problem exporting video in 7.0.5 - audio out of sync

plevintampabay

When I export a 5 minute video, the resulting mp4 has the audio out of sync with the video.

When I export a 1 minute video, there's no problem.

I did not have this problem prior to being upgraded to 7.0.5.

I have downgraded to 7.0.3.  The exported mp4 is in-sync with the video.

So the problem began after 7.0.3.

• 6 months later...

Hello

I am running 7.34 Professional Edition and I am being plagued by this annoying and time consuming out of sync problem.

This occurs with original linked video and audio files. I have tried unlinking audio, adjusting then grouping all.

Still the problem exists after Export. The out of sync problems do not exist when I play the source files in VP prior to export and they play perfectly in sync with VLC and Media Player Classic prior to exporting. The problem only exhibits itself after exporting through VP 7.34

It seems that this has been a long existing problem with different VP versions going back years.

Is VP totally incapable of achieving this simple export process in sync??

I am open to helpful suggestions if anyone has any ideas please.

Although it just might be the time to upgrade to a more professional editing suite that can actually do what I have paid for it to do.

What export format?  What settings?

Though sync problems have cropped up from time to time, rarely have they been evident here - and that was a long while ago.

The best way to track this down is to let others analyze your project, just as you see it.  This isn't difficult. If it's a bug, the developers will fix it and you may receive a free license.

Here's how to share...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Borate Thank you for your suggestion BUT this is family footage which is not for sharing outside of the family. I trust that you understand this concern.

The footage was originally shot on an old VHS camera. This was subsequently converted to a DVD so is in .VOB format> I have checked and rechecked and the audio is perfectly in sync.

When I import the .VOB file onto the sequence and play it back BEFORE even editing of any sort and watch the preview in VP it is out of sync already. This is despite that the audio and video tracks are the original in sync combined single file.

Further if I then take that file and Unlink the audio then re position the audio to again sync with the video then select both audio and video tracks on the sequence and select Group Selected Clips locking them back in sync, Then Export the newly synced video it exports the finished video in out of sync????????????????

There are obviously two separate instances of the same problem here. One when the import is done and one when the export is done and both times using synced video.

This has cost me days trying to get this right as I have a lot of these videos that I am turning into .mp4 versions. Upon closer inspection a lot of the ones that I have already done are out of sync and I will have to do them again costing me more days.

This is frustrating beyond belief that I pay for what is termed a Professional editing program and it can't even keep and or produce simple clips that remain in sync??????? 

What do I do next to right this wrong please??

If you send the project link to my private email it will be viewed only by me and, if there's an issue, by a developer. Then your file will be deleted. An alternative is to upload a few minutes of a VOB source file for analysis.

To quote an earlier thread, a developer stated:  "SomeVOB files need extra information to be played correctly. Therefore you'll normally find there are other files on a DVD rather than just theVOB file."  That info isn't available if the VOB alone is loaded into VP.  This has been noted on some VHS transfers.

Two programs recorded onto DVD discs from cable TV were just tested here.  Their VOB files, 30 seconds and 5 minutes respectively, previewed and exported with dead-on sync.

What program was used to convert VHS to the DVD format?  Suggest you try converting the VOBs to Mp4, before editing in VP.  PRISM, for one, can do that.

Might not make a difference, but you can also test the latest beta VP while retaining the installer for your current version.

Please report results here.  If a bug is found you may receive a free VP license.

Hi

Using vp 7.30 I can't reproduce your synch error. Using a 30 second clip specifically shot for synching problems (a tapping pencil) a 1 minute mp4 export stayed exactly in synch. This was extended by repeatedly adding sequences together to produce a 10 minute timeline. preview (as expected) remained synchronized. The full 10 minute timeline was then exported as a 1280 x 720 mp4, The synchronization remained exact throughout the replay.

Working in a slightly different way and playing a timeline of repeated short clips the preview synchronization DID get out of step but exported OK.

Nat

19 hours ago, borate said:

Thank you Borate for your time and input.

If you send the project link to my private email it will be viewed only by me and, if there's an issue, by a developer. Then your file will be deleted. An alternative is to upload a few minutes of a VOB source file for analysis.

