Telephony Boards vs Modems

ConfusedAnt

Can anyone tell me how much better a telephony board really is over a good voice modem? My relatively old Zoom modem (sorry, don't have the exact model on hand) delivers terrible voice quality. However, I'm a little skeptical about a $300 device being that much better.

Has anyone actually tried a Telephony card and seen the difference?

Can they produce voice as good as any person talking on the phone? (That's where I'd put the bar for $300)

In particular, I'd really like to hear from anyone who's used the telephony board that NCH recommends:

http://www.nch.com.au/hardware/telephony.html

It's probably the one I'd get since they recommend it.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me how much better a telephony board really is over a good voice modem?  My relatively old Zoom modem (sorry, don't have the exact model on hand) delivers terrible voice quality.  However, I'm a little skeptical about a $300 device being that much better.

Has anyone actually tried a Telephony card and seen the difference?

I use a Way2Call telephony device. Before I got it I had tried a great many voice modems and none were really satisfactory at all. The Way2Call USB device givex excellent sound quality and always knows when to and when NOT TO hang up.

Can they produce voice as good as any person talking on the phone?  (That's where I'd put the bar for $300)

The Way2Call does.

In particular, I'd really like to hear from anyone who's used the telephony board that NCH recommends:

http://www.nch.com.au/hardware/telephony.html

It's probably the one I'd get since they recommend it.

I could not get it to work at all and returned it.

Don

• 5 months later...
I use a Way2Call telephony device. Before I got it I had tried a great many voice modems and none were really satisfactory at all. The Way2Call USB device givex excellent sound quality and always knows when to and when NOT TO hang up.

The Way2Call does.

I could not get it to work at all and returned it.

Don

The heck with hardware... Try using VOIP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I used several Zyxel modems, they are very popular here, never saw on the market here Zoom and other modems mentioned on a site. So Zyxel Comet 3356 worked well, but sound quality was not the best. Then I bought recommended Synway Cahta board, 8 ports and sound quality is perfect, really much better than voice modem. Another problem with Zyxel voice modems is that some older modems have only old drivers for win 98, so cannot properly install them on win 2000 and win xp.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if the professional telephony devices and particularily the way2call usb device work for IVM on a VOIP service (not using SIP). Does it matter what kind of line. eg VOIP digital vs analog?

Thanks for any information on this.

There are very few VoIP services that don't use SIP to communicate, Skype is one and maybe a couple of others around the world, but in general almost all provider use SIP even if they lock the device and don't tell you what your SIP account details are.

I don't know about that particular device.

I do suggest that you look into the SPA 3000 or SPA 3102 Sipura FXO adapter. It will take any analogue line, whether its coming from the phone jack, or the ATA of any voip service and it will interface itself with NCH software such as Axon and indirectly with IVM so you can have incoming calls managed by the computer using Axon and have various rules about where to send the calls, eg ring the phones in the house or send the call to IVM to take a voicemail message. The advantage of the Sipura FXO adapter is it also enables you to call out on the phone line from any digital phone connected to Axon over the network.

If you want more information on the advantages of the FXO adapter, what its purpose is and how it compares to voice modem / board please PM/Message me

There are very few VoIP services that don't use SIP to communicate, Skype is one and maybe a couple of others around the world, but in general almost all provider use SIP even if they lock the device and don't tell you what your SIP account details are.

I do suggest that you look into the SPA 3000 or SPA 3102 Sipura FXO adapter. It will take any analogue line, whether its coming from the phone jack, or the ATA of any voip service and it will interface itself with NCH software such as Axon and indirectly with IVM so you can have incoming calls managed by the computer using Axon and have various rules about where to send the calls, eg ring the phones in the house or send the call to IVM to take a voicemail message. The advantage of the Sipura FXO adapter is it also enables you to call out on the phone line from any digital phone connected to Axon over the network.

If you want more information on the advantages of the FXO adapter, what its purpose is and how it compares to voice modem / board please PM/Message me