Leaving Videopad

14red

Dear NCH,

Two years ago I finally made the step to create my own youtube channel, reviewing computer hardware. It's a great hobby and I do it because I like to, not to make money. Back then I needed an editing program and a friend suggested to use Videopad. Not too expensive, and should get you going when you are new to the trade.

I love the easy of use of videopad. I've grown accustomed to the layout, effects menu's and everything else. I can edit a video in a relative small amount of time. My main issue with videopad is that exporting is always a hit and miss. Nearly every time I finish a project, I always have to spend nearly a day sometimes 2, to get a video exported. Numerous unexplained crashes, half finished exports,  crashes with major errors (and yes, I sent the bugreports, even though i never get a reaction) etc etc are a minefield to go trough. Starting another one with my gingers crossed (rather hard to type though) Yes, I know what you are thinking; his system is outdated/not updated/*insert any possibility here*. No, I own a 9700k, 32 gb, 1tb nvme drive and a 2080ti. Also my windows is always up to date and I do not experience any issues with any other program. Also switching to any other machine, will result in the same errors. I have to check the video (if it's playable at all). Sometimes it's a transition that the export will fail on, sometimes it's a photo, other times it's a text that's the problem. I export to the standard 1080 youtube preset. Nothing fancy. 

I do use version 6.31 and even though I get messages to update to version 8, but I refuse to pay for a new version when the version I own doesn't even function properly. And for the exporting issues, I will not recommend Videopad to anyone. I will even dissuade everyone of using it, because of the exporting issues. Recently I bought another program in a sale and gave that a go. A program that I will recommend, because exporting just works. No endless waiting with fingers crossed, no day(s) lost exporting. I can just finish my project, export, upload and get on with the next one. I do hope videopad will get things sorted again as I do prefer the ease of use over Vegas. I really do! That's also the reason I'm writing this.

Best of luck and best regards!

• 14red changed the title to Leaving Videopad

Hi

VP 6.31 is quite old and many of the problems have been mostly ironed out in the later version..That's not to say there are none but threading and caching have been altered and things do run more smoothly. If you still have your original setup exe file and your license number then why not uninstall and give the latest version a spin.

https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/versions.html

If then you are still not satisfied you can easily re install your old version.

Nat

Dear Nat,

Thank you for your answer. I installed the latest version and exported a project again. This time there was no crash except that there was no audio present. It does have that in the project itself, but it fails to export. I will try again tomorrow for a final time. :(

Thank you and good night!

While backwards compatibility is usually good, it isn't guaranteed.  As Nat noted, there have been significant changes since the 6.x series.  That's why it is suggested to edit and export with the same version.

That said, please share the audio-less project with the group, or with me personally, for analysis.  It's easy and takes but a few minutes.

Just follow the steps outlined here.  And be sure to SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT, not simply SAVE AS PROJECT. 

We'll be looking forward to seeing your production.

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

Dear Borate,

Thank you for reaching out to me. You will find the files herein the link that I've sent you. I'm trying two last attempts at exporting, at the same time, on two different machines and with different settings. 

Thanks in advance, best regards,

Small update, after rearranging my audio tracks it seems that the audio finally works! I exported the whole video. I'll reconsider switching back to Videopad. I will at least keep you posted on the next project that I will try to export. 

No

The issues have not been ironed out

Also can't export the video

It exports a small part in varying degrees, however not the full video

That is exactly  why I came on here again

When playing back before exporting, it 1st stutters for about 20-30 seconds playing a few seconds repeatedly and then it will play through 

And I have the latest version

Old versions new versions they don't work as they should

List your hardware:  CPU/GPU/RAM/free space on the drive.

Please share the problem project.  It's easy, takes but a few minutes and someone will be glad to check it out.  Troubles are usually solved.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained. 
Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

54 minutes ago, borate said:

List your hardware:  CPU/GPU/RAM/free space on the drive.

Please share the problem project.  It's easy, takes but a few minutes and someone will be glad to check it out.  Troubles are usually solved.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained. 
Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

MY LESS then 6months old laptop

Asus gaming laptop

SSD 512gig more then 200gig available 

16gig of ram

GTX 1660 with 6gig of Ram 

Rizen 7 not sure what speed 

Further, my old laptop  worked impeccably with version 5.xxx with no issues 

Since new fancy laptop  with the NEW Video pad, have had issue after issue after issue

Have had crashes and lost huge amounts of work and now I can't export

When I had crashes I reported it multiple times - till after the upgrade it would crash regularly 

The only improvement  is that now when it crashes it saves every in an untitled project- pain, howeve6am not loosing huge amounts of work

Will try and follow your advice and share the project when back home

14Red said:   Small update, after rearranging my audio tracks it seems that the audio finally works! I exported the whole video. I'll reconsider switching back to Videopad.

Test the beta version.

As for FlyingNando...please share your project for analysis.

4 hours ago, borate said:

You did a good job of uploading four files, and they play fine.  But what's needed for analysis is the PORTABLE PROJECT, which contains all source files plus the VPJ control file.

Go to https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-gb/ and create an account if you don't already have any other MS account.  They all use the same ID and Password.