I may do this if we can't solve this here so thank you.

To quote an earlier thread, a developer stated:  "SomeVOB files need extra information to be played correctly. Therefore you'll normally find there are other files on a DVD rather than just theVOB file."  That info isn't available if the VOB alone is loaded into VP.  This has been noted on some VHS transfers.

I have found a temporary workaround as follows.

I re-imported the out of sync mp4 file back into VP and Unlinked the audio, re-positioned it correctly then selected GroupSelected Clips to hopefully lock the synchronization in place. 

The resultant Exported MP4 was perfect so at least that works. This is obviously nearly double the workload to arrive at what should just be one pass.

The stand alone VOB files play perfectly and in sync with VLC and Media Player Classic but VP introduces the problem with the synchronization.

I tried importing the complete Video_TS file into VP but the program rejected the IFO and BUP files accepting only the VOB files.

So this being the case it would appear that VP is unable to perform satisfactorily with stand alone VOB files yet won't accept the associated IFO and BUP files.

This is most unfortunate as the main reason I bought this software was to produce all of these MP4s from  all our video movies going back 30 years. So yes there are a lot therefore I cannot go on using the temporary workaround as described above.

I have tried doing an Uninstall/Repair on VP but the problem remains. 

What program was used to convert VHS to the DVD format?  Suggest you try converting the VOBs to Mp4, before editing in VP.  PRISM, for one, can do that.

Not sure as these were converted a few years back and yes I could use PRISM but it is introducing an extra step that should not be needed if VP was working as it should. But thanks for the suggestion.

Might not make a difference, but you can also test the latest beta VP while retaining the installer for your current version.

I may try this shortly if no other answer is forthcoming, thanks.

Hi Nat 

Using vp 7.30 I can't reproduce your synch error. Using a 30 second clip specifically shot for synching problems (a tapping pencil) a 1 minute mp4 export stayed exactly in synch

Thanks for trying that.

Was this a .VOB file to start with?

This seems to be the problem file type?

Hi Aussie

".... Was this a .VOB file to start with? ..."

No this was an Mp4 clip specifically shot to check synch problems..My test VOB files only have background sound.but I have lots of VHS copied to disc some with proper direct voice so I'll have a play with one or two of these and see what happens.

Nat

Hi

To check on your synch problem I made a 6 minute mp4 that contained many audible synch points,,,

• Loaded from the camera  to my PC the clip played absolutely correctly in VLC from start to finish without any problems.
  • Loaded to VP 7.30 the clip played absolute correctly and remained in synch all the way through.
  • From VP I exported the sequence as a DVD  Movie
  • The resulting DVD played with no problems in VLC.
  • Extracted the VOB file
  • In VLC this remained in synch until I jumped along the time bar when synch appeared out,,.but in a few seconds it automatically ajusted itself and became normal again. This may have been my PC or VLC taking a second or two to "catch up" after jumping along the time bar .Otherwise no problems
  • Loaded the VOB file to VP 7.30 and waited a short time for the green load bar to complete.This VOB clip played perfectly in synch from end to end. Even when dragging the cursor line to a point further along the timeline and releasing it the clip was in perfecty synchronized
  • Conclusion.....Couldn't find any fault here.

On the basis of this I don't think your problem lies with VP.

Nat

Nat

This VOB clip played perfectly in synch from end to end.

Thank you for going to all of that effort to assist with this problem. It is much appreciated.

I will try some other VOB files and report back.

I do not have the same sync problems with MP4s just VOBs so it seems.

If it occurs with the next set of VOBs I will try and work out how to upload both the source VOB file and the resultant MP4 file as per Borate's request above.

Hi all

Would that behave in the same way? I am sure you would simply end up with an out of synch avi or mp4. (if the VOB was out of synch in VP) 

Probably the best way would be to export a short  in-synch clip to a DVD disc ,check the disc clip is still OK and if so,  reload the VOB from the disc to VP. Check if it IS now out of synch  and if so post the VOB from the disc. In that way we would get the VOB ourselves to check out. It would be easy then to see if VP is at fault

Nat

Guys I have the Video_TS files on the dvd disc and the VOB files within.

