RE: Proxy editing

phil_the

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26563-proxy-editing/

This is a great tip, but I noticed that some of my lower resolution proxy files were actually larger than the original higher resolution versions.

This is probably because the program I am using to convert them is converting to a different format (mp4 vs mov) or possibly because it's using a different frame rate.

Is it purely or primarily the resolution that is important here, or is the file size and/or frame rate relevant too?

Thanks
Phil.

Use the same format (Mp4, MOV, etc.) as the original or VP likely won't recognize the substitution.

Videopad itself can be used for conversions.  For example, a 4K file was exported at 854 x 480.  That reduced its size from 188 MB to 13MB.

Resolution should be most effective in reducing the size of the file, leaving it usable for editing while easier for VP to handle.

Thanks for the reply.

Changing filename/extension isn't really a problem as I can use the resolve screen that comes up. 

I have thought about using Videopad to produce the proxies. It would be easier if the export function had an option to export in the original aspect ratio but a different resolution. To be fair, the other program I am using doesn't have that option either, I have just got into the habit of using that, and it is quicker and easier just to do a quick convert.

Even though the proxy files are sometimes bigger on disk, I can confirm that the preview does seem to come up quicker than when using the originals. I just wondered if I ought to consider reducing the frame rate, data rate or other variables too. If you don't think it will make much difference I won't worry about it 🙂

Cheers
Phil.

Yes, RESOLVE works.  But if the file names and formats are identical the substitution process won't require that step.

VP offers choices to export with the same A/R but at a lower resolution.  For example 3840 x 2160 (4K) is 16:9.  So is 854 x 480.  And custom resolutions can be specified.

Reducing frame rate and quality or changing compressors will have an effect.  Experiment to see what works best for you.