"Try Express Burn" no thanks

FyreWyngz

I've searched through this forum for help regarding exporting to DVD and I've found "Try Express Burn" posted as an answer in several places. This doesn't help me. I want the software that I paid for to do what it says it can do! I have VPPro v6.1 running on Windows 7 Pro. I export to DVD like this:

Export Video > DVD Movie Disc > Choose Disc Settings > Burner: G:\ > Video Format: NTSC > Video Aspect Ratio: Wide Screen (16:9) > Click Create button > Burn Video DVD dialogue box launches > Burner Drive: G:\ > Write Speed: [MAX] > Copies to burn: 5 > Verify burned content is correct after burning is checked > Name of the Disc: Disc 1 > Click Burn button > Click Create Menu button > Load template > Click Save Menu button > Click Use bookmarks as chapters

The Encoding Title dialog box fires and it takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes to process my 1 hour 3 minutes project. It displays 100% Complete then goes into Writing to Disc VTS_01_1.VOB

My first 3 attempts failed. After all of the above, VPPro began writing to the disc only to fail within minutes with this error message:

“Failed to create your DVD. Error with the write address.”

Today I tried again and I had success! My first DVD was burned and I was prompted for another. I inserted a second disc and it burned, too! I was prompted for another and I inserted a third. This one failed. It stopped writing and threw the error message above. The annoying thing is that after that fail, the process had to be re-started.

What gives?

I’m using brand new Sony 4.7GB DVD+R. When I check the discs for errors – I can’t find any. I’ve spent about 6 hours trying to burn and all I have to show for it are two DVD’s. TWO!

I’m unable to accept “Try Express Burn”! Can anyone explain why VPPro isn’t consistently burning? I was so thrilled to have a software that could “do it all” but now I’m inclined to scrap it and buy something else!

Understandably frustrating.  Though they may not be related to the issue, it won't hurt to try these measures...

Be certain that there is ample free drive space.  Try a DVD-R disk.  And, prior to export, Clear Unused Cache Files, under OPTIONS|DISK tab.

If the project were not as lengthy it might be uploaded to a server and linked here, for review.  Still, should you care to attempt it, that's accomplished this way, ...

1.  With the project on the timeline, click the FILE menu.  Then SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS.  Save to any convenient folder.

2.  Open the folder that contains the saved files and ZIP them all.

3.  Upload the zip file to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.  It's free.

4.  Make the uploaded file public (share it) and copy the shared link.

5.  Paste the link into this forum.

Thanks for the response, borate. I just went through the process again prior to reading your response. One disc burned OK but then my next one crashed. I'm trying again but cleared the cache first. 8GB were cleared. I'm working off a 2TB drive that has 1.5TB available so I doubt that drive space is a problem. I'm curious about DVD+R versus DVD-R. Could you tell me why DVD-R might be more successful? I'm also curious about your "lengthy" comment. My original project was 2 hours 30 minutes. I cut it down in order to fit on 4.7GB discs as I have over 200 blanks! If my project of 1 hour 3 minutes is considered lengthy - what is the max project size? Lastly, how is it that there isn't clarity on this error? I've seen many people having trouble with it. What info can I provide to help clarify for users?

Regarding uploading my project - I'm unable to do that. It's a collection of video from a family vacation and I'm uneasy about providing access to personal info like this.

"Lengthy" was in reference to upload time and server capacity, not to VP's capabilities.  If you feel comfortable sharing the material with me, personally, send a link in a personal message in lieu of posting to this forum.  Your film won't be shared, but I will test it if possible.

DVD-R may be worth a try even though your optical devices likely support both + and - formats.  You can also test by creating an ISO file, or burning to a DVD-RW disk, which is rewritable.

Well, my attempt after clearing the cache burned one DVD but then the verification process crashed. I checked the DVD and the movie burned however playback was plagued with freezes that began about 30 seconds into it. It was like this on my PC with Media Player but wouldn't even load on my DVD player.

