Total Value not including unit AND tax values?

Ree787

Apologies if this has been covered before but I am trying to work out why the value in the total column does not include the unit AND tax values combined (it just shows/replicates the unit value (which I input as the net amount)). I have unchecked the box in the VAT/Sales Tax settings that say's "Item prices are tax inclusive" but this doesnt make any difference?

What am I doing wrong (as im sure it's me not the software?!).

Thanks in advance.

The problem is with all items/lines. Nothing seems to change if I tick 'that box'. Im using a 20% tax/vat rate. I have three colomns on the invoice; for each line, I have a unit/item cost, then the tax amount then a total amount. As it stands, both the unit value and total value's are exactly the same which is nuts! However, the final total at the bottom is caluclated correctly showing the sub total amount, then the total tax amount followed by the two figures together as a final total. 

Ree787,

I have had a look at what your saying but it would be wrong. 

The total amount is the total for the items as in qty * unit price. Then the subtotal is the total of the total amount. the vat column is the vat amount of the unit price * qty then the vat total for 20% is like the subtotal then the subtotals are added together to the grand total or over all totals.  There is nothing wrong with the software. I was also taught to do it this way as well in school and also by very good friend who is a accountant.

If I seen the vat added to the total amount I would expect to see the subtotal to do the same.

Were are in as in country.

Also the next time you get an invoice for things you bough look to see if the done the way I have said above or the way you think it should be done

On 6/14/2020 at 12:51 AM, MCGCS said:

Ree787,

The total amount is the total for the items as in qty * unit price. Then the subtotal is the total of the total amount. the vat column is the vat amount of the unit price * qty then the vat total for 20% is like the subtotal then the subtotals are added together to the grand total or over all totals.  There is nothing wrong with the software. I was also taught to do it this way as well in school and also by very good friend who is a accountant.

If I seen the vat added to the total amount I would expect to see the subtotal to do the same.

Also the next time you get an invoice for things you bough look to see if the done the way I have said above or the way you think it should be done

Thanks for your reply. Yup, I guess thinking about it logically what you say does make sense and most (but not all strangely) invoices I have from other people are laid out the same way. So, as I said in my first post, it's me who has got it wrong I guess! (Well, I dont think I really need to guess!).

8 hours ago, Ree787 said:

Thanks for your reply. Yup, I guess thinking about it logically what you say does make sense and most (but not all strangely) invoices I have from other people are laid out the same way. So, as I said in my first post, it's me who has got it wrong I guess! (Well, I dont think I really need to guess!).

No you didn't I can see what your where thinking as in total the vat amount should be added to the (qty * item price).  I have changed total to net total or net amount (net amt) which to me a bit more sense. I think I have seen an invoice or 2 from people like what you where saying.

I have friend who would say ( Your not wrong as every day is a school day )

• 8 months later...
On 6/14/2020 at 3:51 AM, MCGCS said:

Ree787,

what's the problem?