How Do I Apply the Same Transition to An Entire Project?

Lance Asner

I'm making very simple slideshows for my family, often involving many photos. I would like to place the same transition after each photo. Is there a quick way to apply the same transition to my entire project, or must I manually set the same transition after each photo, many times? Thank you very much.

Select multiple clips.

Hold down <ctrl> and click specific clips.  Or click the first  clip, hold down <shift> and click the last to select that range.  Or, <ctrl-a> will select all clips.

Then click the X in the toolbar (not the one in the clips).  The transitions screen appears.  Choose one and it will prompt to APPLY TO ALL or APPLY TO ONE.

On 1/2/2018 at 7:23 AM, borate said:

Select multiple clips.

Hold down <ctrl> and click specific clips.  Or click the first  clip, hold down <shift> and click the last to select that range.  Or, <ctrl-a> will select all clips.

Then click the X on any of the selected clips.  The transitions screen appears.  Choose one and it will prompt to APPLY TO ALL or APPLY TO ONE.

I followed your instructions many times, but I can't get it to work. After <ctrl> for clips, <shift> between clips, or <ctrl-a>, there seems no indication that multiple clips were selected. When I then click "X" on one of the selected clips to transition, I see the transitions screen, I select Crossfade, and see the following "Freeze Clip Location" or "Move Clip Location". I am never prompted to "Apply To All". This is a wonderful solution and it would be really helpful. What am I missing? Thank you for your time and assistance.

I followed your instructions many times, but I can't get it to work. After <ctrl> for clips, <shift> between clips, or <ctrl-a>, there seems no indication that multiple clips were selected. When I then click "X" on one of the selected clips to transition, I see the transitions screen, I select Crossfade, and see the following "Freeze Clip Location" or "Move Clip Location". I am never prompted to "Apply To All". This is a wonderful solution and it would be really helpful. What am I missing? Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sorry for the redundancy but I'm new and I don't really know how to contact Mr. Borate.

My mistake.  Don't click the X on the clips.  Click the X (transitions button) in the toolbar.

Be sure that you are clicking on the video clips.   Or have clicked the focus to the clips on the timeline prior to pressing <ctrl-a>.

Don't just press the <shift> or <ctrl> key prior to selecting the clips.  Hold the key down while clicking them.

Hi

Yes it can be a bit confusing.

• Once everything is on the timeline.
  • Place the mouse cursor on the first timeline clip and right click to select it. (Not really necessary but helps)
  • Press CONTROL and A  together. This will select ALL the clips. They will change colour to show they are all selected.
  • Click the X Transition tab on the top toolbar. This will open the transition list.
  • At the bottom right of the  window enter the duration for your transition
  • Right click your chosen transition
  • This will open a control window. Select Apply to all Clips
  • Now choose to either Freeze the clip location   or Move the clip location.
  • All the clips will now get the transition.

If you are using still image clips choose The Freeze option. Video clips often come out better with the Move option, particularly Crossfade. Bear in mind that choosing to Move the clips will shorten the timeline.

Nat