Welcome dialog

APPLIANCES

Never see "loading effect and transition icons" here - just the Welcome screen (if enabled) covered by the NCH logo for five-seconds at start up.

Does it still occur after the program has been launched several times?

Hi

The "Loading effect and transition icons" comes up on occasions here but it certainly isn't a regular event. It's not a bug though. Ive never checked why it happens but may be associated with running a new version of VP for the first time; possibly after Cleanout program is run or following a similar Windows utility. Perhaps after a Windows Restore. I can't remember in fact if the Wecome Dialogue page disappears as a result of that particular loading window coming up. I would have thought it would remain after the icon loading was complete.

Originally all the VP program was incorporated in the setup file which about 5Mb now it's only around 2.5 Mb so it appears some features are loaded when the program is run for the first time . But it's not every time it is launched.

Although it may prevent you making choices from the opening Welcome Dialogue screen on these occasions, the options (New project/Open project/Open Template etc.) can be accessed from the File (or Hamburger) tab at the top left of the toolbar.

Nat

Thanks for the reply.

When I upgraded from 5.11 then to 7.0 and now to 7.11 this did not happen. I have been running 7.11 for some time and then suddenly each time I start VP it happened. Its consistent, it now happens each time I open VP. The "Loading effect and transition icons" message appears closing the “Welcome” dialog. It’s not associated with running any windows utilities. I can open close, open VP again and get the same result. I tried going back to 7.0 but the same thing happens. I am now back on 7.11. As you say I can use other methods to open or start projects but its not as user friendly.

Any thoughts how I can fix this issue. If its not a bug it should not be happening.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this issue.

Windows 10

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz Memory: 16384MB RAM and SSD.

Hi

The "Loading effects and Transition icons" window that comes up is when VP updates when it sees these folders are missing.

When you have closed down VP check the following folder...

User name/AppData/Roaming/NCH Software/Videopad

You should find the following files.... (at last I do in Vista)....

aa.jpg

If the effects_transitions folder is not there VP loads it at startup (not sure where from) and puts up the Initializing VideoPad window.....

bb.jpg

On my PC this runs for only a few seconds but is mostly covered by the VP Version number Splash screen.

ee.jpg

I would have expected the Splash screen and the Load screen to vanish leaving the Wecome screen and its choices, but here THAT screen closes as soon as the load screen is complete.

That may be a bug. and I'll report it. However the initiator (here at least) is the absence of the effects_transitions folder. Check you have it when VP is up and running, and check if it is there when VP is closed down (or you PC has had a shut down.

Nat

Thanks for taking the time to look into my issue.

Under OPTIONS|DISK tab, I cleared the unused cache files.  It made no difference.  I reinstalling the program, no change.

If I look at the effect_transition folder it does exist with VP closed or running. However, each time VP is opened the “Date Modified” date/time is updated to VP opening time. However, the two folders it contains, effects and transitions and the png files they contain retain their original dates.

The message I get is different from the one you get. I would of included a screen shot but cant see how?

Yours “Generating effect and transition icons”

Mine “Loading effect and transition icons”

We are both using 7.11

The "Loading effects and Transition icons"  should only really come up once. It is just loading the thumbnails for certain effects and transitions for when you look at them in the popup menus. If it somehow can't find that folder, then it would re-generate the folder with all the icons. I can't think of why it would always appear for you, however.

Thanks all for your help.

Borate thanks for suggesting the Revo Uninstaller. Used it to uninstall VP. In the section where it uses VP uninstaller I ticked “Delete data files” then used Scanning modes – Advanced.

For leftover registry items selected all – delete. For leftover files and folders selected all – delete.

Restarted my PC. Re-downloaded 7.11 and installed. Even on the auto opening of VP at the end of install I see the dialog “Loading effect and transition icons”. So still have the issue!

Nationalsolo before the above I tried renaming the “effect_transient” folder then opened VP.

The message I got was “Generating effect and transition icons”, new folder created. However subsequent opening reverted to the message “Loading effect and transition icons”.

Any other suggestions?

Hi

Hmm That's an odd one. renaming it would have the same effect of courseI actually removed the file in question to the dustbin to check on this and VP simply Generated it again (as above) . I haven't see the Load icons etc that I am aware of.....

Nat

Those two progress dialogs ("Generating" and "Loading") are probably more intrusive than they should be. We could try making it more invisible to the user by having the icons generate/load in the background without showing a dialog of any kind. That would solve the problem of it auto-closing the welcome dialog.

Hi

If you don't take the options available on the Welcome dialogue page and go to the GUI instead then you can easily access all those options you missed  by clicking the File menu (Green "hamburger" button with three white bars in some versions) at the top left of the toolbar...

aa.jpg

the options are all available in the File menu..

bb.jpg

Nat

Nationalsolo thanks for the suggestion. That how I have been forces to play it to be able to use VP.

Borate I de-selecting the welcome window option. As you might expect I still get the “Loading effect and transition icons” message. 

Thanks for your efforts.

Hopefully in a new build this bug will be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

An update.

I was still having the issue.

On starting VP 7.11 the “Welcome dialog” window is closed by a message window “Loading effect and transition icons”, thus the links on the welcome dialog cannot be used.”, when I noticed a beta VP 7.12, so I installed that and this issue went away.

I then read there were some bugs in 7.12 so reinstalled 7.11. Low and behold my issue was still fixed. Perhaps something in 7.12 stuck.

Before I had tried going back to 7.03 and even to 5.11, but that had not helped.

Anyway, my issue seems to be fixed.