New version 7.05 broke text scrolling!

plevintampabay

I was running a prior version that had worked for me for a few months now.

Today when I tried to export the video file, Videopad crashed, which I have seen before.

But today, it wanted me to upgrade to the latest (7.05) version.  After doing so, my file exported fine. Thank you.

HOWEVER, my next video to edit has scrolling text - right to left.

It now scrolls left to right.  Selecting that setting, and the text scrolls bottom to top.  This is completely broken!!

So thank you for the upgrade, but....

I restored my backup of your directory in Windows/Program(x86)  and I restored my backup of my project.  When I ran videopad, it crashed.

So I had to put the latest version 7.05 back in place.

If I run an older version of Videopad with my current projects, will it say the project has an invalid version number?

Hi

"...If I run an older version of Videopad with my current projects, will it say the project has an invalid version number? ..."

Normally, unless you run a VERY old version of VP your projects should load OK.

Scrolling......

T-B    does  T-B

B-T   does  T-B.....Oops!

L-R   does  B-T.....Oops!

R-L  does R-L

Nat

Thanks for reporting this issue, we have already fixed it locally.  We'll get a new release out soon when some other new bugs are fixed too.

Answering the question about loading newer project files into older versions of VideoPad, there is a notion of a 'project file version' that we maintain. As long as two versions of VideoPad have the same 'project file version', the older version can try to load newer version's project. If the project file versions do not match then VideoPad does not even attempt to load the project and displays an error. The reason is that some versions of VideoPad project files are so drastically different that it makes no sense for the older version to try to interpret the data that the newer version has encoded. The last time we incremented this internal project file number was with the release of v7.01, which had some significant changes as to the way that 'in' and 'out' points were stored. 

Pretty much, any project created with a version number equal to or greater than v7.01 will not load in any version equal to or less than v7.00.

Hi

Thanks for that info Jimmy....so the cut-off point is 7.01.  Seems I will have to reload some earlier versions of VP if I ever need to re-edit some of my older projects. I know there was a similar change some time ago when the .vpj started using numbered clips but hadn't realized this much later point.

Nat

Hi Jimmy, Thank you very much for this info.

Did you see the part where I said I replaced everything in your folder in Programs(x86) with the files that were there just before your latest update to 7.0.5.  I do not know what version that was. When I ran that program with the latest project file, it said it was not a valid version number and I needed to get the latest version of the program.  Then I replaced the project file with a version that was working with the older program.  When I ran the older program with the older project, the program crashed and wanted to report the crash.

Frankly I do not want to mess around with older versions.  Since the problem has already been fixed, do you have a date for the release of this fix?

Thanks

@plevintampabay

My only guess regarding your crash is that when you ran the old version it read some cache files generated by the newer version (stored somewhere in your AppData folder). Cache files are not required to be compatible between different versions of VideoPad and may result in a crash if there is a mis-match. This is why we delete all cache files on install or re-install. So trying to revert to an older version by replacing the Program Files (x86) files probably wouldn't work perfectly.

We can't give you an exact release date, the decision to release lies with the testers. But I'd say with a bit of luck we can get a new release this week. 😃

Ok, I understand the situation.

I thought you had given a link in this thread for me to download an older version of the code.  I'm not find that now.

Can you give me a link to get an older version of VideoPad. What version do you recommend?  Anything before the text scroll broke. Also must be 7.0.1 for better since that is when you changed the file version.