How to visually Normalize Audio Tracks for sync use

RoyHill

Hi All, 
I import many videos to synch them ( eg 9 musicians) - sometimes I have to visually line up based on sound production of start notes only
When I look at the Audio waveforms some tracks are very small in 'Amplitude'  compared  to the others - 
If I use Amplify & or Normalize  is has no effect on the visual Vertical Height look of the relative  multiple tracks - I need to see them more clearly to line them up 

Am I missing a feature somewhere - or is there a method of visually  synching  multiple sound tracks  by nudging  comparing the Audio tracks visually    - not the way to do this ( Im new to this stuff)  

this is in effect what I see on the videopad console 
Audio Track1    AAAAAAAA
Audio Track2   
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
So is there a way to maybe visually make Track1&Track2 visually exactly the same 'height' but keeping the sound asIs. ( ie a Visual 'Normalise'  only affecting the sound volume) 

sorry for example above there's no facility for adding a screendump to show you what my dilemma is.

To include a screen shot here see   http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

Reflecting gain adjustments on the waveform has been requested.  VP will show those changes if WavePad is used to edit audio.  Often, a right-click on an audio track will have a EDIT IN WAVEPAD choice.  That opens WP.  When editing is complete, closing WP automatically replaces the track in Videopad.  Of course, this can also be done manually.

To display more of an audio track, click the chevron at its far left, so it points downward...   image.png

Drag the white bar on horizontal line that splits the preview screen from the sequence up...  image.png

Do the same for the white bar on the line that splits video from audio tracks... image.png

Hi

I have sent a suggestion to NCH that it would be useful to be able to add a fixed marker (like a bookmark..but fixed) to selected tracks for alignment purposes.

A low amplitude sound track (small peaks) is often better viewed in clip preview but even though you can see even a small peak and place the cursor on it, (the timeline cursor also moves to the same point,) there is no way of marking that precise position on the timeline track. If this idea was instituted, it would mean you could, having selected the exact same position on different tracks and marked them, quickly and easily align them. Trying to set up the precise starting point for multi screen videos  can be a bit of a pain, but this would make it simple.

Thoughts?

Nat

Hi

Hi B

I have used splitting as a way of fixing a point in a track and then deleting the left section and lining up the cut ends but it always seemed to be a sledgehammer approach. OK, It works but it leaves "bits"behind.  Some of the multiscreens I have been trying  out recently (e.g. me playing 4 parts at once ) really needed a clapperboard start but when one stops during a recording (that's frequently ^_^!) and then starts the part again without resetting the camera that's when some marker would be useful when editing the result.  It's just an idea so testing the waters.

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to post the same question. I've a devil of a time syncing up singers because there is no vertical zoom on the audio waveform. And one should not have to bounce the audio off of WavePad to amplify and replace the track of the clip just to be able to see the waveform. I don't use WavePad, rather Audacity.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Well, we will have to wait and see. In the old days of film the editors I used had a button and a lever attached to a needle that pierced the frame where splicing was required. The film was taken out of the editor to be cut and spliced separately. The frames in a movie were ...

1) Quite small and 2) Pretty identical to each other;  so a hole was easy to find and position in the splicer. Another version I used had a similar  feature but the button printed a + on the frame. 

Nat

I'm a new user and  I too, am looking for an easy way to sync tracks.  i have a main camera recording all sound via an audio board, and using secondary cameras as a second angle... I frequently have issues with matching up exactly on the first, second, third tries... i am trying to match the audio by sound...  if there's a quick way for the video editor to sync these up, that would save a lot of time.

Repeatedly shifting the tracks slightly, then listening to the mix can be tedious.  The waveforms should help spot like peaks in the various tracks.

If recordings were made on separate machines that were not sync-locked, they may not line up precisely.  That's not the fault of Videopad.