Error picture is shown between clips -Videopad

Avskedsfest

HI

Yes the yellow team won, my sons team. At half team the were down 3 goals, 7-4, but then they scored 6 goals in 2nd half and won 8-10!!! Great game!

The .mts files were the original files, this might explain  above post. I think the .mp4 files were not working well so I propose you use the .mts files

And yes, the slow motion error is exactly as you describe. I would like to have a long transition and I would like the program to be able to support it. But you might be on to a work around

What I find strange is that the .mts files used to work well before I updated VP. Ahead of next movie I will change to a 6 version and see if it helps. Just find it strange... I will also search to see if other formats exist for my video camera.

What I also don't get is how Borat could get a perfect output file, and I got a bad one... We were both using same files. STrange...

Thank you all for your help. Hopefully this will make Videopad better in the future. I like the program, easy to work with and very intuitive for a beginner, such as myself

Hi Avsk...

Well,  the mp4 files  from your upload to dropbox (despite being MTS in VP) dowloaded OK here. (Took a bit of time.) and the project loaded eventually. Once cached however,  it loads back in a matter of just seconds.

With respect to the slo-mo section, in the downloaded project this has a duration (at 15% speed) of 5.527 seconds. As the clip actually belongs to the 00000.mpg4 you can grab the right hand end on the timeline and drag it along so it is about 11.00 seconds in duration. The sound track also extends but it works very well. Your star transition of 1 second is OK and after this extension there was no still shot noticeable.

I checked to see if VP "sees" the contents of the mp4 container as having the original file type but this does not happen when I converted some test files so I suspect that this behaviour is something related to the specific program that you used to convert your MTS clips to mp4 clips. nevertheless they work.

BTW I have the same graphics card as yourself but working on a slower Vista machine. :)

Nat

Took a second look at your mp4 project.  Poor preview:  freezes, black frame at end of goalie slow-mo, jumpy transitions.  Export would likely be the same.

The MTS-constructed preview and export here were fine, as you saw.  The only very subtle error seen was the occasional extra field/frame at the start of a transition.

Video editing is resource intensive, so it is conceivable that PC specs could affect the outcome, especially when dealing with large, high-res files.

Some VP users have speculated that AMD processors may lag their Intel counterparts, but that has not been substantiated AFAIK.

Ok

but isn’t it strange that it worked out well before i updated VP? I have all the time used the .mts format

I will try on my sons gaming computer to see if results are the same

and yes, the converted .mp4 files were terrible. Don’t use them

can i delete all shared files? Or do you think the developers still need them?

Give them a few more days, then delete.  Please do report results on your son's PC, which is likely Intel based.  Use VP v7.11.

Another setting you might experiment with is HARDWARE ACCELERATION.  It's under OPTIONS|EDITING tab.

Hi

I just transferred the project to my sons gaming computer (intel core i7), using VP 7.11. It is way faster than my stationary

It gives the same output as on my stationary. Jumpy, freezes etc...

We both have the same setting in the editing tab. the box "use hardware-accelerated video effects (Require SM 2.0 hardware)" is ticked.

I unticked, and exported the project. Same result....

Given that the .mp4 files were corrupt I have only used the .MTS files.

I was just interested how you could get a perfect output file, while I did not. Given we use same program my guess was that the result was because of my computer. Strangely my sons gaming computer gave the same result. 

I always thought that the output would be the same, regardless of the computer, but that it would take more time if the computer is less powerful. Also, as said, I have never had these problems in the past.

Thanks for all your efforts and help. Thanks to you I have been able to post 2 videos. The comming weekend will have 5 more games. Hopefully I can try to install an older version of VP (6 or so) and try to see if all works out great.

Hi

".....Given that the .mp4 files were corrupt ....."

My test here with VP 7.11 of your mp4 upload played fine here...

The only odd thing I noticed was VP labelled all the clip files in the bin as  .mp4 but the timeline clips showed as MTS............

aa.jpg

This might be normal VP behaviour but I have never noticed it before. On the other hand as you say Prism failed to convert your files it may be that your MTS files are in some way odd. The only other thing I can add is that if your clips are scaled or zoomed to an AR of 16:9 and fill your 16:9 preview screen then a 16:9 output selection should be the same. Here the letterbox options are NOT highlighted for either mp4 or avi choices and even if they were with a 16:9 AR either of the selections should still produce a full screen output meaning that letterbox would have no effect even if applied, and crop and zoom would also have no effect as the correct AR is already present.  For conversion.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjrlNX0i5jiAhUNRBUIHTT2BYsQFjAAegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.any-video-converter.com%2Fproducts%2Ffor_video_free%2F&usg=AOvVaw2dywWZMg3Vicr19RRwF6YN

Nat

Baffling.

