tiny clip that follows (0.7 s)  and delete the transparency effect on the next clip. Joined up at this point (by closing the gap) we have a similar problem to the one fixed above....there is no pause between the sentences. There is however space at the start of the RH clip so pull the end back to close the gap. Now the tempo between the clips is about correct except the speaker is taking a deep breath just after the split and before the words "...Once after..." This is easily fixed by setting the cursor line just before "..Once after...", splitting the track and muting the audio section containing the intake of breath.

That section now looks like this and plays virtually seamlessly...   Again there are no transitions or effects used.

bb.jpg

The next problem is at 1:37 where you have the same thing. Remove the transparency effect and split the track just before the words "..When you consider..."  (1:38.80).Mute the section to the left of this.The problem here is that between these two takes the camera was moved so smooth over the split with a 1 second crossfade.

You should have the idea with these two examples of the majority of the editing problems and you might solve them. Hope this helps.

Treat all the remaining splits in similar ways....each one might be slightly different.and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I'll complete the remaining joins and see if it exports OK. I haven't yet seen the green bar.

Regards

Nat

Hi again

I have been continuing to work through your video  with VP 8.55.    I have now noticed there is a problem  with the Preview display which may be a bug. This has been reported to the developers.

The right hand side of the frame in the Preview window is showing a narrow strip rather like a scanning artifact  that does not seem to be present on the timeline. It's arrowed here.....

dd.jpg

However the split at 1:03.8 suggests it's a preview window scanning bug as the subjects shoulder moves on both sides of the screen.  At the split at 1:46.13 the band jumps sideways. This may be the origin of your Green band as it is quite noticeable. Wondering why I found that at this split the clip that follows (patches_2-4.mp4) has a Zoom effect added for some reason (perhaps to reduce this band) as well as a Transparency effect in which Opacity is 100%. Neither of which serve any useful purpose   (Scanning through the project however it looked like every  split had a Transparency effect added (most 100% opacity) so I presume this effect was added globally to all clips to be adjusted for fades later. Clicking the FX brings up the Effects pane shown below

ee.jpg

The zoom might have caused the green strip effect you are reporting.   Removing these effects makes no effective difference to the vertical strip. So probably better to remove them all.

Edit:  The strip is NOT an artifact originating from your clip....Its a bug in version 8.55 and has been reported.

I'll still work through your project and see if anything else turns up. I think most of the splits can be edited and made smoother without the need to fade  The best route to removing clicks or small sound anomalies is to zoom in on them and split the audio track on either side and then mute out the noise. If that makes the audio suddenly silent (i.e creates a sound hole) then simply do the splits same on another "normal"  section of audio.(don't mute it of course) and then  copy the bit and  paste it on a lower track under the muted bit. (Effectively filling in the hole with "normal"  background noise.

Nat

Borate, thanks for responding so very quickly. If I'd had to try to sleep without your hotlink, it would have been awful.

Nat, apologies that I was soooooo stressed last night that the minute Borate gave me the link to downgrade, I went right to it and, while I was at it, cleaned up a bunch of shareable links that I'd had lying around for no good reason. Kinda compulsive.

In case there is some small misunderstanding (moot by now), you wouldn't see the green bars in the *.vpj file, only in the exported video. I have a dim recollection that I did see the white line you mention. If so, since it didn't export in a video, I guess I just ignored it. I don't see it here in ver. 8.45.

Wondering why I found that at this split the clip that follows (patches_2-4.mp4) has a Zoom effect added for some reason (perhaps to reduce this band) as well as a Transparency effect in which Opacity is 100%. Neither of which serve any useful purpose

I've noticed pointless effects dialogues a couple of times myself. It is certainly just a rookie mistake, possibly related to splitting a clip. But a rookie mistake in any case. 

You have gone above and beyond with this project. I'll try to digest all this. My main problem is that the talking head has a lamentable habit of swallowing the last words of a paragraph. Then the click came out of nowhere (seemingly). And in addition, there are occasional synch problems in an interview recorded with zoom. It's been one nightmarish day after another. And I'm new here! boo-hoo.

Really, thanks to both of you,

Jeanne

Hi

I'll export it from 8.55 if that's where the problem arises. Haven't seen anything apart from the strip in preview.

:) We're all having a go at this one since it offers challenges to help tidy  it up a bit. :) Listening to the unedited clip  I think that the subject may be reading from a screen text or has some written guides and the click is the questioner clicking a button or something to open up the next page.But perhaps as the diction seems spontaneous enough that's not the case.  It is terribly difficult to do this ...to talk (or read ) to an imaginary audience and be filmed without making a mess and then having to start over. I sympathize. I've done it (and played solo music too) TBH I would rather play with a live orchestra that I am comfortable with than to a computer.  It's frustrating just when you get near the end and mess it up or lose one's train of thought. :)

Nat

A1440 x 720 final output where audio has been 'refined' is available by request.

This is a single track - no edits - but you can overlay or replace various segments and doctor fades if necessary.

The audio will not sync with your original video, so do not try to mix and match the two projects.

Hi Borate

That's an excellent result !  I'm currently 3/4 the way through this but doing it without using any fades. In retrospect looking at your edit, the fades don't intrude at all. (in fact they coverup the slight difference in camera position between zoom_2.mp4   and patches_2-4.mp4)  and in some way seem  to "pace" the presentation. I shan't post my edit now as it won't be any better! :)

Regards

Nat

• borate changed the title to Strange green bar on exported video