Splitting the screen

MaxSingForJoy

Hi

I am trying to create a video which has the screen tiled, each tile is a separately created video file. It's like the virtual choirs you see on Youtube. I have found out how to overlay video tracks, so I have 4 video tracks in my project, 3 overlaying the first one. I also used the Video Effect, split screen, to create a 2 x 2 array for each video track, putting each track into a different quadrant. However, when I play back the sequence all I see is one track occupying the whole screen. What am  I missing here? Thanks

Edited by MaxSingForJoy
Missspelt title

Hi

That should be working..

Check these...

• You have each clip on a separate track.
  • You have applied the Split Screen effect to each clip
  • Each clip is designated a particular corner and Cropped to region (if necessary)
  • Now check that each track on the timeline shows the clips in their respective corners.....
  •  
  • aa.jpg

Place cursor line so it passes through all the tracks and check that the Sequence preview shows the clips in their specific quarters..

bb.jpg

If everything is correctly set up the 4 clips should preview  in their own sectors when the timeline is played.

In this case the clips are each 16:9  and divide pretty well into the 2 x 2 matrix

If this is not working another option is to use the Scale effect to reduce each clip down in size then add the Position effect to place each clip in the respective corner. One advantage of this method is that each clip will overlay the other (highest track over lower tracks) and any AR differences can be covered up, (i.e. you can paper over the cracks) and you can also make each clip a different sizes and still retain a 2x 2 matrix.

If you have the above appearances and it still shows a single clip in preview....which is the track that is previewing?

Nat

Great advice from Nat.  Here's how to build an 8-screen split where the same clip is appears on both sides of each quadrant.  Separate clips could be used instead.

1.  Load four clips
2. Drop clip one onto the sequence
3. Add the A-side split effect
4. Add a motion effect with scale at .50, base X at -50, base Y at -50
5. Save the effect (fourth icon from the left on the effects toolbar) and name it
6. Overlay the same clip on track two, immediately above track one
7. Apply the saved effect (It's your custom effect icon - scroll the effects list to the bottom to locate it)
8. Click the B-side split

Overlay clip two onto the sequence and apply the saved effect
Set base X at -50, base Y at 50
Overlay clip two onto the sequence again and apply the saved effect
Set base X at -50, base Y at 50 and apply the B-side split

Overlay clip three onto the sequence and apply the saved effect
Set base X at 50, base Y at 50
Overlay clip three onto the sequence again and apply the saved effect
Set base X at 50, base Y at 50 and apply the B-side split

Overlay clip four onto the sequence and apply the saved effect
Set base X at 50, base Y at -50
Overlay clip four on the sequence again and apply the saved effect
Set base X at 50, base Y at -50 and apply the B-side split

All clips should be the same aspect ratio or alignment/cropping issues could result.

Hi Nat and Borate. Most helpful and I now have it cracked. The missing link was scaling the clips. After playing around I found a really simple way to lay out 4 clips on the screen. I didn't need to use the split screen at all. To lay it out with Tracks 1 and 2 on the top and tracks 3 and 4 below them I did this:

Track 1
    Scale: Zoom X and Y: 50, Offset X: -50, Y: -50
    Motion: Scale .50

Track 2
    Scale: Zoom X and Y: 50, Offset X: 50, Y: -50

Track 3
    Scale: Zoom X and Y: 50, Offset X: -50, Y: 50

Track 4
    Scale: Zoom X and Y: 50, Offset X: 50, Y: 50