Sub-title channel

DCS

I seem to be getting my sub-titles in a mess.     Many clips end up more than one sub-title which of course can't be read. I looked on the help pages and it says I can add a sub-title channel.   This seems perfect  (similar to WMMaker)  where one can simply slide the sub-titles to the correct clip.    My question is how do I add this channel.

I realise there is a move up/down facility, but this is very limited ,  when  what I have commented  above is so simple.

Thank you all for any help

There may be something amiss, or being overlooked.  A second channel can be added.  Press the Add button and name it.  image.png

Subtitle default length is set under the OPTIONS | EDITING menu.

In the subtitle configuration box, position the cursor where you want each title, type it, then click the green + ADD.

Or, prior to pressing ADD, click the "Go To End" button under the preview window, then click ADD.  The sub will be placed immediately following the one before

end.jpg

To change IN/OUT times, select a subtitle, then click in the time windows below the preview screen and adjust the times.

Hi

if you have a free overlay track then it may be simpler to add a simple text overlay for each subtitle.

Here is a sample of an actual subtitle...

aa.jpg

Here is the same subtitle using Add text which produces a simple text image that is placed at the cursor position  on the overlay track....

bb.jpg 

The font type and size is the same in each. The simple text here is set at the "bottom" position. Being an image however it can be adjusted higher or lower by using the Position effect and its duration can be altered simply by pulling out the ends ......

Here the same text has been positioned slightly lower....

dd.jpg

Using Add text, the subtitle texts can easily be slid along the timeline to their correct place relative to the video below it and if used on the same track as other text subtitles you can't overlap them . They can be easily deleted and if required can  be animated to slide in from any side and also faded in and out.

On the downside you cannot save them as an independent file like real subtitles.

Nat

Thank you for going to so much trouble.     The "picture" you show -  saying sub-title channel    and  +ADD,   - I don't seem to have.

However I have tried as you suggest using "Add Text"     BUT  (I now realise) remember to  set the opacity to zero.   This gives what I like - having the ability to slide the text .        Although new to VP,   I find it hard (yet)  to see why one would use "sub-title".      Surely you would be expecting to move clips regularly -   which means losing the sub-title attachment.   This could happen over dozens of instances with just adding or removing a few clips.

Thank you again ,   much appreciated,  kind regards, DCS.

Hi DCS

".....BUT  (I now realise) remember to  set the opacity to zero. ...."

Note that the text  clips you create when you add simple text/animated text/clocks or any of the title effects ARE transparent pngs. The text itself is what shows up over the underlying clip. They don't need a transparency effect (Opacity)  fade-in and fade out are handled by the f box at the start of the text clip and the a fade transition at the end using the   X  at the end of the clip.  With regards to losing the synch you can also of course group the text clip and the main track clip together  by by clicking both clips with the Ctrl key pressed and  then selecting the grouping option from a right click menu. Now if you move a clip the associated text will go with it.

Nat.

Nat'''' thankyou.      Yes ,   just rechecked and you're correct.   Funny it didn't seem like that at first - the text completely covered the clip.

So this old guy has just spent adding lots of sub-titles and didn't need to complicate it.   Thank you.

The second point I had no idea there was this facility,    that seems to overcome my previous moans about sub-title to clip being unattached.

I am learning a bit every day.   Thank you again,   DCS.

• borate changed the title to Sub-title channel