Reduce maximum amplidute without affecting sub-max sounds?

stebbinsd

When I'm choosing background music to use in my videos, the songs will often have varying levels of amplitude. However, I need my background music to be relatively stable throughout video. I don't want the music so loud that it overshadows my voice or sound effects, but I also don't want the low points in the music to be so soft that the audience can't hear the music at all.

Is there a way for me to reduce the maximum amplitude of my audio track to a certain maximum decibel level without affecting any audio that was already beneath that decibel level to begin with?

Also, is there a way for me to do the opposite? To amplify portions of the audio track that are below a certain minimum decibel range, to bring them up to the minimum, without touching any audio that's already above that decibel level to begin with?

Perhaps I could put those two effects together to ensure that my audio tracks are always within a certain decibel range.

Here's the company's statement...

Get it Free. The free audio editor is available for non-commercial use only. WavePad free audio editing software does not expire and includes many of the features of the master’s version. If you are using it at home, you can download the free music editing software here. You can always upgrade to the master’s edition at a later time, which has additional effects and features for the serious sound engineer.

Hi

http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/effects_audioeffects.html

You can also manually set the volume levels along a sound clip in Clip preview. Grab the blue line at any point and drag it up or down to increase or decrease the volume by creating keyframe points. In the Compressor effects option you can set the maximum dB level using the threshhold control.

Nat