Fading text transition color issue

ashleyquick

Here's the specific issue I'm experiencing:

I have a moving clouds video loop and white text above it (I'm creating a lyric video). Each text clip connects with the next and I have set a fade transition. Instead of the prior just disappearing as the next fades in, the color briefly turns to a dark grey. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

That's not keying correctly.  Let someone test it ...

With your project on the time time line, click FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT.  Upload every file that results to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.

Make the link public and post it here.  Someone will check things out.  If there are many files, zip them first, then upload the ZIP file.

If the file is lengthy, upload a segment that displays the issue.

The underlying problems appears to be that the key and fill signal timings are different.  But there are other issues with transitions on text files...

After a trans is chosen it often cannot be changed to another transition.  Sometimes this can be overcome by removing the initial transition, clearing cache, then specifying the new trans.  Further, it appears that many transitions for this particular operation are simply not available.

An alternative is to stagger and overlap the text files as demonstrated here and use the Transparency (opacity) effect with animation editor instead of a transition.

For demo purposes, shown below, the first text has no fade up.  The second has an up and out.  The third has no fade out.  For each file, presets were first specified, then the blue line was dragged to the desired position/s, creating keyframes.  Dragging a keyframe dot horizontally changes the fade duration.  For animation info see HELP (?).

VP_key_text.jpg

Hi

Definitely a problem with the FADE and CROSSFADE Transition when applied to text clips. (. png images of the text also have the same problem.)  Perhaps NCH should take a look as text fading is a required feature of any video editor and one really shouldn't have to overlap text clips to achieve a proper crossfade (or simple fade).

Follow Borates instructions above. Add a 2 second fade to the end of the first text using the Transparency (Opacity) effect. Drag Text 2 up to Video track 3.  Overlap it on Text 1  by 2 seconds and add a 2 second fade-in using the Transparency effect. As this shortens the overall duration of the second clip extend it by 2 seconds  by dragging the right hand end out to the right.

The relevant area should look like this...

9a6369b8ede58214298de9c8bedcaa1a.jpg

Nat

Hi

The fade (or crossfade) transition shows this bug.  This is a single white text clip "AAAA" set over a grey blank.To make it clearer there is no following clip. It has a short Fade transition added. The text fades as shown in detail below.

kT4ox.jpg

It starts off normally and about 1/3 of the way through the transition it is complete (Image 4) but then it reappears in grey (images 5-7) before it fades out about 1/2 way through.

The fact that this is a transition without a following clip and it is a .png image may have a connection to what occurs but fading out like this  works OK with  normal clips.

Nat

Ok so I tried adding Transparency (opacity) effect instead of the Fade transition for the final two seconds of each clip. I also staggered the text clips as suggested...to no avail. It's still fading to grey before disappearing.

I am using version 5.03...would this still be an issue with the newest version? I haven't upgraded because I've liked things the way they are.

Hi

VP version 5.03  DOES have a Fade problem noted above when a TRANSITION is used.  (Fade or Crossfade)

HOWEVER ..I have just tested this with VP version 5.03 and even when the TRANSPARENCY EFFECT  is used, the fade-out behaves in exactly the same way as the FADE TRANSITION.  i.e. It fades and then reappears again. So your observation is correct.    Offhand I can't think of a way around that ☹️ except to try 6.01 (Or until NCH take a look. (I filed a bug report)

Using the Transparency method though does seem to work in VP version 6.01

Although your version of VP (5.03) does behave incorrectly, your reply I think suggests you didn't set it up correctly in any case..

" Ok so I tried adding Transparency (opacity) effect instead of the Fade transition for the final two seconds of each clip. I also staggered the text clips as suggested...to no avail. It's still fading to grey before disappearing. "

It's not the final two seconds of each clip.?

If you overlap the clips by, say by 2 seconds on the different overlay tracks  as mentioned in the posts above , it's the LAST 2 seconds of the LOWER clip should have a fade-out of 2 seconds  and the START of the UPPER   clip should have a fade-in of 2 seconds. This means that one fades out as the other fades in.

Nat

This is a bug in fade transitions (fade, cross fade and fade through white).

At the moment we can use transparent effect (as Nat did) to workaround the issue.

Thanks for bringing this up . We'll get it fixed.