Letter box vidoes

GlenC

I have created a very simple video. One picture followed by a 2 minutes video clip. I have then added the words.

All looks well until I try to make a video file.

The left hand side disappears and so does the right hand side leaving a thin narrow column of the video.

I have tried every type of option but always the same.

Any ideas?

Hi

Best option is to upload your project to Dropbox or similar and somebody will take a look and advise... Here are the instructions....Post the link you get to the forum..

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

In the meantime,,,

What is the format (AR) of your Video clip and the size (pixel x pixel) of the image that you are using?  

Nat

When I try to export to a video

Preset: HD 1080p

Resolution: 1920x1080 - 1080p HD

Letterbox

Frame side: 29.970fps 

But I've tried 10 different alternatives an all the same result.

I've logged into OneDrive and set the project but it seems to have hung.

Try your portable project upload/share once again please.  What version of VP is being used?

When editing with recent VP versions choose MATCH MONITOR, under the preview window.  Compose text so that it fits within the horizontal boundaries of your images.

Also, with recent versions, you might try adding the Aspect ratio|LETTERBOX effect to the two-minute video clip.

Once the PORTABLE PROJECT is downloaded we can offer suggestions.  Your link demonstrates the problem, but is the exported output file, not the project file.

1.  Place the project on the timeline

2.  Click the 'hamburger' (3-lined menu) at the top-left of the window.

3.  Click FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS .

4.  Upload the resulting file - which will be a folder with a number like this:  2019-12-31 06-09-10

5.  Share the file (make it public) and post the shared link here.

Takes patience but you will succeed.

Hi Glen

".... The left hand side disappears and so does the right hand side leaving a thin narrow column of the video. ..."

I presume this is what you see............

aa.jpg

Unfortunately your link just points to your actual video. (above) which on my old system I can't play direct,) not to a dated folder with the constituent clips as Borate describes,  but It gives an idea of your difficulty.

From what I can see at this moment you have clips that are in portrait format.(9:16?).. (i.e. vertical) These are displayed vertically  in a 16:9 frame (i.e. a Horizontal frame). VP will always (usually) fit the portrait format vertically leaving black areas to each side. Texts are created by VP in a 16:9 format which, when overlaid, match the VP frame horizontally. If the text however, is made wider than the 9:16 vertical image area then it will naturally spill over into the black areas to each side.

I am currently downloading what you posted above so I can run it here so I will have a better idea shortly. Get back to you....

You may have to apply a zoom effect to get a full frame 16:9 video........

P.S....

If you Save Portable Project As   VP will create a dated folder that contains a copy of everything in your project....That is... all the video clips; image clips and audio clips PLUS a vpj file.  These data can be used to recreate your project and determine where you may be going wrong.

Nat

Hi Glen

:) We don't change anything.....We are just users like yourself......:)

"... PS How do I "save Portable Project As" ? ..."

Click the Menu tab at the top left...bb.jpg

NOTE: Depending of which VP version you are using you may have a File option here...(This is 7.51) If not....

...this opens a further Menu...ccc.jpg

Select File.......dd.jpg and then Save Portable Project As

Give a folder name (or just click Desktop) and VP will save a copy of the project along with its files to a dated folder and display a message.....

xx.jpg  (I have nested desktops..:unsure:....you won't)

It's the contents of THAT folder you send to Dropbox etc.

Nat

Nat's tutorial and analysis of the issue is right on and, yes, your most recent link is again the final product.  That's not useful in reconstructing the project as you see it on the timeline.

Normally, using FILE menu|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS opens an explorer (file manager) window.  You choose which folder you want for storage - often the DOWNLOAD folder. This process takes only seconds.  The you upload the dated saved portable folder.  That can take longer, depending upon file size and project length or complexity.

Your project isn't lengthy and appears to use only a single video, with text superimposed.  Here's an alternative to saving it as a portable project...

1.  With the project on the timeline, click FILE|SAVE PROJECT FILE AS (not portable save).  Choose the same folder that contains the source video file.

2.  Upload your video SOURCE file (not the final export) to the server.

3.  Upload the .vpj file that resulted from the save you just did.

4.  Make each of those uploaded files public.

No, once again it's the final product.  The folder created by SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS looks similar to this   image.png  without the "Zoom_glitch" words.

THAT'S the one to upload.  But it may be easier for you to use the alternative method mentioned in my last post.  Simply upload the source file (your two-minute video) and the .vpj file (the one that is created when using FILE|SAVE PROJECT AS.  Make both public and post the links here.

Your last attempt, using another server, did not succeed.  Stick with Google Drive.

Hi  Glen

Your film downloaded (but didn't show the image I posted above,,,,,which I find a bit weird. What I did get when it had downloaded was  a small picture of Dorothy overlaid by truncated text.......The sound track was Prose....

aa.jpg

Is this your project or a download/upload cockup by Google??

Whatever......

If you research Google images you can get the original and load it to VP. The one shown above is cropped. The original is 16:9 (298 x 169 which may be a bit small for full screen)

VP loads this full frame.......

bb.jpg

You can now add your text........

ccc.jpg

You can monitor this in the Sequence Preview window.

Export as mp4 Custom  Wide screen TV..........(or select one of the 16:9 formats)

dd.jpg

As seen in VLC

Is this the sort of thing you are aiming at?

For full screen images try to get a 16:9 format. If you can't then you can use the Zoom effect on the clip  restrained to 16:9 to get rid of any black borders. You can move the zoom area to outline the required bit.

If it is the text you are not getting correctly  then let us know..

Nat

Hi Glen

Further to the previous post. If your image is 9:16 ("Dorothy" in the middle.....as seen in the Clip preview (left)) it will load to VP like this......

bb.jpg

...and will appear in the sequence preview as shown on the right. This is similar to your uploaded file.

Adding the text to this is as usual and in VP will appear like this.....

ddd.jpg

I think you got your result by exporting at a 9:16 resolution. This will certainly export the IMAGE but will crop off the text....

ff.jpg

If you export at a 16:9 AR  (Preset: Custom Wide screen TV for example) it should come out OK...

gg.jpg

Happy New Year!!

Nat

Still getting nowhere with this. Sorry.

I'm going to upgrade to a new version and see if it gives me more options.

Many thanks for your hard effort and time here.

Really appreciate your time and consideration. Happy New Year to you all.

Sorry you have had a tough time with this.  But, again, urge you to simply upload and share two files...

Your SOURCE video (two-minutes) and the .VPJ file that is created when you use FILE|SAVE PROJECT AS (not Portable project).  Then we can test an export.

With the current VP version, there are new Aspect Ratio options available in the effects window that can be tested:  CROP, LETTERBOX and STRETCH.  One of those, applied to your video, may solve the problem.  Those aspect ratio choices are also available on the clip in the bin via the right-click menu.  Once applied, the clip can then be dropped onto the timeline.

And, as Nat mentions above, "If you export at a 16:9 AR  (Preset: Custom Wide screen TV for example) it should come out OK"