Missing/Hidden Recording Features?

Rassoodock

I am new to WavePad and like it so far, but have three recording issues that I can’t seem to figure out. I am hoping they are just features I can’t find and are not missing from WavePad.

1. How do I see the waveform of the audio I am about to record before I actually record? My old sound editing program would let me see the waveform while I played the audio so I could properly set recording levels before actually recording.

2. Where do I set the recording levels?

3. How do I listen while I am recording? The “monitor” during recording is silent. I’ve had to wait until the recording is done to go back and play it to hear anything. There must be a setting I’ve overlooked.

Can anybody help a newbie out? Thanks!

I am recording audio through a Behringer UFO202 USB interface that connects to a tape deck.

I also cannot find how to adjust the volume during playback or select the output device within WavePad. It is "stuck" on LOUD and my headphone jack.

I hope the solutions are obvious and I'm just missing them. These are pretty basic features.

Thanks!

Maybe someone with more experience with what you are attempting will join in the discussion - I admit to never using WavePad for recording purposes myself. I think it really better suited for editing (which with I do have much experience.) But tomorrow I will attempt to configure my gear to simulate your configuration to get a sense of what you are saying. I'll report back soon. 

It has been a while since I recorded on my computer from a tape or phono source, but I always use the NCH program Golden Records to do so. 

Good morning. I have messed around a bit and experimented with recording from a cassette tape deck into WavePad. You are likely aware of much of what I state here; I am just trying to find common ground to better discuss the process. I used a windows 7 machine with WavePad version 5.1. Sorry if I get too wordy ....

Looking at the specs of the Behringer UCA202 it looks like the only gain control it has is for the headphone out. So the crux of your situation (and probably the reason you posted to begin with - duh) seems to lie in setting levels in WavePad, and possibly other sound settings in your computer. Apologies in advance for not addressing that at the moment, I will look further into simulating your exact configuration after I locate some other hardware from the depths of my closet. The usb interface I am using has output level controls for each channel.

An alternative would be to connect the tape deck to a stereo/receiver, and connect the tape out to the Behringer, then you could control the output level with the receiver. That is actually the method I use to record (with Golden Records) from a phonograph, and from my cassette player.

As a test, I have the rca out from my tape deck going into a Lexicon Alpha, and the usb from that connected to my pc.

When you click the Record button (red circle) at the bottom left of the main window (where the other transport function buttons are located) the Record Control window will open.

Here you need to set the Recording >  Device: using the drop-down pick your usb device. (I am also monitoring through the Alpha, so I chose it in the Playback > Device: drop-down.)

Clicking on the record button in the Record Control window initiates recording, and levels can be monitored via the Recording Volume display. A test would be required to set levels; but in answer to your first question in the op, levels while recording are displayed via a peak meter. You only see the waveform after the recording is finished and in the main window.

To finalize the recording (bring it into a file on the main WavePad window) you close the Record Control window (the X at the top right.) Now the waveform will display. Some trial and error may be required to get satisfactory levels set.

One thing I notice is that the Pause function isn’t active; you can only Stop the recording. After Stopping, if you start Record again you will lose the previous recording, so this seems to indicate that if you want to record multiple ‘takes’ you need to close the Record Control window after each ‘take’.

Another thing I noticed is that after closing the record window, the new recording will be placed at wherever point the cursor is positioned – no problem if it is a new WavePad session, or you have started a new file,  but something to be aware of if you are recording multiple sessions into the same file.  

This probably doesn't help you much, but thought I'd get all that out of my system. I'll get back later when I try something else.

Dan

edit to add: does you tape player have an output volume control?

My tape player does not have any output volume control.

Thank you so much for looking into this for me.

I should mention that I am using WavePad on a Mac.

My previous audio program made recording so easy. All I had to do was play the audio and set recording levels within the program. The problem with setting the levels outside the program is having to do test recording(s) to set the levels because WavePad does not let you look at the waveform before you actually record, or at least I couldn't find where that feature is located. This is a fairly basic feature and I am shocked it is so hard to find or perhaps not included. This is strange since NCH calls WavePad a professional grade program.

The two problems I am experiencing that I cannot find any workaround for are:

1. Not being able to listen while recording. There is no audio output whatsoever during recording. Is there some menu or checkbox that I am missing? The only way to hear my WavePad audio within the program is to stop recording and play the file, which leads to my second problem...

