Missing/frozen frames after splitting

ageo

Hi, I made an account here to ask for help with a problem I'm having just now,

I've been using Videopad a while now and I haven't had any issues, but just yesterday I noticed that whenever I split a video, even if there is no transition at all, Videopad decides to freeze the last frame of the previous clip for a second of so into the next one, eating away what was there already.

- If I delete the previous clip (which is what I want, trimming the video) it plays normally only in the Clip Preview on the right, if I click on the actual "Preview" button above, there are missing frames, even if the audio plays normally.

- If I leave both clips just with the split in between, when I open the Preview window it 'crashes' (just stutters a bit and pauses, not the program) at the moment of the transition, stops playback and won't go on even if I click Play again.

- If I export, the same missing frames happen!

- Now! If I make a screenshot at the time there should be something from the second clip and IT SHOWS in the Clip Preview, the screenshot itself also shows the frozen frame from before that should not be there!!

I found this to topic that has the same problem I believe: http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/22296-a-completely-blackblank-frame-in-between-two-different-clips/

But there was no definitive solution. I tried clearing the cache,, creating a new project, using other clips, splitting multiple times... Everything but reinstalling the program! As far as I know, I'm already at the latest version. I haven't tweaked any options before this started occurring.

What is going on? I've been doing the same exact thing and it always worked, why is it now wonky all of a sudden? It's so frustratingly dumb, until I find a solution I can't keep working on editing my videos... It's not a recording issue, because I edited my other videos just fine and were recorded the same way. I'm now used to Videopad and quite like it actually, so I don't want to get another editor! Could someone please help me? Thanks in advance.😓

Odd.  The thread you referenced is several years old and many improvements have been made since then.  Here is the latest version.  Save your project, for protection.

The program can be installed over the old.  However, if you want to rid the PC of most all traces prior to a new install, use this tool.  Take care to not delete anything that isn't VP related.

Thank you for the reply! I did what you suggested and reinstalled Videopad with the link you provided. It looks a little bit different now I think, better and cleaner somehow! It has different button layouts and a blue colour on the time bar, so maybe I wasn't in the latest version after all.

However, the problem persists... In this version there is no "Preview" button above (I can't find it at least) but it still gets rid of some frames at the start of clip 2 when I playback. If I screenshot, the same thing happens, even if I see what should be there in the Sequence preview on the right, the resulting screenshot is still frozen from before.

NEW INFO: I tried exporting now and the missing frames appear but very glitched! That makes me think it has to do with the Split function that isn't splitting correctly. I also tried making 6 splits in a 1 minute video as a test and the glitch occurs on the first split at the very beginning of the video, and the subsequent splits seem to be okay. Even if I put a blank clip before the first clip starts, it still glitches the first frames.

Odd indeed! I'm very puzzled myself. As I said, it worked perfectly until now, maybe I inadvertently changed a setting I wasn't supposed to?

I see, I apologise but the videos I edit have friends and family, and I wouldn't be comfortable sharing them. Anyways, I did try to replicate the issue with the Windows Wildlife sample video and I couldn't, it went all smoothly.

So could it be the video's fault after all? But the previous ones I edited were recorder the exact same way and had no problem... Is there any way I can test if the video is ok? Thank you again!

Thank you! Borate also said something along those lines.

I discovered that exporting the video untouched with Videopad to a mkv solves all the problems, but I will also have that Prism program you mentioned just in case! Thank you all for your quick support.

Congratulations on Videopad by the way, after Movie Maker disappeared, it's the only one I could get used to. It's very accessible for someone not to tech savvy like me.