Unstable, Task Manager cycles Not Responding

Charles Quinn

Ever since I updated to 8.3, now on 8.45 it eventually starts behaving erratically when trying to mark and move clips to the sequence. It will flash the X to close in the upper corner to red. Task Manager shows it cycling to Not Responding.

Is there a way to revert back before 8.3 to where I had a stable working copy that was excellent? The last two updates make for an UNWORKABLE program.

Tried clearing cache no help. Reverted to 8.23 everything is good. Faster loading, Clicking on Clip View tab and Sequence tab is almost instantaneous. Updated versions were slow, had to wait long stretches of time. After awhile it would start sending not responding to task manager. Thanks for your help.

-0-0-

Not really resolved. Rolling back to a previous version means I may be missing out on fixes. It just means that I am avoiding the changes that broke mine. I would like too have all the fixes that improves the program.

Just to add a data point, I too am reverting back to 8.23 (which for me is still a significant upgrade, since the version I used to work with up until this week was 3.85, several years old!)

Although Borate did his best to help me with one of my problems (which we solved basically by not using that particular feature), the number of issues I am having with 8.45 is just too much. The worst of these are:

1) a simple track split causes the program to hang for about 3 or 4 seconds before you can play the sequence again. Not task breaking, but very annoying.

2) Transitions of any sort more complicated that a simple split (fade to black, cross fade, etc) take forever before you can play across them. I mean like 10 or 20 seconds!

3) The one I found just this morning, which is the real deal-breaker for me. Loading a track of about 80 minutes. It plays fine, then I try and zoom in on the track (with the mouse wheel), and it will no longer play. I get sound, but the preview picture is frozen. This may only occur for longer videos (this is the longest one I've loaded since I upgraded). Zoom back out, and it plays fine. And I left this track overnight to load, so it couldn't be a buffering thing.

So yeah, those first two, while irritating, I could live with. The last one, not so much. I've reverted to 8.23 just now, and so far, NONE of those problems occur. 80 minute track plays fine zoomed in, transitions are seamless (even complex ones), and you can play across them almost immediately (even faster than you could with 3.85). So far anyway, I haven't found any bugs (course, I've only spent about an hour or two with it so far, maybe some will appear). I'm going to try and use the AVI export again and see if it is better than what I got with 8.45.

Not trying to harp on the program, just passing on some data. And I greatly appreciate Borate's attempts to help me out with the AVI export. I absolutely loved 3.85, and I see lots of improvements with 8.23. But it seems like something is up with 8.45, maybe it's because I'm on an AMD chip rather than Intel? I dunno. Perhaps it's just a few of us (or just me). But I have work to get done, and I need a functional program, so I had to revert, I can't mess around with bugs, heh.

I hope that helps.

Ron

When you refer to  'zooming' with the mouse wheel, assume that this refers to expanding the track (as with the slider at the bottom-right)?

Is this a PC or Mac installation?  Let others see how your project performs for them in v8.45  Please share it.  It's easy, quick, can be private and is the best way to track down issues.  Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable link to post.

Correct, when I say zoom, that is what I mean, expanding the track.

It's a PC install. 

I could upload the project, but when I did that with my last one, you couldn't reproduce the issue. That's why I think these issues are PROBABLY hardware specific (if everyone were having these same issues, I expect these boards would be flooded with bug reports, lol). I'm wondering if it might be AMD chip related (I'm on an AMD Rizen 9).

Probably the easiest thing I could do would be to put together a short video showing the issues I am having, and the differences in performance between 8.45 and 8.23. I'm happy to do that, but I can't until later this week when I have some time.

So far, 8.23 is performing awesomely! And again, I feel bad, I'm not trying to trash the program, just trying to give some data. If it is just me, then fine, I'll stick with 8.23, but if it's more widespread, the devs might want to know about it.

Ron

Yes, tough to diagnose if the issue cannot be replicated by others.  A short PORTABLE project that demonstrates the fault is useful, but not a video result.  You have described it well.

When you are ready to experiment, reinstall the latest..

In loading a brand new project, click the OPTIONS menu, then the DISK tab.  Clear Unused Cache Files.

You also might want to toggle the ON/OFF settings for hardware acceleration, under OPTIONS | EDITING, to see if that has an effect.