How to "close" any "open" bin file

Gracie

I'm really new to VideoPad...and this must be simple...but I cannot figure out how to CLOSE an item in a bin that I've only opened so I can review it.  I've  made no changes. 

Is the step to SAVE AS its original name?  Haven't tried that.

Thanks.

SAVE overwrites the existing VP control .vpj file.  SAVE AS allows for a name change.  It's wise to incrementally number several generations of a project - just in case.

A file in a bin can be previewed or added to the time line, but it's not "open" as such.  To get rid of a file in a bin, click on it and press the <del> key or right-click|DELETE.

If the file is on the time line a warning prompt will appear.  Even if the file won't be used in the project, it can be left in the bin.

Thanks so much.  Learned a lot from your response...most importantly that "file in a bin...is not 'open' as such."  Without that bit of info, I never would have considered DELETE as an option. 

However, if the video file is not "open," how do edits that are saved in .vpj get married to the video file.  Instinctively, I had already begun, as you suggested, incrementally numbering the progressing .vpi project.  And just now I was horrified because I spent two hours on edit #2 that I was celebrating because I completed a fairly complicated segment, saved the project-2.vpj -- and the video clip doesn't have the new material. 

How do I view my newly edited project?. 

Thanks, again.

Hi Gracie

Any clip, whether it is in the clip bin or any of the timeline tracks can be selected and previewed in the Clip Preview window. If the clip in question is only in the Clip bin and you click it, it will appear in the  Clip Preview window, but Not in the Sequence Preview window which only previews the timeline. In a sense the clips you have added to the timeline are the only ones you have "opened" You can delete any of the clips in the clip bin as Borate says (opened" or not but if you have "opened" them (i.e. put them on the timeline), VP will ask you if you want to do this action as it will also remove the clip from your sequence. If, on the other hand you select the clip on the timeline and delete it, it will be removed but remain in the clip bin.

As you edit your video....add clips to the timeline and then split and add effects etc. The steps you perform are saved in the background by VP. If, at some point you Save the project, VP creates a text file containing the names and locations of all the clips you have in VP as well as details of the effects, edits etc you have made. This is given a name by the user (e,g, "My Video") and is saved in a designated folder as My Video1.vpj   VP also saves copies of all your loaded clips as well as thumbnails and stills in a Cache folder.

When you open My Video1.vpj VP reads the text data and then recreates the project using the files saved in the cache.

Now.....if you continue to edit and then use Save project once more, My Video1.vpj is overwritten by a new My Video1.vpj  You won't get the opportunity to alter anything the old file is simply overwritten and your original edit and its .vpj file  is lost. This is OK in some respects but it is sometimes useful to be able to go back to the previous edit.

If you think you may want to do this then you should use the option to Save Project As. This allows you to enter a new (and different name) ...e,g, My Video2. There is no overwriting and you will have a second .vpj file to return to.

If you did this then you should have a .vpj file called project-2.vpj (somewhere)

Nat

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I spent two hours on edit #2 that I was celebrating because I completed a fairly complicated segment, saved the project-2.vpj -- and the video clip doesn't have the new material.   How do I view my newly edited project?

At the top-left of the VP screen, click FILE|RECENT PROJECTS and see if the latest is listed.  Clicking the chevron to the right of the OPEN icon may offer the same  choices.

Click on the path shown there and that project should open - as long as you have not moved or deleted any of its files.

Nat, thanks much.

I do have a project-2.vpj - the one I saved just before posting my last entry.  It does NOT have my changes.  I seriously need to troubleshoot what I did wrong.  I've spent the entire day on this and thought I "had it."

23 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

but if you have "opened" them (i.e. put them on the timeline), VP will ask you if you want to do this action as it will also remove the clip from your sequence. If, on the other hand you select the clip on the timeline and delete it, it will be removed but remain in the clip bin. 

I did move my project video clip (.avi) from the bin into Timeline...I do not recall VP asking if I wanted to.  I merely dragged it into Timeline.  It did not remove the clip from sequence.  I was editing from there.  Making changes to the original video.  I'm not making little ones out of big ones -- I'm editing the original.  That's why I pulled it into the Timeline.  I thought that was the direction to go.

I have a screen shot to show you, but I don't know how to attach it. 