2. I cannot find how to control the output device/volume of playback through WavePad. I select the output device on my computer and WavePad ignores it and only plays through my headphone jack. As an added insult to injury, it plays very, very loudly and I can't find a place to adjust the volume. Again, these are very basic features that should be a part of any audio program.

Am I missing something? Any help or guidance most appreciated.

Michael

Hey. I done been away from the forums for a bit; sorry if I left you hanging. I was hoping someone else would join in with regard to setting/managing input and output sound while recording with WavePad. Have you not found any solutions yet?

For the record, in case it isn’t clear, I am merely another user of some of NCH’s audio software. I check in from time to time with the forums of the software I use, either to glean more insight for my own use or to attempt assisting another user if my experience merits that I can.  Although I do applaud the moderators for joining in more frequently in recent times, often the response is just to open a support ticket. I will say that queries often are lacking enough detail, or difficult to decipher, or posted in the wrong forum! And response from other users is hit or miss, and often nil. 

So anyhow, the answer to your first query in your OP – you can only <visually> monitor the incoming signal while recording via a simple stereo gain meter (not a wave form display, which will only show after finalizing the recording.)

As a non-mac, pc user, I am not qualified to examine your settings – which could be computer and/or software driven – that control the input and output (headphone) volumes. I know that you have come here looking for help with this – and I was hoping that someone would be able to help. As you stated – it should be a pretty straightforward thing, one which I have not given up exploring btw, but I am distracted by other obligations most of the time ?

You should be able to do all you wish with that Behringer, although if it was me I would have opted for a slightly more advanced USB audio interface. Don’t give up on WavePad! It is great for working with audio files. It may take me until the weekend, but I will further explore the settings issue(s) and report back.

• 2 years later...

Hi - I, too am a brand new user of WavePad (version 10.16) with MAC (ver OS 10.15.3) and cannot get to 1st base with any of the WavePad tutorials  - (nothing will record) -  I presume that it is because I do not know how to set wavepad's audio, and recording preferences. Do you know where I can find a discussion of this?

thanks, Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Please can you confirm whether you issues were resolved? I realise this was an old posting but I have just purchased Wavepad and like you, I am transferring open reel tapes to my Mac vis a USB interface. I have set my audio settings and I am able to record without issue, I can also play back and hear my recordings,  but no matter how hard I try, I can't get any sound while I'm recording which for my project is quite important. If you have managed to resolve this, I would be extremely grateful for any help you can off.

Many Thanks, Mick H

Sadly, WavePad seems to be more of a program for editing and seems to throw in recording as an afterthought. 

I did solve my problem, but you may not like the solution.

Simply put, I had to run my audio through a mixer that had a headphone jack which, with an adapter, I was able to connect to a cheap pair of computer speakers.

In short, WavePad is missing a number of simple, commonsense features, and playback during recording is one of them.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:36 AM, MickH said:

Hi. Please can you confirm whether you issues were resolved? I realise this was an old posting but I have just purchased Wavepad and like you, I am transferring open reel tapes to my Mac vis a USB interface. I have set my audio settings and I am able to record without issue, I can also play back and hear my recordings,  but no matter how hard I try, I can't get any sound while I'm recording which for my project is quite important. If you have managed to resolve this, I would be extremely grateful for any help you can off.

Many Thanks, Mick H

Sorry to be so long in replying - I just stumbled onto your reply, did not know I had one. I am still at about same place, been too busy with other stuff and am ready to start back into Wavepad. I would like for Wavepad to be able to record what ever I can hear in my headphones and haven't been able to do that.  I too am using a Mac. I am not sure what Mac preferences I need to select- choices  for sound are are:  " INPUT, External mMic, MMAudio Device, Soundflower (2ch)".......OUTPUT, Headphones, MMAudio Device, Soundflower, Multi-Output Device".

None of the tutorials for' basic get started with Wavepad' that I have found mention setting preferences so I am about to use the "hunt and peck" approach.

bill

• 4 months later...

"That email address is in use by another member." - that cannot be - I am the "other user" - so I have used an alternate e-mail address...Hi all - sorry I have not replied sooner - I did not know that I had any replies - I didn't get any notification that I had replies,-  I did not solve my issues but put Wavepad on a back burner and I acquired and used  another program to do my recording of cassettes, and editing, then sending to another program  to record to CD.

Bill