Aspect Ratio (again)

one clip downloaded from the internet requires the "Stretch" effect with a different aspect ratio than all the other PHOTO images being used.  Regardless, in the Sequence preview,, of what I use for aspect ratio, the downloaded item looks like it is being "squished" inward rather than stretch.  Then the photo appear in the sequence with black on both the left and right edge, BUT, almost immediately correct themselves and the black goes away. 

I thought if I put an effect on the downloaded item and selected Match Content, VP should work.  But NOPE

My opinion....it should not be this difficult.    Is the Mac based program better and easier, if there is a Mac-based version?

When I tried to delete all items on the sequence and start over the same thing happens.  I have Match Monitor.  I have no Effects on any of the photos, title page or text page, but the photos all stretch out after appearing to be fine initially.  This is nuts in my opinion. 

MATCH MONITOR and MATCH CONTENT affect the preview display, not the output.

If you haven't already done so, open the effects window for your clip and then use the aspect change option that looks best.

You can also change the aspect ratio of the clip in the bin prior to adding it to the sequence.  Use the right-click menu   Many choices are available.

When the photos stretch out is this on the sequence, or in the exported file?

Upload the PORTABLE project per the instructions here...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

Someone will check it out.

HI Non Techie

If you supply the following it may be possible to set up the scenario and see whats needed here without you having download anything.....

What is the actual size (pixel x pixel) of the image/clip that needs to be  stretched? (Right click the thumbnail in the clip bin and look at Properties.)

What is the actual size (pixel x pixel) of the other images that seem to be OK?  (Right click the thumbnail in the clip bin and look at Properties.)

The AR of what you see and what you get has become a little confusing with the last few versions of VP.  For example the Match Monitor setting does not effect the export from VP nor the timeline appearance but the Sequence preview shows what your particular PC screen will show. (WYSIWYG) 

e.g. I may have a 16:9 (1280 x 720) clip imported to VP which looks fine in the Sequence preview window when set at Match Content .....

aa.jpg

.......but I use a 1024 x 768 monitor which won't display this correctly full screen so if I set the preview display to Match Monitor the image in the preview window has black bars and shows me what my export will look like on my monitor......

bb.jpg

The export set as 1280 x 720  (the AR of the clip) will always (irrespective of the VP preview setting)  look like this on my monitor...

dd.jpg

Of course I could buy a new monitor........

If you have a mixture of ARs on the timeline or choose to export at an AR different to the content, VP will offer the choice of either Letterboxing the image (you will see it all unaltered in the export but with bars top and bottom....with a 16:9 monitor)....Cropping and Zooming the export to fit the selected AR in the whole screen or Stretching the image to fit the selected AR

But note that these options are also available as video effects where they can be used to correct these type of anomalies before the project is exported.

So it can all be a bit confusing.

Anyway, post the requested data and a mock up sequence can easily be set up...

Nat

The export set as

I am trying to figure this out.   So when I watch the Sequence Preview and see the "black" border around the photo images using Match Monitor OR Match Content, this is NOT what may actually export?   Did I read that accurately?

Secondly, if did you say that IF I need to change the AR, that must be done first in the Clip Preview area THEN place on the sequence?

In the Image Clip Bin, I select the picture images that were added.  When they appear in the Clip Preview window, they appear without black borders.  So am I to assume when I export it will appear without black borders?

I will test an export to a DVD disc. 

So when I watch the Sequence Preview and see the "black" border around the photo images using Match Monitor OR Match Content, this is NOT what may actually export?

MATCH MONITOR will display what you see on your monitor if the export setting has not been overridden when choosing another export resolution.  The export res applies to the entire sequence, not just to an individual clip.

Did you say that IF I need to change the AR, that must be done first in the Clip Preview area THEN place on the sequence?

No.  That's but one method of changing the aspect ratio.  But it offers a wide variety of choices to optimally display individual clips.

In the Image Clip Bin, I select the picture images that were added.  When they appear in the Clip Preview window, they appear without black borders.  So am I to assume when I export it will appear without black borders?

Probably, viewing as MATCH MONITOR, if the AUTO MATCH suggestion in the export dialog (and it's just a suggestion) matches your monitor's resolution.

Generally, dealing with an individual clip in the bin might be the most direct method of addressing A/R.

Secondly, the A/R effects choices - letterbox, crop and stretch - can be applied.  Will take some experimentation

If you upload your project as instructed above someone will view it as you see it, and help to clear up these issues.  Or post the info that Nat requested.

Be aware too that in Windows 10 an ISO file can be played as if it were a DVD, sparing you the waste of a disk.  In the BURNER field of Videopad's DVD movie disk output window choose IMAGE FILE.  Then open the ISO that results by double clicking on it.  A new drive letter should appear in the Windows 10 file manager.  And this drive can be opened as a DVD in a player like MPC-HC.

Is there any update if someone was able to look at the uploaded video?  When I preview it on my pc, some (not ALL) of the photo images will start out with black borders, CORRECT, to no border and just about when the transition occurs, they photo images drop back to black borders.   FYI:  all photo clips 6 seconds in duration.

The video is complete.  I am concerned on export that I will see exactly what I am seeing on my pc.

Thank you.

It is difficult to unravel exactly how the project was constructed, but after deleting aspect ratio changes on most clips, then exporting at 1980 x 1020p with the letterbox default it looked sharp.  See my PM for a link to the downloadable finished product and the corrected portable project files.