MP3 file and ID Tags

SADJ

I have WMA Files that I'm trying to convert to MP3. The WMA files have info about the song, album, year etc tagged to it, but when I convert to MP3, this info is lost.

Can anyone explain how I could convert these files and still maintain the background info on them?

• 2 weeks later...

I have WMA Files that I'm trying to convert to MP3. The WMA files have info about the song, album, year etc tagged to it, but when I convert to MP3, this info is lost.

Can anyone explain how I could convert these files and still maintain the background info on them?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A WMA file is a sound file that has been compressed in a particular manner. This compression has *nothing whatsoever* to do with the title of the song or the performing artist.

In other words, since the background information about a song relates to the song's origin, while compressing the sound file is an unrelated technical process, what you are seeking is generally impossible. You must get your background information from a source that is familiar with the origin of the recording, independent of any processing performed upon the recorded file.

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I converted some tracks from flac to mp3 format and made the same experience.

I can't agree with Guru's answer!

From my point of view if all the tag information get lost that's no "full conversion" and a major deficit of this tool.

Is this answer still valid today regarding the loss of the tags for the purchased version?

However if someone needs a solution for this weak point:

With the freeware tool "mp3tag" you can export tags e.g. to a txt file and import it to the converted sound filed.

However it takes some time to define an export and an import format if you do it for the first time ...

Regards

bigboreshooter

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using Switch for a while now & I had no problems untill now. The track names/author/album, etc were all carried over from FLAC to MP3 without any problems. I've just installed Switch on a new PC & I'm having exactly the same problem, so it would seem that this feature was there, but is somehow missing from the new install. If anyone has any clues as to what could be causing this I'd be really grateful. I keep a lot of stuff on my main PC as FLAC files, but I need to use MP3's on my laptop due to lack of disc space.

Many thanks, Alan.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I've recently moved from PC to Mac, and so I'm trying to convert my entire .WMA library of music (150+ GBs) to .MP3, and I bought the $30 version of Switch for Mac, and when it converts my .WMA files its removing all the ID3 information from the file, so iTunes doesn't know anything about my music once the .WMA is converted to .MP3, it basically sees them as just MP3s with no info other than the file name.

This is not what I paid $30 for this software for. I am going to get a refund if this is not a fixable issue.

The tool is great other than this one issue.

• 2 months later...