Frame rate in VideoPad when editing

Ferro

When testing the sync of video and audio in a file I noticed that Videopad 8.32 uses a strange frame rate. The video edited has a constant frame rate of 25 fps, but when I stepped frames in editor Timeline window one by one, I noticed that the frame rate seems to be approximately 30.3 fps. In other words, I would expect that the time for one frame would be 40 ms, but it is 33 ms. Why? Is it possible to change the frame rate in editing to be the same as the frame rate of of the edited video? Anyway, when exporting to 25 fps, everything was all right in the exported video. The total timing was OK.

VideoPad seems to solve the difference in frame rates by duplicating approximately every 6th frame in the Timeline window. In the exported video with frame rate of 25 fps, however, every frame is different.

And in the test I also noticed that the sync of video and audio had a bit suffered in editing. By delaying audio by four VideoPad frames they were in sync again. 

No reports of VP preview being out of sync AFAIK, and there's no provision to change it.

Use a one-frame button shows that each frame increments by .033     image.png

Please give the specs of the project that does this.  How long is it?  Are speed changes being used?  Are video and audio linked, as with most clips?

Share the project and someone here will analyse it.  This is easy, quick and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

• 6 months later...

Same problem here with the latest version (8.99). The "Cursor" timestamp is wrong for 25fps video (increments by 33ms when it should increment by 40ms). Every 5th frame is repeated (1-2-3-4-5-5-6-7-8-9-10-10...) in an apparent crude attempt at a workaround by a programmer to keep the timing info approximately correct. The timestamp shown doesn't match any other video editing programs that show times correctly.

Nobody should need to share a project for such a fundamental problem to be investigated. No programmer who is actually qualified to work on development of a program like VideoPad would have any difficulty immediately understanding, tracking down, and fixing this type of problem based on the descriptions provided by Ferro and myself.

Hi

"...Is it possible to change the frame rate in editing to be the same as the frame rate of of the edited video? ..."

No, I don't think you can.  The Next Frame button steps along the timeline at 33ms intervals irrespective of the fps of the clips being previewed.  If you zoom in to the timeline you can set the cursor line to a point between successive 33ms jumps. Use of the next frame button then moves 33ms from that point.  The irregular steps of 33ms in order to get to a next frame in other speed rated clipshas been mentioned before on the forum .......

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23698-frame-by-frame-not-at-the-good-framerate/?tab=comments#comment-56212

https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26784-exported-video-has-frame-duplicates/?tab=comments#comment-68581

......and may be related to the clip being originally rendered at a non contant frame rate and so is required as an expediant to keep audio in synch when the clip is loaded to VP for editing . AFAIK it is rendered for export at the fps set in the export screen and so would export if this is set to the import fps (if known to be constant). However the descrepancy should not be great enough to be seen when the export is played.

Nat