Sound goes out of sync upon video export

RonHiler

Hey all,

So I used VPP version 3.85 for years, and loved it. I recently built myself a new computer, and to go along with that I updated a lot of my software, including VPP to version 8.42 (these are registered versions, mind you, not the free ones).

Well, there are things about this newer version which are really bugging me, but mostly I could live with it (transitions seem to be a much bigger pain than previously, but that's not my main issue). The major, and unforgivable, problem I am having is when I export the video. My videos are roughly an hour long each, and I export to .avi files (1920x1080 @ 30FPS). On my previous system with the old version of VPP, this worked just fine. However, on the new system with new VPP, the exported file's sound goes out of sync. By 20 minutes, it's off by a couple of seconds! I have exported two different videos now and both have this problem.

Before you ask, it is perfectly synced within VPP itself throughout the entire video (I synch two sound tracks to the video track using the equivalent of a snap-board at the beginning of the recording process). This procedure is one I have used forever, and it's always worked well with the old version of the software, the exported videos are perfectly synched throughout. But with the new version, they go off sync upon export, despite being perfectly in sych inside the editor.

Now, it's possible I'm doing something wrong, being new at this new version of the software. So if anyone has any suggestions, let me know. My new system is much much more powerful than the old one was, so I don't believe this is a computer issue.

As a side note, I have also noticed that the exported file sizes are 2 to 4 times as large as they used to be (generally a one hour avi video would run anywhere between 2 - 4 GB with the old version of the software, it is now 8-10 GB with the new version (granted I have only two videos with the new version to compare it with). I don't know if that has anything to do with anything, but just something I noticed).

If this can't be resolved, I'm going to need to revert back to the version I know works (I presume I can move it from my old system to my new one), but if possible, I'd like to use the new software, since I bought it.

Thanks for any help you can suggest. And if there is any additional information I can provide that might help with diagnosis, just let me know.

Ron

There are many export format and file size options.  In the export configuration box click the Default Quality/Filesize link, then click the chevron to the right of Video Quality/Bitrate and test a few.  Frame rate and resolution have a considerable effect as well, of course.

As to the sync issue:  are you applying a speed change to this hour-long video?  If that's the case, UNcheck the Keep Pitch Unchanged box prior to export.  Please report back.

Very fine.  Please upload and share the project.  Someone here take a look and pass on findings to the developers.  This is easy, takes little time and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable link to post.  No need to upload the exported, out-of-sync file.

We'll be looking forward to receiving your project.  Have patience, a one-hour upload can be tedious.  And prior to beginning, check the file size, to be certain that you have sufficient free space on the server.

Hey Borate,

So the file size thing is sorted, I think. Thanks to your suggestion, I changed from default quality to medium quality, and that brought the file size back down to what I'm used to.

Unfortunately it did not fix the syncing issue. However, I switched from AVI to MP4 export, and that seems to have fixed it.So what I'm doing now is encoding to MP4 with medium quality and see if that might be the sweet spot (it's going now, I'll find out in a bit).

So it looks like I may have resolved enough for my purposes. However, if you want (for diagnostic purposes) to see the project file, I'm happy to upload it. The AVI export does seem to be entirely broken (at least for me anyway), so I don't know if you and the devs want to look at it, or just write it off to my inexperience, or what. Just let me know, I'll upload it if you want to take a look.

Thanks for your help!

Ron

Definitely.  VP helpers and developers are on alert for bugs and deal with them as soon as they are reported.

Please upload the errant file.  And confirm your sync success with the Mp4.

Also try lowering the frame rate to 15fps.  Depending upon the content, this may not make a perceptible difference.

Interesting thread however I have the non sync problem saving as an mp4 file. Making a movie quiz, lots of little clips (from youtube) interspersed with 'add text' pages with the questions. Perfectly in sync in the editor (how could it not be) but when creating mp4 file the sound is way out of sync from the start. Suggestions?

Are there speed changes in the project and how long is it?  What are the export settings?  What version of VP is being used?

Let's take a look - at your PORTABLE project, not the final export.  It's easy, doesn't take long and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable link to post.

• 1 month later...

This topic seems to be related to the issue I've encountered. I cannot say whether the audio has shifted relative to the picture but transitions are affected. The audio transition at the Fade through black transitions is thrown off  by exporting to H264 high quality .mp4 at 30fps FIXED but is okay at the Variable Frame Rates I've tried (SmartMax to ~45 and max 30). I'm on VPP 8.45. It's as though the audio track has been advanced relative to the fade so you hear a switch to the second audio before the video transition. 

Sounds as if variable will do the job.  To let someone analyse what you see please share the project.  Just follow the PORTABLE project instructions here.  Don't upload the export.

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable, public link - not one that is restricted.