I'm up to 9 hours of trying to burn and have only 3 DVD's that load and play without issue. The DVD's that I've successfully burned were created with 8GB in the cache. The one DVD that failed to verify was burned with the cache cleared. This tells me it's not the DVD+R discs nor the cache nor anything about my project file. I'm not encouraged to test anything further.

Thanks for clarifying what was meant by "lengthy". Considering everything, I'm also not encouraged to send my project file. If there was something about it that causes issues then I'm wondering how I have 3 viable discs. Could you please tell me what you might expect to find in the project that will help understand all of this?

At this point, I'm considering a refund. Or if Express Burn is the only answer - I'm wondering if NCH will provide a free copy?

That's a shame.  You might try burning an ISO, which is a DVD image.  That will play directly in Windows 10, but in 7 you may have to use a utility like 7Zip to extract the VOB file, which should render in most video players.  If that is successful, it hints that the problem is not in the creation of the DVD itself but in the burning process.  In that case, a DVD-R or RW test might be enightening.

Another approach would be to export the file as VIDEO, perhaps mp4, then input that file to VP and attempt to burn it, or burn it with other software.  If all else fails, click here.

Thanks for your continued engagement.

I'm curious about the shame comment. Are you referring to my considering a refund?

When you say "video players" do you mean computer-based players like Media Player or do you mean DVD disc players? If you mean the former then this won't help me. My goal is to create DVD's with chapters to play in DVD disc players.

My project actually consists of one mp4 file that was created by exporting a project with VP.

I'm inclined to try a DVD-R disc however considering everything I've posted here - I have serious doubts that this is a resolution. I'll give it a whirl and let you know.

I'm curious about the shame comment. Are you referring to my considering a refund?

No, it's a shame that you are having issues.  You might try a slower burn speed.

When you say "video players" do you mean computer-based players like Media Player or do you mean DVD disc players? If you mean the former then this won't help me. My goal is to create DVD's with chapters to play in DVD disc players.

With appropriate software, such as Express Burn, an ISO can be used to burn a DVD for standalone as well as PC-based players.

I'm inclined to try a DVD-R disc...

Worth a try.  In my experience, they are more forgiving and compatible with some burners, though both are valid standards.

If you have not run across it already, check out this lengthy thread.   Good luck!

Hi

Have you tried going through the steps you describe in your post but not asking for  multiple copies? i.e. just leave the default. When finished and verified VP will ask if you want another copy anyway. I have just copied a short project with menu repeatedly onto the same DVD+RW disc, verified and checked for playing correctly in VLC. after each burn. Being an RW disc VP erased it before each burn. All five repeats played OK. Did not set 5 copies but replied yes to a repeat when asked.

Nat

17 hours ago, borate said:

With appropriate software, such as Express Burn, an ISO can be used to burn a DVD for standalone as well as PC-based players.

If you have not run across it already, check out this lengthy thread.   Good luck!

I had the understanding that VP IS an appropriate software! I'm confused. Express Burn is a "verified" solution and VP is a verified problem. How is it that NCH has yet to resolve VP given this info?

Yes, I had previously found that other thread.

Thanks for the luck but what I really need is a software to do what it advertises. It obviously CAN as I have 3 discs successfully burned. I appreciate all of the "try this" and "try that" stuff but I'm wondering if you can see why I'm frustrated? I'm wondering if anyone yet heard that I have 3 discs successfully burned? Clearly, VP worked for those 3 discs.

I've provided all of my settings and error messages. I'm trying to understand why 3 discs burned successfully in between all of the other failures. 

Does anyone have an answer?

Can only speculate that Express Burn uses the same technology as VP?   If so, results would be expected to be the same.

The two VP measures that might help are to reduce the write speed, and to try a -R disk - preferably a -RW so no more coasters are created.

That exhausts my suggestions.

• 1 year later...