Video clip transition option (ask) disappeared

St Bosse

My option to choose my transition method suddenly disappeared today. VP no longer asks me "... freeze.. or .... move clips".

My settings under:

Options->Editing-> 
            Video clip transition: Generate freeze frames/
                                                  move clips to overlap/
                                                  Ask me

. . . . is still set to "Ask me".

Anybody that can solve the mystery ?

St B.

The ASK prompt appears only if there is not enough excess video to cover the transition.

To test that, butt two files together - a FROM file that has no video past where it is to end and a TO file that has no content prior to where it is to begin - and transition.

The prompt should appear.

Thanks for the response. .  . . . .  mmm . . . not so sure. I have been editing videos like crazy the past two weeks, close to no 50 now  (30min videos for online tuition), and have done numerous cuts on these videos to get rid of some disturbance or coughing or something, then use a "cross fade" to tidy up the transition, and every single time I got ask the question .  When there is a short clip involved, it will give an additional warning saying that the clip is to short and that the transition time must be shorter, when I choose overlap.  Now, I cannot get VP to ask me the question in any combination.

So I'm a bit confused now.   Am I missing something?  Any other experiments /combinations I should try?

I am a newbie to VP and as I continue things and logic starts to fall in place, and I get familiar with the VP logic and way of thinking. So please bear with me, thank you!

I did some more tests. Regardless of setting in the options, every cross fade gets overlapped! Is there another setting/place somewhere else that I'm missing?

St B

Hi

OK..I see where your problem is I think...From the editing actions you describe it seems you are cutting sections out of clips and closing the gaps. You are then applying a transition between the cut ends of the cut clip.

When this is done between ends of the same clip  the option window will NOT appear,  even if the Options setting is set to "Ask me" VP will overlap the cut ends.

You will be asked what type of transition you want only if you are transitioning between different clips.Even if the end of the FROM  clip or the start of the TO clip (or both) have been trimmed. 

In short.  

• No choice if the transition is between the ends of the same split clip  Default is an overlap of the moving video.You cannot have a frozen image crossfade..
  • The choice is given if the ends are from different clips even if they have been trimmed. i.e. The default is what is set in Options.

Nat

• No choice if the transition is between the ends of the same split clip  Default is an overlap of the moving video.You cannot have a frozen image crossfade..
  • The choice is given if the ends are from different clips even if they have been trimmed. i.e. The default is what is set in Options.

"In that scenario, logical for sure.  Maintains clean sync."

Yep! That's the answer! I've been rushing thru so many videos that I didn't notice the "same split clip"  situation. And yes, "logical for sure" ! Makes total sense, I am cutting out "stuff" (sometimes very short), and overlapping will definitely mess up the precise cut position effort.

Thanks guys, your assistance is appreciated.

St B

In version 8.35 it's asking when it should here.  Set the OPTION to Generate Freeze Frames and it won't disrupt the sync.

Is this new in 8.35? I could not find it in 8.32, unless I am looking in the wrong place??

St B

• borate changed the title to Video clip transition option (ask) disappeared