Distinctive ring unsupported?

Seth

The version of Unimodem in Win NT/2000/XP does not support distinctive ring. Does that mean it is impossible for distinctive ring detection to work properly with IVM using these operating systems?

I have a modem that somewhat supports distinctive ring (Creative DI5633). It doesn't give the RingA/RingB/RingC or Ring1/Ring2/Ring3 responses, but instead shows unique DRON/DROF sequences for each of my three distinctive ring numbers. I presume IVM would easily be able to use this information to distinguish the three rings if it had a direct mode of communication in addition to the TAPI mode. (It doesn't have a direct mode, does it?)

Of course, I'm not going to give up using Windows XP so is it even possible with a voice modem for IVM to distinguish distinctive ring numbers? If so, which modem is known to work and how does it work since this information isn't passed by Unimodem?

Also, is it possible for IVM to launch a program during the rings that connects directly to the modem (albeit briefly), takes the DRON/DROF information, determines whether it is Ring1, Ring2, or Ring3, and then passes that information back to IVM?

Thanks,

Seth

P.S. - IVM logs show all three rings reporting drn[1 (6000ms)] (or nearly 6000ms), even though they have very different DRON/DROF sequences.

-------

Update: 4/23/06

By the way, I turned my DRON/DROF distinctive ring modem into a normal distinctive ring modem by adding to the following binary values to the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

\Unimodem\DeviceSpecific\Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5633::Creative::Creative\Responses

"<cr><lf>DRON=19<cr><lf>"=hex:18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"<cr><lf>DRON=9<cr><lf>"=hex:19,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"<cr><lf>DRON=5<cr><lf>"=hex:1a,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

I chose DRON=19, DRON=9, and DRON=5 because these appear only in Rings 1, 2, and 3, respectively. (These values need to be customized -- I opened Program\Accessories\Communications\Hyperterminal to determine these.) The binary codes on the right are for Ring 1, Ring 2, and Ring 3, respectively.

I also removed the standard reponses

"<cr><lf>DRON =x"=hex:91,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"<cr><lf>DROF =x"=hex:92,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

from the registry key

Now, looking at the modem log (using the Modem Control Panel), I see correct responses to various rings. For example, to Ring 2:

04-23-2006 00:17:09.421 - Recv: <cr><lf>DRON=9<cr><lf>

04-23-2006 00:17:09.421 - Interpreted response: Distinctive Ring 2

UNFORTUNATELY, IVM still registers all rings with the drn[1 (6000ms)]. Why? I presume because this wonderful Distinctive Ring N (N=1,2,3) information is not passed by Unimodem to IVM!

Does anyone know of any case where IVM has distinguished DRNs in WinNT/2000/XP?

I would be happy to replace the three binary value above with any three values if they were passed by Unimodem in WinNT/2000/XP and if IVM could interpret these responses as drn[1 ()], drn[2 ()], and drn[3 ()].

I also tried replacing the 0x18, 0x19, 0x1a codes by 0x98, 0x99, 0x9a for single, double, and triple ring, respectively. Again, the rings were interpreted properly as Distinctive Ring 1, 2, 3 as seen in the modem log, but again this information was probably not passed by Unimodem to IVM, which continued to register drn[1 ()] for all three rings.

The version of Unimodem in Win NT/2000/XP does not support distinctive ring. Does that mean it is impossible for distinctive ring detection to work properly with IVM using these operating systems?

I have a modem that somewhat supports distinctive ring (Creative DI5633). It doesn't give the RingA/RingB/RingC or Ring1/Ring2/Ring3 responses, but instead shows unique DRON/DROF sequences for each of my three distinctive ring numbers. I presume IVM would easily be able to use this information to distinguish the three rings if it had a direct mode of communication in addition to the TAPI mode. (It doesn't have a direct mode, does it?)

Of course, I'm not going to give up using Windows XP so is it even possible with a voice modem for IVM to distinguish distinctive ring numbers? If so, which modem is known to work and how does it work since this information isn't passed by Unimodem?

Also, is it possible for IVM to launch a program during the rings that connects directly to the modem (albeit briefly), takes the DRON/DROF information, determines whether it is Ring1, Ring2, or Ring3, and then passes that information back to IVM?

Thanks,

Seth

P.S. - IVM logs show all three rings reporting drn[1 (6000ms)] (or nearly 6000ms), even though they have very different DRON/DROF sequences.

-------

Update: 4/23/06

By the way, I turned my DRON/DROF distinctive ring modem into a normal distinctive ring modem by adding to the following binary values to the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

\Unimodem\DeviceSpecific\Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5633::Creative::Creative\Responses

"<cr><lf>DRON=19<cr><lf>"=hex:18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"<cr><lf>DRON=9<cr><lf>"=hex:19,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"<cr><lf>DRON=5<cr><lf>"=hex:1a,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

I chose DRON=19, DRON=9, and DRON=5 because these appear only in Rings 1, 2, and 3, respectively. (These values need to be customized -- I opened Program\Accessories\Communications\Hyperterminal to determine these.) The binary codes on the right are for Ring 1, Ring 2, and Ring 3, respectively.

I also removed the standard reponses

"<cr><lf>DRON =x"=hex:91,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"<cr><lf>DROF =x"=hex:92,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

from the registry key

Now, looking at the modem log (using the Modem Control Panel), I see correct responses to various rings. For example, to Ring 2:

04-23-2006 00:17:09.421 - Recv: <cr><lf>DRON=9<cr><lf>

04-23-2006 00:17:09.421 - Interpreted response: Distinctive Ring 2

UNFORTUNATELY, IVM still registers all rings with the drn[1 (6000ms)]. Why? I presume because this wonderful Distinctive Ring N (N=1,2,3) information is not passed by Unimodem to IVM!

Does anyone know of any case where IVM has distinguished DRNs in WinNT/2000/XP?

I would be happy to replace the three binary value above with any three values if they were passed by Unimodem in WinNT/2000/XP and if IVM could interpret these responses as drn[1 ()], drn[2 ()], and drn[3 ()].

The only way to accomplish distinctive ring answering using IVM is to put a distinctive ring router ahead of the modem/voice board. You will also need a voice board with multiple ports to answer each routed call with a different outgoing message. Let know if you need a source for ring routers or voice boards.

I was under the impression that UNIMODEM in WinXP does not support distinctive ring, but that they had not removed support from the TAPI Windows service itself. Isn't this right?

If so, why is it necessary to use UNIMODEM to communicate with the modem? Aren't there any voice modems with their own TAPI drivers? If not, don't some of the telephony boards have their own TAPI drivers and couldn't they support distinctive ring on Windows XP?

P.S. - Aren't there any cheats possible? In other words, three effectively unused binary values that could reach IVM via UNIMODEM and be interpreted by IVM as the three distinctive rings drn[1 ()], drn[2 ()], and drn[3 ()]? (See post above for how I turned the Creative DRON/DROF modem into a true distinctive ring modem.)

• 2 months later...

Don't know if this will help with your problem, but I had similar issue using a CallUrl 4LV+ - i.e. two distinctive rings each showing as DRN 1 (6000ms). Set the "use minimum ring interval" to 3000ms - then made the calls again - this time the DRN numbers were the same (1), but the milliseconds were 6000 and 4563 respectively. I took the difference between the two numbers, divided by 2 and then added that amount (rounded up) to the lesser number - i.e. 6000 - 4563 = 1437 / 2 = 718.5 + 4563 = 5282 (rounded). I plugged this number in as the "use minimum ring interval" and voila - the DRNs now show as 0 for one line and 1 for the other line. Everything works properly.

Hope this helps ...

Regards, Dave Melnyk