P

Saved folder is 7.25GB

So

Drop box is too small, as one only gets 5gig free space

Onedrive is the same thing, only 5gig space a d I already have some small files saved on there

Most of the footage for this project  is in 4K60fps, it's over 8min long

Plea6 find a different way to help me

Have already lost at least 6 hrs with this story of not exporting, drop box, uploading and repeated attempts letme know what other info you need to solve the issue

Video Pad has had issues from almost day one when I bought it for this laptop and bought the newer version  of VP

Have complainedon here and reported issues over and over

Am not an IT person, so I'm struggling with all these things, have made huge efforts to learn Video pad and now to get these files uploaded

I followed the instructions as per earlier post from you 

Did save the file "save portable project as. . . "

Find another way for me to send this big file, and I will send 

VP is faulty and full of bugs, have wasted huge of hrs trying to work around and trying to get help 

It is now VP turn to come to the party and find an easier way

Unless my editing is beyond the capabilities of VP - then I need to know. However this will be a vert sad day

Version 5.as worked flawlessly on my old laptop, never had one issue 

Now have gone from version, 7.5x, done updates after update trying to solve issues, used beta versions, now version 8, and the issues/bugs persist

Why  change something that is working - this baffles me

My 6months  are probably over, and now I sit with a price of software that doesn't work properly and no editing software 

Look forward  to hearing from you with a salution

If video Pad worked it would be great - however . . . . 

Further let me add, that when I was looking at a new editing  machine, I seriously  looked  at the ipad pro for portability 

I did not buy the iPad pro, couz I read of the limitations that Video Pad had on the iPad pro

So I bought a Windows gaming laptop just so that I could have video Pad full functionality 

This leaves me even more disappointed as I have lost that portability  for something that now dosent work 

Rarely really hope that VP comes up with a salution quickly

My last project  I can't export and I can't edit my otherfootage 

We have an opertunity  to film a unique  catamaran,  and would be very sad if I would have to learn new editing software to complete  that project

-0-0-

Deleted that upload and tried to zip the file

However see that has made no difference to the file size

So now that link won't work, couz I deleted to try and upload a zipped file

As mentioned in the forum thread...

1.  Have your full project on the timeline

2.  Click the 'hamburger' 3-lined button at the top left of the window

3.  Click FILE

4.  Click SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS

This will result in a numbered/dated folder

5.  Upload that folder to MS OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.

6.  Copy (share) the link to the folder and paste it into your forum post (or private post here)

You have not read all my posts

That saved file is 7.25Gig

Drop box and one drive only give one 5gig for free

The file is too big for the free drop box and one drive

One drive & dropBox only allows 5gig of free space - the saved file for the project is 7.25 GIG

My Google drive is full 

Unless I am talking to a bot

Overlooked your file size.  Clearing your Google Drive account or buying more storage may be the only answer.

Many improvements in operation and features have been added to VP since the 5x series but, yes, there's no perfection.  When verified, bugs are quickly addressed.

Without seeing the portable project we're flying blind.  Hope you find a way to share as we would like to lend a hand.

During editing, it's wise to regularly SAVE PROJECT AS, giving it a unique name or number so as not to overwrite earlier saves.  That way, little or nothing will be lost.  Don't simply SAVE PROJECT, as that will overwrite.

It's no improvement if it dosent  work

So let me see if I understand

I pay for something  that dosent work as displayed/advertised, I have asked for help numerous times, and the only thing I ever got was update to a beta version or update to the latest  version  - bugs are fixed

No they are not fixed, and I think it's very unfair that I am now expected to spend money to fix something that has not worked properly

Self live in South Africa,  and when one buys something in $$$$ it's a lot of money in our local currency

Maybe seeing that it's video Pad that is broken, then maybe Video pad could pay for my extra storage so that I can help video Pad figure out what is wrong with Video pad

Have many hours invested in learning video Pad - would be a very very sad day if I am now left with a broken piece of software and forced to look else where and have to learn something from scratch again

Hope video Pad finds a way for me to send the file to them - that would be the right thing to do

This is the second post after your reply

My footage is all in 4k

Have added some photos overlayed, and a video clip taken with someone's cellphone

It won't export  in 4k however changed the setting to 2k and it looks like it will export the whole project, it has gone past where it would terminate the export

Can this version of VideoPad, not handle 4k 60fps

Ask all the question you need to, ask me to send what ever files are needed from that big folder, however this needs to be fixed

Have had success with 4K projects but yours may present other challenges.  Can't tell without seeing it and comparing performance;   Intel 7 here with your R7  processor.

Suggest dropping down to 29.97 fps, which should little compromise quality.

During edit, if after caching is complete preview playback is still choppy, consider using proxies.  This is a helpful approach to dealing with large files, and not just in VP..

As it appears peer support here hasn't proven fruitful, If you haven't done so already drop a note to NCH stating your case..  https://tinyurl.com/rl55y6t

10 minutes ago, borate said:

Have had success with 4K projects but yours may present other challenges.  Can't tell without seeing it and comparing performance;   Intel 7 here with your R7  processor.

Suggest dropping down to 29.97 fps, which should little compromise quality.

As it appears peer support here hasn't proven fruitful, If you haven't done so already drop a note to NCH stating your case..  https://tinyurl.com/rl55y6t

Thought you are support

5 hours ago, FlyingNando SV said:

Thought you were support

Then thisn is even worst, as it looks like We are on our own

Borate and Nationsolo are VideoPad users just like everyone. Our developers are working with them closely and trying to solve every reported issue.

@14red

We are working on making the GPU work more effectively. It will take more advantage for high-end graphics cards. It will be released soon.