Delay on exit?

takis

Does anybody else have a significant program delay, when exiting while the timeline is still playing?

I understand that it is NOT a good practice to exit while previewing the timeline, but I cannot help doing it... Whether I need to record, or to load another project, or simply just exit, I shut down the program before I stop the timeline. Then, the mouse pointer locks into "busy", program halts and I can still hear my clip playing for several seconds - sometimes until the end!

Regards,

Takis

Hi

".....Does anybody else have a significant program delay, when exiting while the timeline is still playing? ...."

Not particularly :)   Click the Close X ;  Project continues to play but Message comes up noting Project has changed with options to Save / Discard or Cancel. Program closes immediately when Discard is selected. There is no significant delay with short projects. (Running VP 8.06 on Old Vista machine)

With a longer project when the green caching bar is till running there is a minuscule delay while threads are closed otherwise there is virtually no difference. Sound doesn't play on.

Also no difference if I exit the program when caching has finished and the project is previewing.

Nat

Dear Nat and friends,

Unfortunately, as Dangerfreak confirmed above, it happens... At least several times.

I am running on windows 10, VP version 8.06. The discard/cancel confirmation window comes up immediately, but when I select "discard", it takes several seconds to close. In the meantime, as reported above, the playing clip continues to sound. 

I also noticed that I often get the discard/cancel  window, even if I have no actual changes. As a matter of fact, the only time that it does not appear is after an immediate save... But this is not a big issue. However, the exit delay is an issue, since -at least to me- it takes several seconds! 

Using beta 8.09 three projects were tested, one with dozens of tracks, a second with dozens of edits and a third that ran 30 minutes.  Playing or not playing made no difference on exit timing.  It was instantaneous.

If they had been played but not changed, the "discard" warning appeared;  this may be a cautionary prompt and is likely a good thing.

Effects and transitions were then added to the longest project.  Exit results were the same.  In each case caching was allowed to complete prior to closing.

Finally, the takis My_Den les kouventa was loaded and a half-dozen transitions/effects added.  It was played to completion, then closed.  Prompt appeared and was dismissed, but with no delay.

While a slow exit has been seen occasionally in the past, it could not be replicated in these tests.  Specific PC hardware capabilities may affect this.

22 hours ago, borate said:

Using beta 8.09 three projects were tested, one with dozens of tracks, a second with dozens of edits and a third that ran 30 minutes.  Playing or not playing made no difference on exit timing.  It was instantaneous

Dear Borate,

It is possible that it is a hardware issue of my PC. There is  a fresh windows 10  64bit installation, AMD FX-6350 6-core processor at 3.9GHz,  8GB DDR3 RAM and AMD RX-560 4GB graphics.

I also have some issues with a "clicking" noise at clip junctions, which was also not reproduced by NCH tech personnel. I cannot exclude that all these are local issues of mine.

I will make a video of the problem...

Regards,

Takis

19 minutes ago, borate said:

Better than a video of the issue, post a link to the project so others can attempt to replicate it.

I am trying to replicate the problem, but -as usual - when you take the car to the garage, it works fine...

Although I face this problem daily, it appears to be random... Now that I have Debut up and recording, it doesn't occur!

It is not project-related, since I 've had it randomly more or less in all of my projects.

Needless to say, I am very  frustrated that I cannot replicate it at the time....

Again today, I 've been waiting 20secs for the program to exit... It was not playing any clip at the time.

I cannot find a pattern in order to conclude a possible relation with a specific program function. 

However, I suspect it has do with caching, since during the delay the disk led is working vigorously..

Please forgive my continuous reports, I try to report everything that might be a problem to the programmers. Lately I have this problem more than often...