Split-screen video problem

Marc H

Hi,

Videopad newbie here. I'm trying to create a split-screen video, which will have one cropped clip occupying  most of the right-hand side of the screen and a succession of other cropped-and-resized clips occupying the top left and bottom left of the screen respectively. At any point in the sequence there will be three "windows" on the screen, but the two on the left will be showing a succession of clips. I also want some blank space between the videos and the edges of the screen.

My problem is that I cannot seem to get the left-hand side videos to line up. I have cropped them to the same size but when, for example, I set the horizontal position for both to -30, their edges are not aligned. I have several clips to play in succession and to have them unaligned and/or jumping from side to side, even slightly, as they transition from one to the other would look awful.

Is there some way to ensure that they are in line?

TIA,   Marc 

2 hours ago, borate said:

"Have you checked out the SPLIT SCREEN effect, with many layout choices (in the drop-down menu)?"

This looks a bit like what I want (except I want the right-hand video to be go from top to bottom of the screen). This seems to be a "2+1" grid though, and I don''t see such an option in the drop-down. Can you tell me more about how you achieved it?

Thanks.

Vertical X 2 on the left.  Scroll down in the Split Screen effects box and note the vertical and horizontal bias and the scale sliders.  Use them to move and size (if necessary) the left-side images.

Then load the right-side image.  Apply SCALE, CROP, MOTION, POSITION effects, as needed.  Use the minimum amount of effects to do the job, and try to avoid duplicating any, such as several Scale effects for one image.  How much screen room it takes up on the right side will depend upon its aspect ratio and how you scaled/cropped it.

The tracks containing A, B and the right-side image are stacked on separate tracks, one atop another.

image.png        Split.jpg

Once you have an image on a specific track correctly aligned save the effect as a template by clicking the SAVE icon on the toolbar.  Give the effect a name.

It will appear as just another icon at the bottom of the effects choices.  The template can be applied to subsequent images, to place them in the same space.

save.jpg

Hi

With a bit of thought you can have  several images on the left to one on the right. (and vice versa)

aaa.jpg

Right hand image is Track 1 with a Horizontal 2 split screen

Left hand images are Track 2; 3 and 4 with a 2x3  grid Split screen

Scale and Position etc. as Borate suggests to suit the actual clip in each case..

For AR reasons this is about the useful limit for a screen split in the centre using a 2 x 3 split on the left  but more clips can be used on the left using a 4x4 grid for them......in fact any combination grid that can be divided centrally....

ccc.jpg

In fact this uses 9 tracks..1 per clip.

Nat