File import stops at 4.07.314

Mike Nomic

I'm trying to use the free version of videpoad 7.00, and any .avi files that I import only load to 04.07.314 (4 minutes 7-ish seconds).

They worked fine in WMM, but recent updates to Windows 10 have disabled that, so I'm looking for a new editing suite.

Videopad appears to fit the bill for my simple needs, except for this issue, previously discussed here: -

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/22347-video-clip-length

Help, please.

OK, I've shot a video and created a file. I'm not familiar with the procedures outlined in your linked 'tips' message.

The file is 46m 44s long, but when I import it into videopad, hey presto, the import stops at 4.07.314.

Please let me know, keystroke by keystroke, how to upload this file, and which version you want - the full one or

the truncated version.

Thanks.

Please upload the full single file to a free server such as Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive or the like.  You may have to create an account.

Then make it public (share it).  Paste that public link here, so someone can access it and download the file.

The .wmv version loads fully.

I'd already found this by testing a .wmv file almost identical to one of the many .avi files that won't load.

However, for example, the .avi test file that I sent is 9.42Gb, and the .wmv version that you have returned is only 780Mb,

and I'm concerned about loss of quality, clarity, etc doing this. I'd rather edit the original file and convert at the end,

or when uploading as another format in order to retain the quality of the original file.

Mike, eyeing the source material it appears there would be little degradation in going with the WMV file.  Looks good here on a 24-inch monitor.   But, that's subjective of course.

Using the WMV as a proxy is an approach that would allow you to get busy with editing while the issue is addressed.  Here's how that works...

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/26563-proxy-editing/

No guarantees, but it should succeed.  If not, it should at the least result in a usable production.

You can edit the WMV, then export in any suitable format for your WEB presentation.

Or, later, if the AVI import issue is corrected, it should be possible to replace the WMV with the original file, per the Proxy instructions, and export that result.

Again, no guarantees.^_^

OK, after several attempts, I've done that. The soundtrack works fine, although appears far longer than the video (1:10:06 against 0:46:44).

What's the next stage? I don't feel I can create mp3 files for all my unedited videos; there are 300+ hours of raw footage.