Export not same ratio as preview

LuusBueb

Hello,

I am new to VideoPad Professional. I record videos in 3840 x 1080 format so that I can record my screen and record from webcam.

I am trying the following:

1. Crop the video in half. So that I have two 1920 x 1080 videos
  2. Resize them as needed.
  3. And position them how I want.

When I see my sequence in the preview, I can see everything as I want in the 1920 x 1080 ratio. But when I export the video it exports it in 3840 x 1080 format.

Am I missing something? Is this even possible?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions :).

1 hour ago, borate said:

In the export box "auto-match" is just a suggestion.  In the PRESET and RESOLUTION fields choose your resolution of choice from the many options.  There are also many encoder options.

Hello Borate. Thanks for your quick reply. I never used auto-match. No matter what I choose. The output seems to be the same. 

Thanks again. 

Hi

Why have you joined the two videos to get a 3840 x 1080 frame? As it seems you have captured two videos that are 1920 x 1080 (16:9) ..1) The Everything video and  2) the Webcam video. The simplest thing to do is to do a "Picure in Picture." with them.  I presume you want to export at 1920 x 1080 .........

• Place the Webcam video on Video Track 1
  • Place the Everything video on Video Track 2 and move it so it is above Webcam video
  • Click the FX for the Everything Video and select the Scale effect.
  • Reduce the Horizontal (or Vertical) value to less than1.0 (say, around 0.3) until the Everything clip is the size required. (Switch into dual previews to see what is happening)
  • Now add a Position effect to the Everything video and drag it into the position required.

In this example the lady is the Webcam clip and the cat is the Everything clip ......now set as PIP.

aa.jpg

The whole frame is 1920 x 1080 and the clip will be exported exactly as shown provided this resolution is selected in the export window.  In fact the image below is from an mpg4 export using Auto match Content 1920 x 1080  1080p HD

bb.jpg

Nat

9 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

The simplest thing to do is to do a "Picure in Picture."

Hello Nationalsolo,

Thank you for your reply :). I agree that this would be the simplest way. But I do not know how to record two videos at the same time into two separate video files. I use OBS Studio for recording. According to my researches, this is the simplest way to do it. But the editing software was premiere from adobe.

The reason I want to do it like that is that I want to scale the webcam video occasionally. And it needs to be recorded at the same time.

Is there no way to do it? 

Thanks again.

Hi LuusBueb

" Is there no way to do it?"

YES THERE IS BUT IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!! AS THE EXPORT IS A MESS WITH THE LETTERBOX THING!! ....Check carefully through these steps referring to the images.....IT GOES LIKE THIS...

After having a look at this with VP 7.11  I am of the opinion there is a bug with the Crop effect with this version.. I have therefore reloaded VP 7.10 find it works like this.(ALTHOUGH IT DOESN'T)!!... I have made a clip that is 3840 x 1080 using the two images employed in my previous reply above. I think this is equivalent to your starting clip with Everything and Webcam  Let me know if I am wrong.....

• Place the clip on the timeline........

aa.jpg

• Click the FX, the Green + and select the Crop effect.
  • Restrain the AR to 16:9 and enter the values shown below...(or you can drag the box edges)

bb.jpg

The clip preview should now be as shown with the Everything image (Cat) being isolated..

ccc.jpg

• This needs to be enlarged to fill the frame...Apply a Zoom effect maintaining the AR to 16:9. Drag the zoom outline to make the image full frame. (Scale will also work but is more difficult to control. You should now have the full frame as shown....

dd.jpg

• Now EXPORT this clip as a 1920 x 1080 video.(IF YOU CAN....THIS IS WHERE IT FALLS APART IMHO!!)  (Saving as a sequence crashed VP for some reason)
  • Load the original clip from the bin back to the empty  timeline and repeat the process but this time  isolating and zooming the right hand half of the clip...(Webcam image..The lady)

ee.jpg

• Now load back the saved video of the Everything clip. iT SHOULD BE 1920 X 1080....ONLY IT ISNT..IT'S A LETTERBOXED 3840 X 1080.
  • At this point Save your project as. Follow the procedure outlined in my last post to create your Picture in Picture (PIP) of Everything and Webcam.

It's a bit phaffy as you have combined two videos into a double width one. Its compounded by the fact VP 7.11 has a bug in the Crop effect which will need to be reported.

Later.......This SHOULD work BUT HERE THE EXPORT DOESN'T WORK ...

SOMEBODY ELSE TRY IT......I'LL TRY WITH AN EVEN EARLIER VERSION THAT DOESN'T HAVE THE LETTERBOX OPTION *&^&%$***

Regards

Nat

9 hours ago, LuusBueb said:

Hello Nationalsolo,

Thank you for your reply :). I agree that this would be the simplest way. But I do not know how to record two videos at the same time into two separate video files. I use OBS Studio for recording. According to my researches, this is the simplest way to do it. But the editing software was premiere from adobe.

The reason I want to do it like that is that I want to scale the webcam video occasionally. And it needs to be recorded at the same time.

