Text positioning over image

Peter Mount

I've been positioning text over an image.  It's all in the right position in sequence preview but in the export the text has moved down the image to the wrong position.
I've been positioning it by opening the text clip in clip preview, grabbing hold of it and moving it to the desired position over the image, and, by trial an error (as I can't see the image whilst positioning the text) getting the text to the right position.
Please does anybody know why this is happening, and what I can do to make it stay in the right position.
Many thanks,
Peter

Hi

1. Are you applying a Position effect to your text?  If so then Text should stay where you put it relative to the frame.
  2. What size is the image?

Normally....

• Place your image on Video Track 1 and position the red line cursor at the start (or at least ON) the image clip
  • Click Options/Display and select to show Dual previews. Both previews make it easier to see what is happening.
  • Create your text. and set it centrally with the editor controls. Your text will automatically be placed in the Overlay track (Video Track 2 in a simple example) and appear at the cursor position on the timeline. It will be shown in both preview windows. Clip Preview will show just the text  with a chequered background and in Sequence Preview the text  will be seen superimposed on your background image.
  • Click the FX box at the start of  the text clip and select the Position effect. This places a position rectangle around the text in the Clip Preview window
  • Grab the rectangle and move the text to the required position on the image. Monitor the result in the Sequence Preview window. The text position will update in real time.
  • When satisfied close the effect window

The sequence will now normally play and export with text placed correctly.

Nat

Peter said:  I can't see the image whilst positioning the text.

If the effects window is open for positioning text there is a VIEW button under the preview window.  Click the chevron at the right and choose Clip + Background or Sequence.

Export resolution may alter placement in certain instances.  What is the resolution of the source file and what are the export settings?

Borate/Nat,

Thanks for your help.
Have done all the things you advise but it is still in the wrong position after export - it's in the same place as when I did it before.  (I didn't know about dual previews so that's useful). 
The image is tiny - 36KB - should I have a much larger one?
Export settings are:
video file
mp4
resolution=900x506 (using this to make the file small enough for our web site)
variable frame rate - 29.97fps (don't yet understand what varying this does...)

Thanks,
Peter

Unable to replicate your result here.  What version of Videopad is being usedHere is the latest.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Overlaid and positioned text onto a 31KB image and exported at 900 x 506, leaving the Letterbox A/R choice unchanged.

The text position on the Mp4 result (right) was identical to the preview (left).

test.jpg

Upload and share your image and someone will double-check it.   Or share the PORTABLE project, so an export can be tested.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

Hi

".....The image is tiny - 36KB - should I have a much larger one?......."

The size of the image in KB is not important in this instance as that would simple determine the clarity of the image. What I meant was the size in pixels or the AR. having said that, your export resolution of 900 x 506 is 16:9  (close enough anyway)  and Text (any text) you use will appear in the frame where you placed it.  (Try a simple text over a blank coloured clip and you should see this is the case) 

Upload the PORTABLE project as Borate suggests and we can take a look and suggest where the problem might lie. It may be that the export resolution and the pixel size of the underlying image/clip is making its position move in the export relative to the text although tests here with various clip/images of different ARs  with carfully positioned text and your export settings are all OK..

Nat

A tad delayed by another project.
I've made a portable project and would like to send it to you.
How do I do this privately.  The link to screenshots advice says to send a link to Google Drive but the mail icon referred to does not give a route...
Thanks.