Batch export of multiple projects?

Softball Dad

My workflow is simple -- GoPro insists on splitting a 1.5 hour ball game into 6x 15 minute snippets.  I use VideoPad to stitch the snippets into one continuous game-long video that I save to a local NAS (and then upload to YouTube).  No multiple video tracks, no audio track, no subtitles or effects.  Just stitching 4-5 videos together end to end.

As a result, the interaction with Video pad consists of importing the snippets, dragging them to the timeline in order, and then clicking on Export ->  Two or three minutes max.  Then I have to wait 1.5 hours (for 1080P@60 hz) for it to process.  This is a pain, because I typically will have a weekend's tournament worth of games to stitch together (6-8 games).

Is there a way to batch or process multiple projects in parallel?  Looking for some way that I could set up an export of one project and then start another export, then another, etc. -- spend 30-40 minutes up front setting up each game and then let the program chug away overnight.

Is this possible?  Any ideas or workarounds if not? 

Thanks

Dave

Parallel, no.  Cued, yes, if each project is a separate sequence.  Start each export independently.  As soon as one completes VP will move on to the next.

Ideas to reduce overall export time:  lower resolution, frame rate and quality.  Try a different compressor, such as MPEG4, in lieu of H264.

Forgive the ignorance, but not sure how to physically set that up.  I can see how I can add sequences and each sequence would be a different game with a different set of the 4-5 mp4 files that make up a game.  How to export with different names for each sequence?

Or is it (even though it is unclear from the UI) that whatever sequence is on top is what is exported when you click on the export button?  So I would select sequence1, then export to file1.  Select sequence 2, export to file2, etc?

Lower resolution and lower frame rate is not an option because the college coaches want to zoom in on plays and players and see swing/throw mechanics.  Already using Mp4 output.

Try different compressors.  You may see filesize reduction without quality compromise.

Correct, the active sequence is the one that is exported.  Each will have the default name "untitled."  Untitled (1), untitled (2), etc.  They can be renamed later.

Hi Softball Dad

Proceed like this...

• Load the first set  of Game 1 clips and join on together on the timeline
  • Create a Sequence.by clicking the + that follows Sequence 1 X.
  • Right click Sequence 1 in the clip bin and rename it Game 1
  • Load the clips for Game 2 and join them together on the timeline (which have become empty)
  • Create a Sequence.by clicking the + that follows Sequence 2 X.
  • Right click Sequence 2 in the clip bin and rename it Game 2
  • Continue like this until all games are now in the Sequence bin  and have individual names.
  • Click Menu followed by File
  • Select Export All Sequences. Click File. Click Video file (These prompts come up in a wizard style window)You should now be on the usual export window.
  • Set your export parameters
  • Delete the "Untitled" from the file name if you feel it is necessary. (Probably this is an NCH oversight as you have changed the name)
  • Click Create the required number of times to cycle through all the sequences and set the export name for all the games.
  • When the final sequence is complete , (the window will note the number of sequences in the queue) VP will then export each Sequence (game) in turn automatically to the designated export folder.

Nat

Hi

IMHO the fact that you have renamed the files in the Sequence bin but when exported they still have "Untitled" tagged to the name you setup is a bug. (or an oversight) 

I can understand that under normal circumstances any file for export is untitled as it usually consists of several clips each haning their own name and therefore a definitive name is not available.Hence the default of "Untitled".

However when you rename a Sequence ,a presumed complete unit, that name ought to be fixed and therefore used as the default in the export box. Not "Untitled"

It is not logical,  (particularly as VP can automatically export consecutive sequences as individual vdeos)  that one should have edit the name given each time.

This post has highlighted that behaviour

Nat

I think I would add another usability issue -- when clicking on the sequence name in the upper left box, the preview window changes to the sequence clicked on.  However, the sequence is NOT also selected in the editing timeline.  Simultaneously, the export button exports the video on the timeline -- not the video shown on the preview.  Which kind of contravenes the meaning of the word preview...

So, as I discovered last night, clicking on the sequence name to flip the preview to that sequence and then exporting, then the next sequence name, then exporting, etc, for 6 sequences resulted in me waking up this morning with 6 videos of the same game with different names.

Yes.  Lesson learned... :)

Will try the EXPORT ALL method next time.  I was doing it one at a time because I had already renamed the sequences -- so I was highlighting the sequence name, clicking on rename, cntl-c to copy the name, cancel the rename dialog, then export and cntl-v to replace the "untitled".  Trying to save typing time not realizing (or noticing) that clicking on the sequence name did not not actually select the sequence...

Thanks again for your help.

If you run Windows 10, here's a fun exercise...

1.  In edit mode, rename each sequence

2.  Click the SEQUENCES tab in the bin and, for each sequence in turn, right-click it and click PROPERTIES

3.  For each sequence - wipe (highlight) the sequence name, press <ctrl-C> on the keyboard, and close the properties box

4. Click FILE | EXPORT ALL SEQUENCES

5. With the first export box showing, swipe the "untitled" name

6. Click Windows Key + V - to invoke the Windows multiple clipboard and click the appropriate name on the clipboard  -  CREATE

Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each sequence

Hi

I have referred the "Untitled" observation to NCH. This is where " Untitled" is added  to the name when a sequence in the Sequence bin is being exported. They agree that the program doesn't need to do this for sequences  being exported from the bin ,as they already have a name and exporting should use just this name (even if it is Sequence 1)and not have "Untitled" appended to it. They appreciate that the sequences would need then to be renamed again to remove the "untitled" part

This should be fixed in a later version. have to wait and see.

Nat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi

If you mean export multiple projects simultaneously read on.

Open first project, set output settings and start the export procedure, while this is exporting click open again and select the next project. Again, set output settings and start the export procedure. Now two projects are in the "Export Queue". Keep adding projects as you like. If (when) a box opens about saving, click dismiss because nothing has changed. Hope this helps

ELS