Is the rotate video effect only capable of rotating clockwise?

simplicitydown

Seems like a minor detail but important in some cases, I am able to use the rotate video effect to rotate a picture clip a given amount over a given time, but only clockwise...I have watched youtube tutorials on the subject, searched the libraries and can find nothing...
I am sure there is something dead simple eluding me on this one ?
Thanks you guys are the best - my young kids absolutely adore the few video compilations that I have managed to complete of the super crazy fun times we have together (going to the zoo, air park etc...) - sometimes it seems like watching what we did in awesomely-dad-directed form afterward is almost more fun then the actual original experience ? - In any case, if I figure some of this stuff out, all the money and time will totally be worth it for the legacy that our videos create.
Thanks so much.

Hi

Should be no problem...

For CLOCKWISE rotation of the image the START value is set to 0.00 and the END value is set to 360....

880dd99fc98bf798f36c43b403409434.jpg

If you want the image to rotate ANTICLOCKWISE the START position is set to 360 and the END position is set to 0.00 .....

539629e628254cced3f446a7e7bcc962.jpg

Obviously you can use a different value other that 360 to obtain degrees of rotation.

Nat

• 1 month later...

But then what if you want the video to rotate 20 degrees counterclockwise from 10 to 350, for example? There's no simple way to pull that off.

For now, we can do this to rotating from 10 to 350 degrees counterclockwise:

1. Add first key frame at the beginning.
  2. Add a key frame at the middle of the rotation animation (when it should be 0 degree)
  3. Add another key frame next to the middle key frame. Move the key frame toward the middle key frame until two key frames at the same time position.
  4. Add the last key frame at the end.
  5. Set the rotation angle for the four key frames: 10 -> 0 -> 360 -> 350

Hi

" But then what if you want the video to rotate 20 degrees counterclockwise from 10 to 350, for example? There's no simple way to pull that off. "

Not too difficult actually..?

• Put image on timeline and use Motion effect to rotate it to your starting orientation.  Rotation = 10 deg
  • Add a Rotation effect and slide cursor to start of clip
  • Set rotation to 360 which effectively sets the image to its original orientation (10 deg)
  • Make keyframe
  • Slide cursor to end of clip
  • Subtract your desired rotation from 360 and enter the value obtained. (360 - 20 = 340 deg in this case)
  • Make keyframe
  • DONE

Image will now rotate from +10 deg to -10 deg anti-clockwise.

Nat  (PS....Is this link showing the vid?? )

On 7/26/2018 at 3:46 AM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

" But then what if you want the video to rotate 20 degrees counterclockwise from 10 to 350, for example? There's no simple way to pull that off. "

Not too difficult actually..?

• Put image on timeline and use Motion effect to rotate it to your starting orientation.  Rotation = 10 deg
  • Add a Rotation effect and slide cursor to start of clip
  • Set rotation to 360 which effectively sets the image to its original orientation (10 deg)
  • Make keyframe
  • Slide cursor to end of clip
  • Subtract your desired rotation from 360 and enter the value obtained. (360 - 20 = 340 deg in this case)
  • Make keyframe
  • DONE

Image will now rotate from +10 deg to -10 deg anti-clockwise.

Nat  (PS....Is this link showing the vid?? )

Doing that procedure with an image that covers the whole screen is gonna result in the corners getting cut off.

And yes, it does show. :P

Hi Ivan

Glad it plays for you.? For me it says "unsupported viewing environment" whatever that means. (Might be Firefox.)

" Doing that procedure with an image that covers the whole screen is gonna result in the corners getting cut off. "

Well, if you rotate any full screen image the corners will get cut off. In fact the corners get cut off in the above example but the arrow image is a transparent  .gif on the overlay track and the arrow itself, which is the only thing seen, was set up to be less than the screen height in size so it is always visible in itself whatever the degree of rotation.

You can of course use the Scale effect to size any full screen image to 2x in which case it will rotate (enlarged of course) but stay within the frame.

Nat