Lost project when PC crashed

Yoshomay

So I was editing a video, was on the outro, over 5 hours worth of work. I get up to close my door, then i come back to my pc all screwed up, frozen. It's happened in the past, I have to unplug it because it's so frozen the power button doesn't work. It's happened befrore nothing new. I am unplugging it, then the realization hit. All the 5 hours of work, gone. I remember that VideoPad has an auto save feature, and am a little bet less freaked out. When I open VideoPad I'm asked if I wanna load from Auto Save, I do, and it fails to. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/653822703853240350/707067544409866270/unknown.png This is the error I was greeted with. I look at recent projects, not in there. I look in documents, open Video Pad, look in the projects folder, and all there is is the templets folder. I look everywhere and no where can I find a way to fix it. 

Like is there anywhere I can see all auto saves?, as i accadently overwrited the auto save that failed with an empty one as when it failed to load it opened a blank project. PLEASE HELP ME. I don't want to have to repeat the 5 hours of work.

Sorry to hear.  .VPJ extension is what you need to search for - that's a Videopad instruction file.

And, of course, SAVE PROJECT AS periodically, giving it a unique # or name, so as to not overwrite older saves.  You might even back up that save to another drive.

As long as source files haven't been moved or deleted, clicking the saved VPJ should restore the project.

6 minutes ago, borate said:

Sorry to hear.  .VPJ extension is what you need to search for - that's a Videopad instruction file.

And, of course, SAVE PROJECT AS periodically, giving it a unique # or name, so as to not overwrite older saves.  You might even back up that save to another drive.

As long as source files haven't been moved or deleted, clicking the saved VPJ should restore the project.

soo.. am I screwed?

56 minutes ago, borate said:

Fear so, unless a search of your PC's files reveals a VPJ associated with the project.

where would i look?

also i didn't save once, also i don't think there'd be a  vpj anywhere

When you close a project VP will prompt to save, so chances are that you did.

Where?  Who knows.  Use Windows search tool for a VPJ file on drive C:\.

Look especially at the folder where the project source files reside.  VP creates backups.  For example:  <project name>_backup.vpj

Good luck!

1 hour ago, borate said:

When you close a project VP will prompt to save, so chances are that you did.

Where?  Who knows.  Use Windows search tool for a VPJ file on drive C:\.

Look especially at the folder where the project source files reside.  VP creates backups.  For example:  <project name>_backup.vpj

Good luck!

well i diddnt close it. my pc froze and i was forced to unplug it and take the battery out (its a laptop)

6 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Try navigating to.......

User name/AppData/Roaming/NCH Software/VideoPad/autosave.vpj

aa.jpg

Double click the file and provided you have still got all your clips it should load the autosaved project.

Nat

so when i opened it, it was an auto save of a blank project, likely because after loading the auto save after the restart, and failing to load it, it created a new project, and overwrites the previous auto save. 

So I take it as I wasted 5 hours