Audio File - No Waveform - No Sound

Hagtech

Hi, just paid to upgrade from 3.xx to 7.51 (solving a different issue).  With this version I can't get VP to display or play an audio file.  I've tried WAV, MP3, even downloaded WAV from NCH.  No waveform ever shows up (it did in 3.xx).  File loads fine.  Video files work.  My files work fine everywhere else.

I've uninstalled, re-installed, rebooted, tried every damn option / button I can find.  Using same WAV file in WavePad works just fine!!!  Dumbfounded... 

screenshot

The WAV files are fine.  I even tried to load the WAV samples from NCH.  They don't work either (although they play ok with other programs).  Sample WAV files from NCH server play in download window, but when moved to Audio Track 1 on timeline I get the glitch (no waveform, no sound).

Works fine here in 7.51.

Close Videopad.

Delete the Components folder, which should be in one of these paths, then reinstall.

• C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components\aacenc3\aacenc3.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components\aacenc3\aacenc3.exe

Trying not to be too snarky here, but I've been a VP user for years (since version 3).  The problem here isn't the WAV file!!!  It's something to do with VP, perhaps setup, a button I'm not clicking, a menu item, an option.  Something like that.  Could be a real bug?  Note the files work fine in WP and in the pop-up window for downloading tracks from NCH.  

First of all, thanks Borate for the quick answers.  I did a few more tests.  Did another uninstall, then ran CCleaner to fix registry, rebooted, then re-installed.  No go!  Downloaded Revo, uninstalled using that.  Rebooted.  Re-installed.  No go!  Nothing changed since day one.  FWIW, I also re-register SW each time with my paid license.

screen shot

I can still play songs and see waveforms in WavePad.  I can attach to NCH server and play songs withing VideoPad in the small window.  I can download those songs into VideoPad.  Yet when I add them to track, all I get is gray.  No waveform, no sound.

I hate to waste several years of experience using WavePad (since version 3), but I'm in a bind here.  What would you recommend for a replacement?  MOVAVI?  AVS4U?  I really don't need a lot of sophistication, just something basic that works, combines video and audio, does a few transistions, and subtitles. 

Haven't a clue.  No one else has reported this.  Did any audio file load load after the update?   Try this beta version.

Older versions are available here, should you want to revert.  But your license key likely won't be good for those.

File a bug report by clicking the chevron at the top-right of the VP window.  Reference this thread.

Perhaps revert to your old, working version?

At a loss to pin down the issue, as it cannot be replicated here and has not been previously reported AFAIK.

Hints at something unique to your system.  Stay tuned, perhaps someone else will have a clue.

Do report this to NCH, with reference to the thread.  There's also a refund policy, should it sadly come to that.

Hi

Your image relates to VP 7.51..same as mine but here audio files from the library (and elsewhere) work as expected.

There is an odd thing with your posted image using the same version......

The audio file you show  (apparently downloaded from the Sound library) shows the "Note" thumbnail ...

ccc.jpg

.......whilst mine shows the "Waveform" thumbnail......

aa.jpg

Question....Do ALL your non-playable files show the same thumbnail?  This thumbnail normally shows when Audio files are being converted by VP. .........With small files it may not even be noticed but with bigger files it appears for a longer time.....

bb.jpg

if you load a large file (In the above case it's an mp3 of a recent concert)  do you get the "processing" tab with the egg timer?

If it sticks at just the "Notes" thumbnail it may be something not working at that point for you...although my 7.51 works OK.

I've asked NCH to have a look at this post

Nat

All of the WAV and MP3 files had no waveform in the icon.  That's a good clue!  I didn't try any big files.  There is some incompatibility introduced after 7.30 caused by something odd with my machine.  We just couldn't find it.  Maybe registry, maybe another program, maybe anti-virus.  Maybe because I run Opera and not Chrome.  We won't know.  I'm not loading 7.51 again...