Really appreciate your efforts.  This is so important to me and part of a presentation I'm making at a major convention.

Gracie

57 minutes ago, borate said:

top-left of the VP screen, click FILE|RECENT PROJECTS and see if the latest is listed. 

borate, thanks. 

No luck.  I found the .vpj file exactly as I named it and exactly where I saved it.  I had already opened it before I sent the ALARM message, but I tried it again, just in case.

At least I still have the time-consuming, layered image that I created in order to edit the video.  Tomorrow, I will try to re-insert it as well as I did today!  Meantime, perhaps additional feedback may prevent me from making the same mistake again!

Thanks, again.

If the project was saved by a specific name, and it wasn't overwritten, then it should open exactly as before.  Occasionally, the program becomes confused.

Click OPTIONS|DISK tab and click the Clear Unused Cache Files button, then attempt to load the .vpj once again.

To post a screenshot here, see the 'sticky' post at the top of this forum, titled "Tips for getting help."   Also note the tutorials.

The procedure for editing is to drag clips from the bin to the time line (the sequence).  They will remain in the bin where they will display a green check mark if used in a project.

Hi Gracie

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I have a screen shot to show you, but I don't know how to attach it. 

Inserting an image into a forum post.

•     Do a screensave or have a suitable image available to demonstrate your point. (e.g. a jpeg)
  •    Goto   https://pictr.com and click "Start Uploading" This will open a File upload window.
  •     In the File Upload window navigate to your image
  •     Select the image and click Open.
  •     Click the green Upload button. Your image will be uploaded to Pictr.com
  •     When upload is complete scroll down and click Embed codes
  •     Copy the Image URL. (It also has a Copy option if you hover over the text so click the word Copy that appears )
  •     Return to the forum and in your post place the cursor where you wish your image to insert.
  •     Now click Insert other media at the bottom of the post.
  •     Select Insert image from URL. This opens up a window above your post.
  •     Paste your Image URL that you copied from Pictr.com followed by Insert into post...

The image will appear in your post at the position of the cursor.
    Left clicking on the image will allow it to be suitably sized in the body of your post.

Nat

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I did move my project video clip (.avi) from the bin into Timeline...I do not recall VP asking if I wanted to.  I merely dragged it into Timeline.  It did not remove the clip from sequence.  I was editing from there.  Making changes to the original video.  I'm not making little ones out of big ones -- I'm editing the original.  That's why I pulled it into the Timeline.  I thought that was the direction to go.

Hi Gracie

You quite properly dragged and dropped your video clip (.avi) to the timeline to edit it. VP won't ask if you want to........THAT reference in my post was related to deleting a clip from the clip bin that was already on the timeline. i.e. deleting a clip containing a green tick.?

If you manage to get your work back  or manage to recreate it: Save it.......

• Click the Green File tab and select Save Project File As or click the down triangle next to the Save Project tab and select the same option.
  • Enter or navigate to a suitable destination folder
  • Enter a suitable project file name
  • Press Save

That should save your project as a .vpj file at the stage you have got to.

Nat

5 hours ago, borate said:

'sticky' post at the top of this forum, titled "Tips for getting help." 

Couldn't find the sticky that you suggested, borate. Was going to try Nat's 11-step suggestion, but step #2 gave me an warning message that pictr was "not secure… Configured improperly." so I did not proceed. I'll see if I can possibly use Greenshot to create a URL but that will have to wait till later today. I must step away from this tech challenge and work on the content of my presentation.

I'm not giving up, I'm postponing. Meantime, I remain very grateful for your assistance.

Gracie

Hi Gracie

Pictr.com  works just fine and is for Secure Image hosting, and there is no need to create an account. I use this site quite a lot and have no problems with it so not sure why that message came up. 

e.g. This a .jpg  screendump (Alt+Print Scrn) of their main screen  placed in this post using the steps I have described......

3d859093793286c4e37cabd585b4d0ec.jpg

But by all means try the other options.

Nat

9 hours ago, Gracie said:

Was going to try Nat's 11-step suggestion, but step #2 gave me an warning message that pictr was "not secure… Configured improperly." so I did not proceed.

Using Firefox?  The security warning shows up here as well, but not in the Edge browser.

Doesn't seem a cause for concern.  Add Pictr as an exception, then proceed as Nat describes, or use another free server.