Getting a movie to fit on a BD25 disc

Ghost Rider

This has been an issue learned about last year and have been unable to solve. Most of what I use this for is GoPro mountain bike videos. Yesterday I filmed what ended up being 1:45 minute video (1 hour 45min) Videopad processed it into a 37g BD movie. I have used BDrebuilder (BDRB) to reencode movies to fit on a BD25 or BD5 disc. The process works except the audio has around a 20 second delay, this happens every time. There is something peculiar about how videopad's BD movies are made there seems to be a difference I can't say what it is and don't use it enough to figure it out.

So I'm looking for another way to get movie size down to a format I can afford to share with others. Or a different way to process my movies to make them fit on a smaller disc that anyone can play.

1 hour ago, borate said:

If you can tolerate a standard DVD (not BluRay), then the old DVD Shrink utility may do the job for you.  It's free. If payment is asked, it's a fake.

If I process it to a DVD in VP it works but a big loss in quality.

1 hour ago, TECH Support said:

I opened one but I don't know if they will think it is their issue the plays fine before use BDRB. Are there other audio sync issues?

44 minutes ago, borate said:

And you did export it as a BR Movie?

Yes.

I downloaded Power Director 17 for demo and it seems to have worked. It produced it small enough to fit on a reg BD25 disc. I am presently running BDRB to size down to a BD5 (4+g) I would prefer VP. I just like it better. Maybe there is a way to do what Cyberlink calls a smart fit that will format it to fit on a BD25 disc.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if I should start a new thread. Trying to figure a way to make my videos. I have been demoing Cyberlink Power director software. It will process videos that I can use BDRB to shrink it down to fit on a reg DVD(BD5) but I hate how the software works. VideoPad has worked better except that if I shrink it down the audio becomes way out of sync.

So today I was being optimistic that possibly there would be a update and there was 7.05 so I went and installed the update only to find out that it was no update but a upgrade requiring a new purchase.  Lucky for me I was able to find my original download file v5.20 and reinstall that.

I tried 7.05 but could not process the video to a BD movie to see if this version would work and I am not buying it again if I'm not sure it will work. Although I like this software it has been a little glitchy for me the 1st was when I could not figure out why a video longer than 2 hours would freeze up after 2 hours+. I figured out that if I processed it in windows 10 it worked. So is there a way to fully test and save the finished movie to a BD movie ISO?

Most issues that you experienced earlier have been remedied.  Not to say that new ones don't crop up. ^_^

Upgrades are free for up to a half-year after purchase.

Tested the creation of a one-minute Blu-Ray movie ISO here, using version 7.10.  No sync problem.  Whether the shrink program would maintain that is unknown.

Thanks for the test ISO i'm not sure if I will be able to conclude if it will work I will check it out tomorrow.

A suggestion, when you have a upgrade let it be known before you download and install it that it's a paid upgrade not a software update. If it was there I didn't see it.

Recollect seeing a prompt to the effect that the newer version may exact a fee for registration.   Yet, in any case, older versions are always available.

On your PC they may be stored in this path:   "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad"

18 hours ago, borate said:

Recollect seeing a prompt to the effect that the newer version may exact a fee for registration.   Yet, in any case, older versions are always available.

On your PC they may be stored in this path:   "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad"

Thanks I didn't see how to access the old versions but I had the install file from when I originally installed it. This would be asking a lot but is there a copy-right free BD movie longer than 1 min you could post. Seems like audio sync issues are frequent with this software although my issue is likely different than the others.

1 hour ago, borate said:

Look here.

I'm downloading one of those but I what I was hoping for is for you to download and process it in 7.10 and upload that so I can see if by shrinking it down the audio stays synced. I could upload it to you in dropbox or wetransfer.

I had another idea I could see if a one minute BD movie using the 5.20 goes out of sync and compare it to your one minute movie you used 7.10 on.

1 hour ago, borate said:

We'll take a look.  But, as it is already a Blu-Ray movie, what processing did you intend in VP?  The one-minute sample provided earlier was a standard-def file exported as a BD movie.

Here's the thing, if you look back through you will see that I use VP to process gopro mountainbike videos but if I make a 2.5 to 3 hour movie VP will produce a BD movie 40+gigs and that would require a BD50 blank disc and they are a bit expensive. BDRB will make it fit on a cheaper BD25 and BD9 or even BD5 (reg DVD) I don't think running a 1 minute through BDRB would require a encode so it would just create a new file.

Perhaps a water-marked full use use version but doubt that is possible.

I tried to open the video you uploaded I got this error.

https://postimg.cc/9rcKtJWm

Untitled2.png

Untitled2.png

To really make the test accurate I used a backup BD movie file because it is more difficult to hear the audio sync on mountain bike videos. I processed it in VP 5.20 and then BDRB shrinking a 20g file to 7.6g The audio was off a little at the beginning but it was way way off at the end. It was impossible to tell how much minutes for sure.

For what it's worth the video looked great so neither VP or BDRB harmed the quality at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay made some headway here.  posted up on another forum and was suggested to check if the final Videopad file was a variable video frame rate and use Handbrake to convert it. So I tried it and it worked. I'm not completely sure what that means but for the 1st time I could take a BD movie processed in VP shrink it down in BDRB and the audio stayed in-sync.

If there was a way to set VP to a fixed frame rate might totally solve my issue.