Help Overlaying still frames over video

EGOR

I am trying to prepare a video project for next week.  I am trying to overlay a still image that I have over certain parts of a video clip, essentially so that parts of the video are masked.  I have been trying to use the  Add Objects > Add Overlay Image function to do this, since that sounds appropriate, but cannot figure it out.  I am not very tech savvy, but can certainly follow simple instructions.  Please help me!  

Add Objects > Add Overlay Image is one route.

Or position the scrubber (red line) where you want the overlay to be and right-click the image in the bin.  Choose OVERLAY ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.  OR simply drag the image to track 2.

Depending upon the size of the track 2 image, it may be all that can be seen.  Higher tracks take precedence over lower tracks.

Click the fx button in that track 2 clip and use POSITION, SCALE or other effects to place and size it where you want it.  The background image on track 1 will be seen behind the overlay.

You can even animate the overlay image, to track the background scene.  See http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/effects_animating.html

Thanks, but that seems to just overlay the exact same clip I already have over itself?  How do I choose a new still image to overlay the animated clip?  Think, how would you simply overlay something like credits over an animated clip?  Should be possible, no?

Hi

Assuming you have a clip on Video Track 1 then you load your still image onto a higher track; let's say Video Track 2.and you adjust its position to be on top of the video clip. Position the red cursor line so it passes  vertically through both clips.

Now look at the Sequence preview screen.   Initially your still image will probably cover the video and that is all you will see. If you now click the FX at the start of the Still image clip you will open the effects pane from which you can select the Scale effect. reduce the scale values whilst monitoring the result in the Sequence Preview pane. You should now see your video. You can also position the overlay still image using the Position effect.

Credits (Text images) are automatically created against a transparent background (although you can make this opaque if you wish. They behave like images in that you can apply effects to them.(Scaleposition etc. and you can animate them using keyframes) By default they are created at the cursor position on a higher track.You can animate Titles  and even simple text can be scrolled and positioned basically in the frame.

Nat

Getting there, but I don't understand the difference between Horizontal (ratio), Base X, and Offset X.  An explanation of the difference might really help me to place the still image where I need it.  Tank you!!

X is the horizontal axis, Y is vertical.  When the A/R (aspect ratio) box is checked, the (ratio) sliders are locked together.  Compose a text overlay with an X in the center.

With Scale settings at the default, move the X (ratio) slider and note that the X overlay changes size but not screen position.  It remains centered.

Now set the Base X slider to -60.  This creates a new base point designated by the black dot.  The X is no longer centered.  As the X (ratio) slider is moved the image moves towards and away from the repositioned base point.

Reset the Base X to 0.00 and set the Offset X slider to -60.  As the X (ratio) slider is moved the X will be offset from the base point.

Play around and it will start to make sense.  Complex moves can be created.

Hi

Borate explains the parameters pretty well but if you set up Dual preview screens under Options/Display you can see better what happens, both to the timeline sequence you are working on as well as the Clip preview screen where you can see the Effect visual controls like the Scale rectangle or the Zoom rectangle etc.

When changing the size of a clip or image using Scale just click the Maintain AR box. You can now move the horizontal OR vertical slider  left or right to alter the size of the clip/image without distorting it. Sliding either to the left makes the image smaller and sliding either of them to the right makes it bigger. That's about the gist of it. You can use the other values  or try dragging the black spot about to move the image about within the frame but it's easier to add a Position effect to do this as it's a bit more intuitive. e.g. Here is an image scaled down and placed in the bottom left corner of a background clip...

aa.jpg

The effects pane shows I have used both the Scale effect and a Position effect to do this.

Nat

You have helped a lot, thank you.  But now, after laboring for 2 nights to get the still images placed exactly where I want them, when I created the "final" version, by using Export video > Video file> and saving as .mp4 format, the images are placed higher on the screen than I intended.  What might I be doing wrong? 

OK, new problem but on the same project.  I am using the Censor video effect, which I've got figured out, somewhat.  I know how to place the censor bar where I want it in space on the screen, but don't understand how to place it at the correct TIME on a video clip.  As it is right now, the censor bar appears throughout the entire length of my  video clip.  In other words, how do I set the start and stop time for a video effect?

What you see in preview should be pretty much what you get - if MATCH MONITOR mode is chosen.  But even if MATCH CONTENT is the choice, the image should not move vertically when exported.  If there's a difference between VP preview and the exported file, it could be a monitor issue.  Have you tested another monitor?

As to effect placement:  Effects can be animated.  Keyframes (represented by dots) can be set for IN/OUT times ... and to track a moving image, if necessary.  As the subject changes position, drag the effects window scrubber (red line) to the new position.  A new keyframe should be automatically set.  If not, click the green + sign.

image.png

Here is an in-depth look at how to animate.

Share your project and someone will check it out. 

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Got it.  Thanks.  Now the trouble is that I can't seem to move the box on the preview window so I can get it  into position on the screen because once I try to move the censor box on the preview window, the video starts playing.

Hi

Putting censor and making it move....

• Put main clip on Video track 1. You will get the best (easiest to set up) result if the object to cover up moves in the video clip in a straight line or at least doesn't change position too much.
  • Set up Dual preview displays from Options/DisplayShow dual previews. You can more easily show effects and results
  • Click the FX box on the clip and select Censor effect. I shall use an easy example clip where a dinghy sails from left to right and I shall censor it out out for the duration of the clip. To make it more easily seen on this example I have selected a black rectangle. Initially this appears in the centre of the frame....
  • aa.jpg
  • Move the red Clip preview cursor line to the start of the clip. You will see that in the Effects window (right hand side) the red line also moves to the left... If you don't see this graph pane click the button I have circled in yellow....
  • bb.jpg
  • Now adjust the censor shape and position by dragging the points etc in the Clip preview screen so it covers the area required. In this case the left hand dinghy......
  • ccc.jpg
  • Now create a Keyframe by clicking the first button above the graph area....the SMALL green +  This sets a Keyframe at the cursor position. In this case the start of the clip, fixing the cursor over the object at your starting point
  • Now move the red cursor line along the clip preview to a point where the object leaves the screen or changes speed . In this example the dinghy keeps a straight line across the screen and doesn't change speed but I will create a second keyframe half way across the screen ....
  • dd.jpg
  • Now drag the cursor along so it once again covers the object....... You may have to alter the censor size if the object gets larger or smaller in the frame......
  • ee.jpg
  • Create a second keyframe by clicking the small green + This again fixes the censor over the object at that point in the clip.
  • Continue to move the cursor line along the graph (or clip preview screen) covering the object with the censor each time you feel the object is deviating or changing size. In this example I covered the dinghy from one side of the screen to the other with 3 keyframes. The Effects window then looked like this....
  • ff.jpg
  • You can preview your result by playing the Clip preview and if at any point the censor is not in place due to unexpected speed changes you can simply stop the playback and adjust the censor in the effects window and create another keyframe. You can create as many keyframes as you wish to ensure a smooth movement of the censor.

When finished your censor should follow the object for the duration of the clip. Obviously if the object has numerous changes of speed and direction you will need more keyframes fix the censor position..

Hope this helps

Nat