7.01 - Fault with Speed Change

Ivan187

Fatal flaw with VideoPad's version 7.01.

Let's say you have this clip with the In point at 10:00, and the Out point at 11:00.

Then you change the clip speed to 500%. The In point should now be at 2:00, and the Out point is now at 2:12.

And... that's all that happens. Changing the speed of the clip literally just shifts the In and Out points to another position inside of the same clip that's at 100% speed, but it doesn't actually CHANGE THE SPEED of the clip. On the preview, you will see a completely different part of the clip instead.

I open the Speed Change dialog again, and the speed appears to be 500%, but the duration appears to have been sped up to 500% again (as if the resulting twelve seconds was sped up 500% again, thus showing "2.400"). Yeah, I don't know what that's all about, but it's really weird.

I might have to go back to 7.00 until this gets fixed.

By the way, I should also point out that the clip came out properly sped up in the exported file. Maybe it's because I singled it out from the whole project that I was working on when I found this bug, but I don't wanna risk exporting it all and then have to do it over again because the bug slipped by. :/

Confirmed, something seems to be wrong with the preview. I tried version 6.30, 7.01 an 7.02, version 6.30 worked perfectly and with versions 7.01 and 7.02 the preview was just black. However, the clip was speed up (audio played very fast). Then I tried to save the little project, closed and reopened VideoPad and loaded the project. Now the preview was black and the audio was like muted, I couldnd't hear anything.

My test conditions: I took a random .mp4 clip that was 3:15.820 long and dropped it into the timeline four times in sequence 1. Then I created a new sequence 2, dropped in sequence 1, set the in/out point to 11:00/12:00 and the clip speed to 500%.

I have to admit that speed change is still problematic. We just started some serious work (take months) and hopefully get this problem fixed permanently.

At the moment, speed change must be used with care, especially with In/Out points and reverse. Most of problems related to speed change are preview only though.

Well, I exported my whole project containing the sped up clips, and everything turned out fine. But it throws me off when I oversee unwanted behavior from the software even if it's only on the preview. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 3:30 AM, stellium7 said:

Has this issue been resolved? When I speed up video clips to 500% speed, it just shortens the clip to 1/5 the length but with normal speed... very frustrating! (I have a paid version)

The issue is resolved as of version 7.03.