Is there no way to do it? 

Thanks again.

I know there is a way to Record the webcam while recording the entire screen using OBS Studio itself. You just need to make your webcam view to be at the top of the Monitor/Everything view. Just like how the streamers do.

However, if you want the webcam view to move in positions without repositioning them real-time, recording in VideoPad will be best for this task, but due to the bug you are experiencing, which actually was the same bug as mine, maybe I can help you with this.

Although the scenario wasn't as same as mine, here's what I can suggest as a remedy. This remedy works on VP7.10 though.

1. Get a 1920x1080 still image.

2. Apply Transparency Effect to it before dragging it to the timeline. This is to save time applying the same effect over 2 or more of the same layer. Apply effect on the image by right-clicking it, then Effects (if I remember correctly). Set transparency to 0, which is completely transparent.

3. Drag it to the timeline, and make it to be the bottom-most layer. Make the clip length the same length as the entire project. When I tried to make the transparent objects in the bottom-most layers shorter, the "Resolution Override" remedy (or this remedy) won't work. Atleast 2 copies of this track is recommended, as long as it outnumbers the count of your larger resolution videos. Since you have 2 layers of 3840x1080 in your scene, add atleast 3 1920x1080 Fully-Transparent Images on the bottom-most layers. The length of the image must be as long as the full length of the video itself. For example, if your whole video is 20 seconds, the clip with full transparency must be 20 seconds also.

I hope this remedy helps you with your current project.

(Just had school minutes from now, so I can't include images to the step-by-step tutorial for One-Pass only Resolution Override Remedy. I will make a step-by-step image tutorial here later.)

1 hour ago, Nationalsolo said:

SOMEBODY ELSE TRY IT......I'LL TRY WITH AN EVEN EARLIER VERSION THAT DOESN'T HAVE THE LETTERBOX OPTION *&^&%$***

I'm still using 7.03 until that option just goes away. Try that version and you'll thank me later. ^_^

Hi LuuBueb (and Ivan187)

VP Version 7.03

THAT WORKS PERFECTLY!

So my solution for LuuBeub's problem is correct with this version (and it's easy to do ...only takes a few minutes) You can also  use Sequences as this version doesn't crash so there is no need to export anything except at the end....

With this version (VP 7.03)  you can get your required PIP in 1920 x 1080 from the  3840 x 1080 double clip ...

3840 x 1080 images.jpg

Hi LuusBueb

" Is there no way to do it?"

YES! ... But you will need to use an earlier version of VP   7.03

Check carefully through these steps ........It will work...(as I have just done it. :))

I have made a clip that is 3840 x 1080 using the two images employed in my previous reply above.Everything (the cat) and Webcam (The lady)  I think this is equivalent to your starting clip with Everything and Webcam  Let me know if I am wrong.....

•  Place the clip on the timeline........
  • Click the FX, the Green + and select the Crop effect
  • Restrain the AR to 16:9 and drag the box right edge to isolate the Everything clip...the cat)
  • Apply a Zoom effect maintaining the AR to 16:9.
  • Drag the zoom outline to make the image full frame. (Scale will also work but is more difficult to control.
  • Create a Sequence of this clip. This will empty the timeline.The sequence will be in the Sequence bin (but there it will look as though nothing has happened  but don't worry it has the changes)
  • Now load the original clip from the clip bin back to the empty  timeline and repeat the process but this time  isolating and zooming the right hand half of the clip...( The Webcam image..The lady)
  • You can create a second sequence if required but it isn't strictly necessary.
  • Now drag Sequence 1 ..the Everything clip (cat) to Video track 2 so it overlaps the Webcam clip. Here is the timeline at this point....... (See.... it works!)

xx.jpg

• Click the FX for Video Track 2and use the Scale effect to reduce the image and the Position effect to place it in the corner as the PIP image.
  • Export the resulting clip as a 1920 x 1080 clip. In this version (7.03) there are NO LETTERBOX choices to mess the export up and the result is a 1920 x 1080 clip.

Below is an image of the result in VLC which I think shows what you are after...

bb (2).jpg

I think NCH ought to revise version 7.10 (or 7.11) so that the timeline and preview images you have are exported as seen. The letterbox option is causing problems IMHO.....The basic aim in all these programs is WYSIWYG.

Regards

Nat

On 4/30/2019 at 10:25 AM, Nationalsolo said:

YES! ... But you will need to use an earlier version of VP   7.03

Hello again Nationalsolo. I only had the time to check it out now. But I did not find on how I can rollback to a previous version. Where can I get v7.03?

Thank again,

LuusBueb

Hi LuusBueb

Try this link...  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/versions.html

Obviously keep your original installer.  NCH has been doing a revamp of the procedures where an effect follows an effect, the later effect working on the output to the first effect. The result in some cases was not as expected. e.g. scaling the result of a clip that had been rotated or cropped lost parts of the image or the frame size was not adjusted to take account of the crop etc. I'll have to check but this may have been rectified in rcently released VP 7.11 which is the latest version.

Nat