Size of Sequence Preview Image in VP 7.12 Beta

Nationalsolo

Hi

VP  7.12 Beta

I have to say I am not certain what happens to the Sequence preview display when the Aspect Ratio setting Match Display is chosen.

I have added a 1920 x 1080 (16:9) clip to the timeline.  This is the sequence preview with different AR settings....

• Aspect Ratio 16:9 The preview is presumably 16:9 and the clip displays full screen with no borders as expected....

aa.jpg

• Aspect Ratio : Match Content As the "Content" is a video of AR 16:9  VP now sets the preview to 16:9 to match it. I interpret this as meaning that in practice nothing actually changes. This seems to be the case.....

bb.jpg

• Aspect Ratio: Match Display.   This is what I now get.....

ccc.jpg

The image of the 16:9 clip has borders now at the top and bottom. I am aware that VP 7.12 Beta has the AR (Resolution) of the display now set internally whereas in previous versions Options/Display allowed the user to set those values.

The black bars thus seem to indicate that the Display chosen by NCH is not 16:9 and the image has been shrunk to fit. (As, indeed it is with all the other AR settings)

If this is  the case what is the default resolution of the display to which the video clip is matched?

It is interesting to note that 1920 x 1080 Snapshot of the sequence display when Matched to the display produces a  png  without the borders of 768 x 432 (16:9) pixels.

Nat

Hi Borate

Are you saying that 16:9 ; Content  and Display are all identical?   My  post above shows that the 16:9 image is complete and the same at each setting  but that Match Display shows black bars top and bottom. Are you not seeing the bars?

The right click on the Match Display screen shows that Letterbox is set.....

aa.jpg

This is the only setting that shows the whole image unstretched (albeit with bars) Crop and Zoom chops the sides ..and then zooms to fill the Display . Stretch retains the width but distorts the image vertically to cover the black bars. This infers that the Display AR is not 16:9. I am just wondering what it actually is and why.

Also I thought I had D/L the latest Beta version of 7.12 Beta but I notice that the single clip I used auto loaded to the timeline still. I thought that had been stopped.

Nat

Sorry the tool tip (and help doc.) is missing. Here's the explanation:

Match Content - Scan the sequence, find the majority aspect ratio of the clips and pick a most reasonable (for quality consideration etc.) aspect ratio.

Match Display - Use aspect ratio from the monitor that the preview window is on.

So if you only have one 16:9 video clip in the sequence, Match Content will be 16:9.

Hi c_major

" Match Display - Use aspect ratio from the monitor that the preview window is on. "

Ah!  So that Sequence preview appearance is determined by the AR of the MONITOR!

Got it!   In fact my monitor is set at 1024 x 768 which is an AR of 1.33  and explains the discrepancy I was  getting. I changed the screen resolution to 1600 x 900 (16:9) and apart from needing a strong magnifying glass to read anything, the setting gave a full image with no bars for Match Display. The layout also explained why Borate got a different GUI display to me in the images he posted .:)

The only other monitor setting I have close to AR 1.777 is 1360 x 768 (very close to 16:9) which also works but is still too small for me.

I have to say I was under the impression that "Display" meant the resolution set for the sequence preview within VP now the user list had been removed in this Beta version.

I shall continue to use 1024 x 768 however as it gives a comfortable screen image size.

Thanks for the explanation. It now makes sense.

Nat