Nat plays the mp4 version fine;  here it's a mess,  while the MTS incarnation fails on your PCs but succeeds here.  Hardware issues?  "Letterbox" is not active on MTS export.

What are the specs of your son's PC?

Hi again

I uninstalled VP and deleted the data file. I then reinstalled version 7.4. Now all seems to be working.... STrange

If I have time I will once more try to install VP 7.11 and see if it works..

Could it be linked to the cache file (the green bar that takes forever to build)? That it was somewhat corrupt? And that it was deleted when I uninstalled VP. Just a thought...

Interesting...

Installed VP 7.11. open up the same project. Loading the cache file went in minutes. Really fast! However, same issues as before. For example in the preview, the slow motion does not work in the preview.

I then installed VP 7.04. Cache file takes forever to load and VP is almost frozen while it loads... But when it has loaded, the preview looks ok

I will go for the VP 7.04 for now!

Just in case if this haven't been solved yet or have approached another issue... I'll just leave a reply here..

I think there's really a bug that can happen on your preview window, but if it also gets bugged out in the export, maybe you need to check the FPS on both preview and in the export settings.

About the still image being present while a transition is happening, is it a slowed down clip? It really does happen sometimes if your clip goes lower than 50% to 25% of speed.

I can only read the conversation you have here. Sometimes there is a case where the files from the camera itself was the one to make it act strange. Also the speed. Note that slowing down a clip can make a clip jumpy as like it just hit a shockwave in slow motion. If my math is correct...

X*Y

We'll substitute Y as 0.15 since Nationalsolo mentioned.

If your main file runs at 100FPS, that'll result in a 15 frames per second at 15% speed. You won't feel anything becoming a still image for this one.

At 50FPS, it will be 7.5 frames per second. This is where you'll feel that there was some still images.

At 30FPS, the problem with still frames might occur, as it only shows 4.5 frames per second on a 15% clip speed. 9 frames on a span of 2 seconds to be honest.

I hope this bit of info can help you solve the problem.

Also, I wish to look at your project file, but I cant. One of the clips was 2GB in size, and I had a data limit that I need to save, so I can't look at your file.

Also, if there was some moments that a millisecond blank view occurs, check if there were no gaps on the timeline. I have some problems on those when I got multiple layers of video on my timeline, and have like a millisecond between splits.

Hi

Slo Mo,,,

When a clip is slowed down, VP has to duplicate frames to extend the clip. Under normal circumstances the action is applied to clips of normal length....say, 10 seconds or so. Slowing this to half speed means duplicating each frame once. Visually the effect is smooth as there are plenty frames to go at. In this case the clip is a very short clip and only consists of a few frames. Slowing this down to 15% means that each existing frame will need to be duplicated around 6-7 times so you will be seeing each "action frame"  of 7 frames for around 1/5 of a second making the playback jumpy. It may also be (I'm not sure) that VP assembles these in real time as the clip is previewed making the jumpiness worse. The obvious answer to this is not to use slo mo ( negative speed change) when there is inadequate material to work with. That is why I suggested to  Avskedfestto lengthen  the clip a bit and re-apply the speed change. Theoretically that would make it a bit smoother.<_<

Coming out of this post (and also another)....If Scale is used to reduce or enlarge a clip/or image it is difficult (or perhaps impossible without a bit of calculation) to end up with an AR that matches exactly the other clips on the timeline with a specific AR. Using scale means pulling this side or that side about until it looks OK in the preview screen. You can't set a specific AR. The resulting difference in AR between the scaled clips/images and the other clips/images on the timeline will invoke the letterbox option at export. This leads to what looks like an average fit particularly if you auto-match.

So....If, instead of using Scale one uses Zoom, the AR can be set so all clips will then be the same. (As I mentioned Scale does not have precise list of selectable ARs..just a maintain AR feature)  If Zoom is used to scale an image at a selected AR the letterbox feature will be inactive as everything will have the same AR. (Obviously one should select that AR as the export value.)

Nat