Playback studders while editing

Ghost Rider

This has been an ongoing issue I have been dealing with from the beginning. I can only guess something about my system is not up to snuff. Today I went to Micro Center to get a better video card and was told it is likely the CPU. I don't see how I have a AMD 8 core 3.6 processor with 16g of ram.

Here are a few screenshots showing. Also what is a better way to upload pictures?

https://postimg.cc/Jy4nnm3c

https://postimg.cc/qzsMxgjx

https://postimg.cc/wtG6jNjg

You can see all 8 cores are being used at around 70% and drops to 40% when it's buffering. So I'm at a loss why this machine doesn't work better.

system.png

VP-1.png

VP2.png

Video editing is resource intensive.  Here, for years, VP ran tolerably on a system similar to yours.

Increasingly, projects began to incorporate HD or 4K files and or multiple effects. While VP caching has improved,  proxy editing proved useful.

But is was a hardware update - both CPU and GPU in the gaming-capable category - that made a significant difference.  Night and day.

Allow the green (caching) line above the timeline to complete before initiating preview operations.

I still don't understand why it doesn't work any better than it does. It's not like I'm doing anything other than trimming the ends of each file no transitions nothing but cut and remove. I got used to using it and when it buffers I quickly hit the space bar twice and I'm kind of able to keep watching it. As it is now it will buffer every few seconds so if I was doing any thing more serious it would never work.  I had set the playback video to the smallest resolutions way back when I started using it. My buddy who has a store bought complete HP computer that is half what I have but has a cheap Intel processor works fine. I think that for what it's worth this software just does not play well with AMD systems.

Thanks for trying to help me out. I'm sure my issue is my processor I could bump it up a little with a

AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor

From Amazon for $69 that's about as much as this MB will handle. That would take 3.6ghz to 4.2ghz. Probably a better improvement than the video card I tried this weekend.  

Before you dole out bucks, try proxy editing.  You may be surprised.  Depending upon where your project will be viewed, using the proxies as is may suffice for export quality.

If you need higher res, replace the proxies with the originals.

1 hour ago, borate said:

Before you dole out bucks, try proxy editing.  You may be surprised.  Depending upon where your project will be viewed, using the proxies as is may suffice for export quality.

If you need higher res, replace the proxies with the originals.

I just did a search and found this. http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26563-proxy-editing/?tab=comments#comment-67619

I'm guessing you convert all video files to a much lower resolution saving to a new folder do all your editing save the VP project file. Then replace all the lowered resolution files with the originals reopen the saved VP project and I'm just not sure of a good way to lower the resolution and what would be a good one to start with.

Running Prism now so I will let you know how this works thanks for the suggestion

Yes, that is the "sticky" at the top of this forum, which was suggested and linked earlier in this thread.  Just follow the instructions.

Conversion can be done in a number of ways, including simply exporting individual files from VP.  Here's another, using NCH Prism.

And check this out.  Be sure the proxy file names are identical to the originals, and saved to an independent folder.

I tried proxy editing and didn't seem to help at all. I ordered a FX 8350 CPU and installed it today and looks like the little bump in horse power helped a lot. The video files opened faster and watched videos for several minutes and it only buffered once so I'm thinking this problem may be fixed.