DVDs written with Express Burn don't play on a DVD player

Dave Rado

I've just created my first DVD using Express Burn, by selecting Video DVD, clicking Add File, adding a menu and then clicking Burn Video to DVD. The resulting DVD plays okay on my PC's DVD ROM drive, but not on my DVD Player (i.e. not on my standalone DVD player that is attached to my television.) DVDs written with other DVD burning software do play fine on my DVD player. Any idea what could be going wrong?

Dave

PS - I'm posting this reply just so that I can turn on "Notify me of replies" because it was switched off by default and I didn't notice that until I'd clicked the Submit button - and I couldn't see any way to change that setting other than  by replying to my own post.

I've just tried converting the MP4 to a DVD without using a menu and I get exactly the same problem.

I've also tried converting the MP4 to an ISO file and then using different burning software to burn the ISO file to the DVD - but again I get exactly the same problem.

And yet if I convert the same MP4 file to DVD using a different software package, it plays perfectly on my DVD player.

So how can I fix this problem with Express Burn?

• 1 month later...

I added a vob file (converted from mp4) and clicked Burn to DVD. It goes through the processes, confirms success, yet DVD visually appears it has no data written on it and it fails to play on my dvd player. I was not surprised.

Why should it report a successful burn yet nothing is on the dvd? 

You can try doing this:

-Try burning at lower speeds (Highly effective).

-Try using different brands of quality blank media like Taiyo Yuden, or Sony.

-Try upgrading your writer's firmware.

Also trying to reinstall again the program and add again the files. If you still getting problems, My best recommendation is summit a Ticket so the Developer Team can check the information. You can summit it on https://www.nch.com.au/support/

• 7 months later...

Same issue, I suppose. What is the solution?

Using the free download. For non-commercial home video. Opened programme. Clicked to make Video DVD. Added various MP4 files. Selected Standard 4:3 tv, selected Video settings PAL, High Quality, 'use internal codec. Created menu, burnt disc, added ISO. The DVD +R disc can read the files and play them through PC. I actually wanted to play them through DVD player on the TV, but that just says "Reading" and then stops. Doesn't play on PAL tv. What am I doing wrong?

For support it says I have to buy the product. Well, Why would I do that if I can't even get the free download to work?

• 1 month later...

I have just bought Express Burn. The burnt DVD can be played on my PC, but also on my stand alone Bluray device, but not on my normal DVD. The normal DVD just shows the menu of the disc, but when I try to play a video it just stops. The DVD is burnt as a normal DVD (not Bluray). I have wasted some DVDs testing different options as DVD-R and DVD+R, slow burning speed and fast burning speed. I have also burnt DVDs with MPEG4 files as input but also with MPEG2 as input. Nothing works. My normal DVD is about 10 years old, but it has no problems playing commercial DVDs, old as well as new.

sams issue, I have an LG burner and their support group told me to download burn, I thought it may work but when I hit burn DVD it only gives me an option to burn an image. I've been up all night and it's getting very frustrating. Any answers here would  be appreciated. I successfully added the video. Is the green bar at the bottom supposed to be all the way over?

I have made an observation!

When I burn the DVD using Pinnacle 22 MyDVD with the same files as for Express Burn, the result occupies double the size on the DVD, but works fine in my old DVD Player.

It seems like Express Burn does not convert the MPEG4 input files to the standard DVD Video format(MPEG2). That would explain why it only works on my new DVD player. I cannot find any options to make Express Burn do this conversion.

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 6:52 PM, LindGM said:

I have made an observation!

When I burn the DVD using Pinnacle 22 MyDVD with the same files as for Express Burn, the result occupies double the size on the DVD, but works fine in my old DVD Player.

It seems like Express Burn does not convert the MPEG4 input files to the standard DVD Video format(MPEG2). That would explain why it only works on my new DVD player. I cannot find any options to make Express Burn do this conversion.

I have the same problem. DVD will not play in my DVD player. When I burn with Freemake it works. Where is the option to use MPEG2 format