Best way to speed up VideoPad

Russ Croucher

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make my computer run as fast as possible with VideoPad.  I'm currently running the 7.10 which I have not updated to 7.11 yet, all licensed.  Computer hardware is my cup of tea since I'm a computer engineer.  So I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make VideoPad run faster.  Is it CPU speed?  Is it memory?  GPU speed?  Is it GPU type?  So currently here is what I'm running:

Dual XEON 2.7 GHz with 8 cores each totaling 16 cores.  1TB SSD, 48 gigs of RAM.  GEFORCE GTX 1080 GPU.  Windows 7 professional.

So what what I do to increase my VideoPad speed?  Thoughts?

Well, you have 6 times more RAM than I do, so I don't know how fast you talkin' about. I can work on VideoPad just fine with only so much memory.

I'm trying to figure out what's going to help my speed the best.  I came from a slower machine with only 12 gigs of RAM/6 cores and noticed that it was slow.  Once I moved to this machine I have definitely noticed an improvement in speed.  I'm still trying to determine if is the video card, memory, CPU speed, what?  I know that if I were to go more than 16 cores like 18 or 20 cores I would have to go with water cooled and I don't want that.  I'm doing this mainly for image stabilization which takes over 100% of the real-time speed to process the video.  Example, a 2 hour video will take 2 hours of image stabilization processing on this machine.

If working with large, hi-res source material Proxy Editing may reduce the load, resulting in a faster, better experience. But that doesn't address the stabilization issue.

You might also toggle Use Hardware Accelerated Video Effects, under OPTIONS|EDITING tab and see which setting gives best results.

Hi

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500@ 2.2GHz, 2.0 GB RAM
NVIDEA GeForce GT 730.

Yup.....Only 2 Gb of RAM but it still runs VP...albeit from the back of the pack...but it gets there...eventually!  The top of the Utility Proc box is bady bruised due to the number of times it gets hit by 100%!

Image stabilization is time consuming. The app has to do two passes of the video, the first to calculate and store the amount of displacement required and its direction  to match each frame in the clip and the second pass to actually make the matches and then to calculate the degree of zoom and crop required to remove the borders created where frames have been displaced. VP has bypassed the user having to enter values in the settings screens for each pass by including   High/Medium/Low etc. quality boxes. But by clicking the Advanced button you can also set your own values.This can be a bit mind boggling.  Logically the initial pass of the clip takes the longest time as the displacement of blocks of pixels and their direction of displacement is calculated and the values stored. The user can set how big those blocks can be and set how far a displacement can be before the app registers it. If these values are carefully set it may reduce the time the passes take. The more blocks the more data. The lower the resolution of each frame the less data. Bigger pixel blocks less data etc. The displacements can vary between different blocks. Normal zooms/Pans etc. can fool the App as it may see the image movement as a shake displacement and try to correct it but if it continues in the same direction for long enough  it can be set to be ignored etc. This is why you may see black borders when these normal filming devices are employed even when the second pass is set to remove these.  All these calculations take time.

It was interesting that in the original VirtualDub program on the VD site...(sorry VirtualDub site) ,) the first pass allowed you to see in real time the corrections to the pixel blocks and the direction of movement of the blocks between frames  in the form of small arrows.

However, the settings are not that easy to understand.. Here is a link to the info page...

http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm

In short its going to take time

Nat