So I go to back to my earlier question how do I cut a small section out of a VOB to just send you that without including the entire original VOB?

Then I will send the resultant out of sync mp4 for comparison as well.

But I must reiterate that these in question VOB files play back perfectly in sync in every program that I try them in EXCEPT VideoPad Professional.

I acknowledge that I can see the actual problem playing out in front of me for many days now and that you cannot at the moment. Therefore I understand your reluctance to accept that what I am saying is actually correct.

Whilst we are trying to sort this out I have reloaded a few of the 40 or so short MP4 videos that I have produced then Unlinked them and manually re synced them, then Grouped all the clips and Re Exported them to MP4 and the results are that they are then in sync. But obviously this is tedious and doubles the time required to end up with an in sync video.

No one denies what you are seeing, which is likely due to the VHS--->DVD transfer.

But to see it here a source VOB is needed.  The encoding may change if you simply split out a portion and delete the rest, exporting it as a VOB, so that would defeat the purpose,, though you could certainly try that. to see if the segment remaining exhibits the issue..

Upload an entire file in a private message (PM) to me, please - regardless of its size.

No one denies what you are seeing, which is likely due to the VHS--->DVD transfer.

Borate 

If this really was the case then how is is that ALL other video playback software apps have played the VOB correctly in sync EXCEPT VideoPad Professional.

I am a novice at all this so please explain to me how that is even plausible and or possible that the VOB is at fault when the 'problem' is only ever a 'problem' when it is opened in VideoPad Professional??????? This is the part that I struggle to understand.

I have sent you some sample files for your perusal. Thank you

Hi all

I've been checking this a bit more and reloaded VP 7.34

• Loaded a 6 minute  in synch mp4 with numerous audible reference points. This played perfectly in VP 7.34
  • Exported this to DVD Movie disc.  This was out of synch when played with Windows Media Player and even worse when played in VLC,
  • Extracted the VOB from the disc. Played in VLC the audio was around 1/4 second in front of the visuals and worse towards the end of the 6 min clip.
  • Loaded and played the VOB  in VP 7.34  Similar problem made worse if the preview screen was enlarged.

This seems to confirm  AW finding,,,,,7.34 is out of synch with VP and exported mp4.  For me VP 7.30 was OK  and I have repeated the test with 7.39 and that also seems OK.

Later... Just reloaded 7.39 and played the mp4 ....It seemed OK

Played the VOB  from the DVD created with VP 7.34.  With the preview screen expanded it was out of synch.! ..

Nat

Thank you to both of you guys, you have both been very helpful with this.

As a novice user of VideoPad when a problem like this arises the user, me in this case spends countless hours that run into days trying to figure out what the actual problem is. All the time doubting ones self and thinking that I must be doing something wrong and that I just can't see what it is that I am doing wrong. 

But after testing the VOBs in the other programs I became convinced that it was not something that I was doing or not doing but a problem or a bug in the VideoPad program which is very disappointing to say the least due to the time I have wasted. 

I have downloaded 7.39 and will experiment with this version and report back here in due course.

Have you reported this bug to NCH or should I do that and if so how do I do that please?

Once again I am grateful to both of you guys/girls for your assistance.

Regards

Wayne

Thanks for supplying a source VOB.  This appears to be a regression bug that applies to only some VOB files.  We were able to reproduce the fault, which was once fixed but popped up again in recent versions.  The developers are aware of it and for your efforts you may receive a free license.

Install this 7.02 version of Videopad, where your file is in sync.

Your registration may not be good for that version.  If that's the case, and a desired mp4 export balks, try AVI.   Reports results here, please.

Hmmmm a quick try loading that same VOB file into the new 7.39 gives the exact same result. Not synced, I guess this means that even the new version has the same bug?

Big shame considering this was the main reason I bought this for!

I guess I will have to try your suggestion Borate using 7.02 but I note that it seems to be released way back in February so not sure what else it might be missing?

Not sure about the licence for the Professional version of 7.02 until I try.

Regards

Wayne

Version 7.11, released a few months back, also seems fine.  Incremental changes and improvements occur in the versions, so you will find that they are not that different in most respects.  When the issue is addressed in the latest version a personal message will be sent to you.