Crop video and export to the exact size

EtoDem

• 1 month later...

I see I'm sharing other users' frustration with the inability to crop. I've seen multiple suggestions of using zoom as a workaround, but I don't see how that can work for me. I have a 1920x1080 video and I want to maintain the height and just remove the sides so the final product is 960x1080. This is a non-standard aspect ratio, but it's what I need, and a black matte on this video keeping it at 1920 is NOT usable. Is there any way to get this result in VideoPad?

I was able to do the majority of my editing in VideoPad and then use VideoProc Converter to get the result I wanted, so I know this end result is technically possible. It would, of course, be preferable to perform all edits in the same software, especially in the editor I've already purchased.

Hi  

VP 10.43.....

"........I have a 1920x1080 video and I want to maintain the height and just remove the sides so the final product is 960x1080........."

OK.....Here it is on Track 1.....

z.jpg

".......and I want to maintain the height and just remove the sides so the final product is 960x1080........."

OK..... 960 x 1080 is an AR of 0.8   or  approx (4:5)

So, add a Crop effect of AR 4:5 (it's on the list of crops) and set the X2 value to 80  (0.8 of 100% width which centres the cropped area)

zz.jpg

Result is a video 960 x 1080. Unless you want to squash it you HAVE to lose the side areas. 

Is this what you want??  

Nat

• 4 months later...

I've tried nearly every example and I end up with some skewed video or no change at all. I have a video that is much taller than needed and the video is centered in the form. I don't know the dimensions and I have not seen how to get them. Like the other person, I want to crop and save ONLY the crop portion and I do NOT know the dimensions. I'm a noob here, ok? So how do I do that? In Paint.Net I can see the image size and automatically resize to crop. I see no such feature here so how in blazes to I accomplish the same task?

-0-

I figured it out. I had to zoom it then place it on the video track. I didn't realize that the crop was on the preview only and what's on the track is what gets saved. Then exported it in a 720p using Zoom and the app handled the ratio itself. I suppose I could have selected 1080 HP, but I wanted to upload the video and 720p is a smaller... anyway, that worked.

ZOOM will fill the frame.  It can be applied to the bin clip, then dropped onto the timeline.  Or the clip can be dropped first, then ZOOM applied, which will not affect the original in the bin.

As you have discovered, Crop and Zoom during export can also be useful.

• 1 year later...

This may not be the most elegant solution, but I was facing the same problem as you.  I solved it by Cropping the original video, and exporting as is.  I opened the video in an image editor to figure out the dimensions of the space I wanted to keep.  Once I'd noted those, I used the Scale effect to move my cropped image to the centre of the project, and exported the video to the cropped video dimensions that I'd calculated with Photoshop set to 'Crop and Zoom.'