Setting rotation point at center

jeuxjeux20

Here's a way to accomplish what you seek.

1. Type the letter (or text line)

2.  Click the far-right positioning box to place the letter near screen-bottom

3.  Add the text clip to the time line

4.  Bring up the ROTATE effect

5.  In the preview screen, drag the letter to the exact center of the 'globe'

6.  Plot the rotation keyframes

7.  Use the POSITION effect to reposition the letter (or full text) if desired

Hi

You show a letter "a" rotating.

In fact it IS rotating around its centre.  With this font the character "square" is actually a rectangle with the  letter set below the centre.  ....

8b532e1d399c7e4e83a35e3b1f17b61d.jpg

When printed in the centre of the screen the rotation effect rotates the screen image  around character RECTANGLE  centre and not the centre of the actual character which is slightly lower (Yellow box). The black cross represents the screen centre and the character rectangle centre which are coincident.

2d017d7dc3994d0caa64db5974ae6108.jpg

The clip frame or any correctly centred regular shape would rotate correctly around its centre. A line of centred text would actually appear to rotate reasonably OK (depending on the font) but would still be be doing the same but in this case the displacement of the height centre would be tiny compared with the length of the line.

Borate has one solution.....and another which might work is to use the POSITION effect to  pull up the character and centre it by counting the chequer board squares on each side. Now apply the rotation effect. Note that this solution rotates the FRAME containing the text around its centre. But as the frame has been displaced it should correct the fault.

Although probably not relevant , Webding characters are square.

Nat

Hi Borate

I can't see from your image whether you have altered the Vertical value of the rotation point as they are a bit too small to see. (They look like they are still 0.00)  The preview of the "a" also suggests this as the centre dot is is above the centre of the character .(It's like my top image where they are 0.00 and the thumbnails and timeline are OK).

What happens to the thumbnail line and the timeline when you change the vertical or horizontal position values? I brought the vertical value down to -16 to centre the character.

Nat

Hi Nat,

Placed the dot dead center of the letter (see above) as in your pic.  Vertical setting:  -10.00 in this case, but tested your -16.00 as well, with and without the rotation element.

The thumbs do vanish, but only momentarily.  This with beta 6.10.

Hi Borate

The actual value  entered in order to centre the character depends on the font size obviously. But I have repeated this and still both lines are blank. All is OK when the values are set to 0 but as soon as any other value is entered...either with the up/down arrows or manually, the tracks go blank. Just noticed I am currently using 6.01 Professional Licensed version.  Is 6.10 Beta available for looking at?

A bit later.... I have added some rotation animation and the thumbnails flickered  repeatedly as presumably the frames are created and eventually the tracks  appeared correctly. Bit weird. I suppose that VP doesn't know what to do until Motion is activated with keyframes so it just clears the tracks and waits?????

Not to worry though I have several hours of short VHS films to copy, edit and put on DVD but I don't suppose I shall have any rotation effects to do.?

Nat