Upgrading from 2.41 . . . then downgrading again

ad101867

Hi, all.  Haven't posted here in a while.  I've been making do with 2.41 for several years now, never being quite satisfied with newer versions.  But now I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest edition.  I have 2 questions:

1. If I upgrade to the latest, will it import semi-completed projects made on 2.41?
  2. And if I don't like the upgrade and want to switch back, do I simply uninstall the latest VP and then reinstall 2.41?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Open one of the vpj files in notepad and check the first line. If it reads version10indexxxxxxxx.... then it will probably load in 6.01. but at the end of the day it's a case of suck it and see. (VP 2.41 is quite old and format of the data may have changed.)  and if VP does try to load the files required to reconstruct your project then they would have to be on the PC in the original folders. If not you will get a message up with the original location details and you will have to "Resolve" the problem by browsing to the missing files.

If you still have your vppsetup.exe file for 2.41 and the original registration code then you should be able to safely uninstall the program and install 6.01  If you don't find version 6.01 satisfactory (it will take a bit of getting used to as there have been many changes) you can safely remove it using the control panel and revert to 2.41 by double clicking the old exe file. You will need to enter your original registration code.

Nat

Thanks, Nat.  I've never had a registration code for VP; I've only ever used free versions.  Opening my latest VP project in Notepad gave me this in the first line: "version=5hindex=397368folders=1"

Will that, or lack of registration numbers, cause a problem?

3 hours ago, ad101867 said:

Thanks, Nat.  I've never had a registration code for VP; I've only ever used free versions.  Opening my latest VP project in Notepad gave me this in the first line: "version=5hindex=397368folders=1"

Will that, or lack of registration numbers, cause a problem?

I checked this out by uninstalling version 6.01 and loading version 2.41 with which I generated a small project. The vpj file started "version=5hindex.... etc) as expected.  On reloading 6,01 I found that this project loaded OK.So I think your query is answered.

If you have always used the free version then I assume your vppsetup .exe for 2.41 is a free version and as such will work as it did before with some limited features as presumably you didn't use a registration code. Uninstall it from the control panel in the usual way and then download the latest free version from here:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/software/free-downloads.html

Double click the vppsetup.exe file for 6.01 You will find there has been many enhancements since your old version and it may take you a little time to find your way about.

Nat

Okay, gave it an initial shot.  It loaded the project i'm working on, but when I tried rendering it there were sound drop-outs.  It was as if I hadn't edited those spots or something.  Why would it do that?  Does it have something to do with the render settings?

Nat, please help me out!  I decided to uninstall 6.01, then reinstall 2.41.  The first go-round, the program asked if I simply wanted to downgrade to the previously installed version, so I clicked "Yes."  That appeared to give me back 2.41.  However, when I loaded my project, everything looked normal but there was no sound!  So I decided to do a full uninstall, and then reinstall 2.41 from the downloaded exe. file I have.  But still no sound when I load a project!!  What the heck???

Hi

I have no idea why you have no sound but downgrading to the previous version may be the reason. I quite regularly revert back to an earlier version of VP to check up various queries  and delete my current version via the Windows control panel removing any data files at the same time. (Indeed, I did just that to look at you initial query.) This means that the new install made from the setup.exe file whichever it is runs OK. So if you have your 2.41 vppsetup.exe file,  use the control panel to remove 6.01in the normal way. You might then  manually delete all references to VP and NCH in any relevant folders which may be left and if you are experienced,also any registry entries. (Make a backup in case of problems or create a restore point before you do this.) There are also removal programs such as REVO.. https://www.revouninstaller.com/

which will do a clean install.

Nat

First--yes, I can confirm that (a) both audio soundtracks are displayed in the timeline, and (b) I've tried loading other items that I knew had no problems playing in other applications.  

However--Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!--it's fixed!  When I had first installed 6.01 to try it out, I remember that just before closing it I had set VP's own volume control to zero, cuz I didn't want to annoy my wife who was also in the room watching TV.  Then I closed the program, later uninstalled it, reinstalled 2.41, and found I had no volume in the old program.  So, just now, on a whim, I reinstalled 6.01, made sure the volume level was turned up to full, THEN used Revo to uninstall 6.01 - and THIS time used the "Advanced" scan rather than just "Moderate" - THEN reinstalled 2.41, and everything's back to normal!!! :D

So, Revo really was the key, as it turns out.  Thanks for suggesting it.  The Advanced scan saved the day!!!!!!!

Hi

Great! Glad it's working OK now. I just reinstalled 2.41 again here to check other controls and as before it's OK....So now I'll swap it back. :)!   It's usually something simple in the end or "I've forgotten where that button was!"   BTW 6.01 has many more features than 2.41 (which I used back in 2011)...Still worth a good look at all the same. Best of luck.

Nat