MP3 File

AnneCherch

I've spent two whole weekends on this and still not solved the problem! At last I'm able to load the dictation piece which is an MP3 file. I click "load" on the main screen where the ExpressScribe transcribing image is, then I get another screen where my document files are, I point to my transcription tape file, and click "Load" again. But when I go back to the main ExpressScribe page where the Welcome Tape is, my dictation tape does not appear there. I click "Play" but all I hear is "F1 Key". Can anyone help? How do you make the transcription file appear on the main page where all the dictation tapes should be? I've come this far, and this is really holding me back. AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

I just downloaded Express Scribe for the Mac half an hour ago, and couldn't load any .mp3 files from within it, but discovered that if I open two finder windows, one showing the unopened Express Scribe application and one showing my .mp3 files, I can drag an mp3 file onto the Express Scribe app and it will then appear in the app's own window! Then I have to click on that .mp3 file in Express Scribe's main window to select the .mp3 file.

I came here to see if I could find a better way, but thought I'd better share with you what I found.

I'm using a Mac, but Windows may work the same way (Microsoft did a pretty good job of duplicating the Mac desktop). ;)

(half hour later)

OK, here's the process: ES does not load individual files directly, but first must load the names of all the sound files that it finds in an entire folder. The folder must be selected in the ES "Browse Folders" window, which pops up when you click on "Load". Then you can select any listed files from that window. When you click on a file, then click on the new "Load" button of the folder browser (or the "OK" button in the Windows version), the file magically appears in the ES main window.

If you have a PC, some instructions are at a vendor site in Austria: http://www.audiotranskription.de/english/express_scribe.html (the instructions are in English, but the screenshots are from a XP installation set to German).

From the number of puzzled users posting here, I'd say you and I aren't the only ones stumped by the peculiar way ES opens files. :)

Edited by scottheath

• 1 month later...

Has anybody yet discovered the solution to this problem? I am facing the exact same issue. I received a handful of mp3 files from the same client, half open fine and the other half show the duration as 0, won't load but I can listen to them on Real Player. Help please! And I tried loading them via the window as mentioned, but I still have that problem.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm new to all this and a new Mac user. I'm having the same issue. I transcribe audio cd's. I insert them into my laptop and they load as mp3 files in i-tunes. When I load my file through the browse folders and it's in the "look in folder" section and click load, it doesn't load. Has anyone gotten a handle on this. I'm a new transcriber and pretty green at all this. What are the most popular ways of transcribing from audio cd? I'm new to the whole thing of turning the computer into a transcriber machine as well. Any luck with this situation with anyone?

Has anybody yet discovered the solution to this problem? I am facing the exact same issue. I received a handful of mp3 files from the same client, half open fine and the other half show the duration as 0, won't load but I can listen to them on Real Player. Help please! And I tried loading them via the window as mentioned, but I still have that problem.