Two equalizer problems (VideoPad version 7.01 beta)

Dangerfreak

I discovered the following two problems with the audio effect "equalizer" (VideoPad version 7.01 beta):

1. Put any video clip into the timeline
2. Click on "FX" (audio track) and add "Equalizer"
3. Configure the equalizer, and change the graph (don't leave it flat).
4. Problem #1: Try to "Save Preset" - no matter which name you enter, you always get the error "You are not allowed to have a user preset name {your name} same as VideoPad's given preset name". You can't save it.
5. Continue with "Apply"
6. Now split the video clip (e.g. using key "l") into two clips
7. Click on "FX" (audio track) of the second clip and then on "Configue Equalizer". 
8. Problem #2: The graph is flat! Splitting the clip seems to reset the graph for the second half of the clip.

Can you confirm these problems?

Problem #2 looks like something that can be improved upon. However, I was able to create two of my own presets without any problem. I'll take a look at the relevant code and see if there's anything obviously wrong, maybe I just didn't trigger the bug somehow.

Tested on current development version (v7.01)

image.png

27 minutes ago, JimmyRustle said:

Tried again a few times and no issue. Borate couldn't replicate it either. 

Unrelated, but in your screenshot it has the German word 'Fehler' while everything else is in English. Surprising.

I finally found "Fehler"!  Took a while. Was like a game of Where's Waldo?

To pinpoint and solve my problem, I need your help please! 

I guess, something might be wrong with the paths of my videopad version, that's why I ask you to do me this favour: Save any equalizer preset and then please search for the file, where it is saved to (maybe even in the registry?). If you can find it, please tell me the path and the file name of it.

Many thanks for your help!

Finally I "solved" the problem. I found the program location, where the error message is thrown. I slightly changed the code at this location and now it works! See this screenshot:

VideoPad 7.01 Equalizer Fix

I also could locate, where the preset is saved to, it is in the windows registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NCH Software\VideoPad\EffectPresets\Equalizer]
"PresetCount"="1"
"0"="MyTestPreset"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NCH Software\VideoPad\EffectPresets\Equalizer\MyTestPreset]
"EQDisplay"="0"
"PointsX_Count"="6"
"PointsX_0"="10036"
"PointsX_1"="359411"
"PointsX_2"="5605882"
"PointsX_3"="5605882"
"PointsX_4"="13882352"
"PointsX_5"="20000000"
"PointsY_Count"="6"
"PointsY_0"="0"
"PointsY_1"="-31000"
"PointsY_2"="-14000"
"PointsY_3"="19000"
"PointsY_4"="-10000"
"PointsY_5"="0"

So what does that all mean? In my opinion, there must be a bug in videopad, because everything works well with my fix. The error message is thrown under certain circumstances (I can't tell which), but it must be wrong, because as you can see, it works by just skipping the error message...

Good sleuthing.  The underlying puzzlement:  Why do preset saves not work for you when they do for others?

Where did you get VP 7.01?  Though it had been listed on the pre-release channel, 7.0 was vended, according to the installer header.

You have programming knowledge;  how did you determine what specific changes were needed?

1 hour ago, borate said:

Good sleuthing.

1.  Where did you get VP 7.01?  Though it had been listed on the pre-release channel, 7.0 was vended, according to the installer header.

2.  Why do preset saves work for others but not for you (prior to the fix)?

3.  You have programming knowledge;  how did you determine what specific changes were needed?

1.: It was on the beta version website https://www.nchsoftware.com/beta/ . The headline was "VideoPad Version 7.01 for windows", the installer shows 7.00 for me as well.

2.: No idea. The obvious fact is, that videopad "thinks", all given names are already occupied by its own presets. In my opinion, there must be a little bug somewhere in the name validation.

3.: It was just a guess - I thought it might be worth a try to skip the name validation. I found the location by the error message. It seems my guess was quite right 😉 .

Hi

The error message in question appears if you have entered or try to enter a preset name that matches one of the listed  NCH presets.  For example it should come up  if you enter Select Preset  or Notch .  You may be right in suggesting that this verification step is faulty and adding a jump to the code bypasses it but at the same time it presumably allows you to now enter a listed name without a warning message. Which could cause problems. Have you checked on this?

The main question is why does your version have this bug when 7.0 works correctly here and 7.01 works correctly for others?

Nat

Well, I'm not one of the programmers of videopad, which means I don't have the source code, so I don't know what could be wrong with the name validation. I just can say, that it doesn't work for me and I don't think the reason is my computer, because I have several windows computers (windows 10 pro, 64 bit, german), at home and in my office, and it doesn't work on all of them, I always get the same error. Because I have admin rights on all of them (lowest security settings), no security software (except windows defender/firewall, don't blame me for that 😄 ), this also can't be the reason.

You are right, by skipping the validation I probably could overwrite the original presets and cause some trouble - and I don't really want to try that, sorry 😉 .

Followup #2: I uninstalled videopad and cleaned the registry manually after that. I also deleted the temp folder and the "NCH Software" folder in AppData/Roaming to remove all traces and settings. Then I reinstalled videopad - and still I can't save the my own equalizer presets, same error message. It only works on one of my computers and I don't see a difference... I really would be very glad if the programmers would have a look at the name validation...